Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Debussy - Masques  (Read 14058 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Debussy - Masques
on: July 06, 2010, 01:28:48 PM
this is from a concert a couple of weeks ago.  here is the whole program:

Medtner - two fairy tales, op.20
Quentin Kim - Sonata in g# minor
Franck - Prelude, Chorale n Fugue
INTERMISSION
Debussy - Masques / D'un cahier d'esquisses / L'isle joyeuse
Bartok - Musiques nocturnes
Messiaen - petites esquisses d'oiseaux

masques is part of a tryptich of pieces taht apparently debussy was goign to publish as a second suite bergamasque... the other two are d'un cahier and l'isle joyeuse.

UPDATE: this is the video:

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy - Masques
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 02:03:53 AM
Hi anyhow,

"Masques" is not heard as often as it ought to be.  It's a vivacious piece, both brilliant and lyrical with touches of drama too.  I'm glad you chose it, plus you play it exceptionally well.  Thanks for posting it.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:31:06 AM
thanks!  this piece is great fun to play!! and it looks impressive as well...

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:17:21 PM
Brilliant performance!  This is real virtuosity. 

It is a sad day when so-called pianists cannot respond to well-played recordings, and only want to hear that that makes them snicker and feel superior.  Thanks for keeping the standard of the Audition Room high, and for keeping us who care about the piano sounding well, interested.

Walter Ramsey

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:00:15 AM
Thank you for sharing this piece you played and you did a great job in
keeping up the tempo and consistancy of this piece, although I've never
heard it, it's nice to hear new pieces in the Audition room(whenever I have
time).   :)
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:25:03 AM
You really have a great gift for the french repertoire.  LIke I said in the messiaen, your touch has that clean, nitid quality, coupled with a mastering of the pedal, that serves this music so well.  wonderful.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 10:28:14 AM
Hey!  Did you post the Franck?

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:11:56 PM
Brilliant performance!  This is real virtuosity. 

It is a sad day when so-called pianists cannot respond to well-played recordings, and only want to hear that that makes them snicker and feel superior.  Thanks for keeping the standard of the Audition Room high, and for keeping us who care about the piano sounding well, interested.

Walter Ramsey

well, whatever, but thanx for the words!
masques is fun to play and also the audiences really love it, sometimes telling me it was their favorite piece on the program... which actually surprised me

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 03:38:17 AM
for us ordinary John Does who love classical piano ..

one word...WOW!! ;D
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 12:46:10 PM
Brilliant, in every way!

Flawless....

Masques just went up a slot or two in my "what to play next" list.

:-)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:07:53 AM
for us ordinary John Does who love classical piano ..

one word...WOW!! ;D

i highly recommend masques!

:D

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 03:18:33 AM
Brilliant, in every way!

Flawless....

Masques just went up a slot or two in my "what to play next" list.

:-)

thanx for that!  i hope you do play it, and more ppl... its very satisfying!

i am embarassed to say i am slightly disappointed that noone commented on my l'isle joyeuse, which i thought when really well!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 06:18:21 AM
Where is it?!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 06:45:07 AM
Found it!

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 07:28:42 AM
andhow04

you're playing is of the highest level really. it is stunnning!

having said that, i'm sorry to threadjack but i'd really be interested if you could give some thoughts on this topic:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=37283.0

thanks

"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 06:59:43 AM
A very modern piece.  Superbly played, Andhow.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 12:49:04 AM
andhow04

you're playing is of the highest level really. it is stunnning!

having said that, i'm sorry to threadjack but i'd really be interested if you could give some thoughts on this topic:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=37283.0

thanks

thanks for the nice complimtn.  actually i played scriabin 8th sonata (badly), and i just used 12345 fingering for that passage, by that i mean i just played as many notes as i could in one hand position and then just moved it over.
that sonata is so hard, esp. when he combines all the themes... you just have to let your ear take over completley and dictate what your hand is doing.

actually i think thats why a lot of his music is just themes repeated in different keys, or with other themes added on top, because that way, you can just give in to the sonority and let something else take control.  you dont really have to "think" about it, but it has to "just happen" somehow. its hard to play because of that mostly, i think. and i thnk that is what makes his music most unique

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 04:35:51 AM
Masques is a piece that makes one marvel at the culture that was France at the turn of the twentieth century.  At the same time that Debussy was making this contribution to music, Henri Lebesgue was making his contribution to mathematics, and you still see it in college catalogues that advertise that Lebesgue integration will be taught in graduate level courses.  I'm happy to say I've studied both Masques on the piano and Lebesgue integration as a graduate student.  Masques is a very enigmatic piece, seemingly sitting on a rhythmic fence separating 3/4 time on one side from 6/8 time on the other.  I always feel a bit guilty about letting anything depart from the accentuation of 6/8 time, but anyhow's performance is very cogent and effective.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 06:11:00 PM
Masques is a piece that makes one marvel at the culture that was France at the turn