Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What is harder chopin revolutiary étude or scherzo 1?  (Read 6897 times)

Offline max747

• PS Silver Member
I just finished the scherzo b minor by Chopin but I want to know if starting on the rev étude would be a step back. Some say it is one of the easier etudes but I don't know.I just started sightreading it for ten minutes and skipped around from section to section. The middle section and end contain some difficulties and thus I am thinking of pusing it what do I do
Seattle International piano festival search it up on google

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: What is harder chopin revolutiary étude or scherzo 1?
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:09:18 AM
Go for it.  I, personally think the rev. etude is more difficult.  At this stage play what you want.  who cares if something is more or less difficult.  You should learn ALL the etudes sooner or later!

Offline max747

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:44:13 PM
Thanks I was just wondering because I am trying to assemble a MTNA repertoire and slot of these competitions have restrictions like one romantic piece out of ur four pieces I do plan to learn the etudes at some point but if I use it in a mtna competition it will replace my scherzo. I like this étude and I will learn I am just not sure it will be now

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:41:41 PM
Thanks I was just wondering because I am trying to assemble a MTNA repertoire and slot of these competitions have restrictions like one romantic piece out of ur four pieces I do plan to learn the etudes at some point but if I use it in a mtna competition it will replace my scherzo. I like this étude and I will learn I am just not sure it will be now

I personally found the revolutionary etude far far more easier than the Scherzo by far. The patterns are similar throught. But i have a strong left hand. Its also alot shorter. But it depends on what techniques your more familiar with.

Offline max747

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:59:46 PM
Most say the scherzos are hard and I agree but I think the étude sounds difficult and it's kinda of like most bang for ur buck. U invest time to learn a two minute piece that sounds impressive versus u learn the scherzos which repeats like mad and gives the audience the same thing over and over so u have to lay each time diffrenrltly as ur hand gets more and more tired. Has anyone played both pieces becuz I've only done the scherzo .I have decided that I am going to learn the etude but away from my teacher as we are working on other reportoire. Thus I will be learning this étude on my own which should not be too bad but does anyone have any advice

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 06:03:23 PM
Most say the scherzos are hard and I agree but I think the étude sounds difficult and it's kinda of like most bang for ur buck. U invest time to learn a two minute piece that sounds impressive versus u learn the scherzos which repeats like mad and gives the audience the same thing over and over so u have to lay each time diffrenrltly as ur hand gets more and more tired. Has anyone played both pieces becuz I've only done the scherzo .I have decided that I am going to learn the etude but away from my teacher as we are working on other reportoire. Thus I will be learning this étude on my own which should not be too bad but does anyone have any advice

Well if you asked which would be better for a "bang" in a concert i may have said the etude. Just take the etude slowly, its simple as that, if you can play the schezro you shouldnt need much advice to play the etude. Just take it slow, no pedal when learning and keep it all even!

Offline max747

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 09:17:37 PM
Thnks for the advice no pedal seems to be everyone's advice for this piece so I will follow it. I just sightread the first the first two PGA and started playing it concert speed and it sounded muddy. I took off the pedal and it was better but I still need to slow down for more clarity what other etudes hav u played(chopin) becuz I also am working on 25/1(not very seriously becuz I don't think is virtuostic enough to put into a competion reotpore but it is a very beautiful étude) and I would like to get advice on this étude and or any others. I hope to do A few etudes ever year so that when I graduate high school I will have either op10 or25 under my belt.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 09:55:55 PM
I play both, but learned the Scherzo years before the Rev.

In my experience I find the Scherzo more difficult to interpret, but the Etude more difficult technically.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 10:25:16 PM
Both of these are not easy. They're freaking hard. I play both btw.

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 10:45:40 PM
i only studied the etude, the scherzo is so long!
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 10:52:34 PM
the scherzo is so long!

But there are many repeats!  :P

Offline max747

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 05:07:24 AM
Thnks everyone 4ur discussions this is my first post as I am new to pianostreet and u guys all seem to know alot.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 07:44:55 AM
Playing a chopin etude is never ever a step back, so don't worry about that :)

Offline m2r

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 05:40:56 PM
Playing a Chopin etude is supposed to challenge in some kind of technique go for it!

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 10:38:58 AM
First, you cant really compare those 2. Secondly, at that level it depends on your technique whether a piece improves you or not. Has nothing to do with level. Its not the way of thinking you should have.
1+1=11

Offline max747

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 06:58:52 AM
I think tar playing the rev. Étude could definately do something for my technique. Almost everyone's left hand could be stronger. It is just tat in a repotoiee which requires 1chopin piece,like in a competition,which one should I put in to impress and hopefully win. I have finished sightreading the  the Etude just this week and I performed the scherzo at a few concerts about a month or two ago. So now I am preparing for the nxt competition and which one should I pick.btw if anyone wants to know I am also planing to use a Scriabin étude a prokofeiv sonata and a Beethoven sonata

Offline joao975ca

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:14 PM
the scherzo is harder, but you should pick up revolutionary...after all, you'll have to play them all
Working on:
Bach - Toccata in f sharp minor, BWV 910
Beethoven - Sonata op.57, "Appassionata"
Liszt - "Aprčs une lecture du Dante"
Tchaikovsky - Concerto 1

Offline extremelyfatchicken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 09:38:13 PM
scherzo no 1 definitely.  although i've never played it, i've played revolutionary etude, and it's it's not that difficult once you get the arpeggios in the left hand.

Offline leonidli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 09:49:03 AM
The scherzo is definitely harder than the etude... the etude is not actually that hard I think, but for the scherzo, first it's much longer, second it's much more complex, and third the technique required is much more variegated and troublesome. Take a look at the fast sections (at the beginning and the end).

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 03:14:12 PM
I played both and I agree with the others: Scherzo 1 is much more difficult, with no doubt. The etude is difficult, I'm not going to be the first one who will underestimate the difficulties of the great Chopin etudes, but I also think that it's one of the more "playable" ones. The fast sections of the Scherzo are pretty uncomfortable to play but... I love it anyway ;)

Offline semplice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:11 AM
Hi,

I' ve played both, and I think, that the scherzo is by far harder than the etude.
It's not very hard to play the beginning of the presto "main" section. You need very relaxed wrists especially in the left hand.
In the agitato section it is very hard to keep your wrists relaxed. Playing the "main" presto section after the agitato section is very hard.
the Coda is't very hard at all. In my opinion the Horowitz Version of the chromatic scale is easier than Chopins version.
It was written, the Scherzo would be easier because of the repeats.
I think it is more difficult because of the "repeats"

Offline scott13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 02:18:51 PM
Scherzo is much much harder than Op 10 #12. Rev etude is based so much around patterns that once learned repeat frequently, the Scherzo is not like that at all, and i believe the Scherzo actually goes faster with a more challenging  harmony as well.

Offline werq34ac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 09:48:43 PM
I also am working on 25/1(not very seriously becuz I don't think is virtuostic enough to put into a competion reotpore but it is a very beautiful étude)

WOAH hold on. I was going to say that the revolutionary etude is easier than the Scherzo and that you should go for it since learning Chopin etudes is never a step back as someone said, BUT after reading that little snippet...
dude, judges hate people who show off with some virtuosic. I know a kid who won his state's mtna with a scarlatti sonata and a scriabin nocturne in the highest division. Guess what 2nd place played? Islamey. When it comes to these competitions, it doesn't matter AT ALL how difficult or how virtuosic your piece is. It matters how well you play it.

If you can play 25/1 well, the judges will probably find that more impressive than Op. 10/12.
Ravel Jeux D'eau
Brahms 118/2
Liszt Concerto 1
Rachmaninoff/Kreisler Liebesleid

Offline richterfan1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 01:10:18 PM
Scherzo ofc! Revolutionary Etude is a really good study for the left hand though

Offline jeffkonkol

• PS Gold Member
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 03:03:58 AM
scherzo will show a lot more range of interpretation... kind of demands it due to excessive repeats.  10-12 is pretty popular, which frankly may work against you in terms of a score.

to clarifywith respect to the etudes never being a step back.... they all feature an exaggerated attention to a certain technique.  If you happen to be well prepared for that technique, the piece may seem easy.  I think it is pretty universally agreed though that every technique that is focused on across the 24 is really worth developing.  Hence... it is never a step back to play one.  Even if it is an easier Etude, being able to really focus in on that technique is incredibly worthwhile.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 02:37:51 PM
The Sherzo doesn't sound that hard to me, I just don't know what Chopin was thinking with these particular rhythms and harmonies.

...AAck. Sorry. I can't post this with a straight face.

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 01:37:44 AM
the etude is so easier than the scherzo so, go for it!! its aggresive, it has musicality, expression, tension, really good for the left hand
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2

Offline werq34ac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 04:15:40 PM
the etude is so easier than the scherzo so, go for it!! its aggresive, it has musicality, expression, tension, really good for the left hand

But don't forget that the melody is in the right hand!
Ravel Jeux D'eau
Brahms 118/2
Liszt Concerto 1
Rachmaninoff/Kreisler Liebesleid

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 07:13:45 PM
But don't forget that the melody is in the right hand!
of course  ;)
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert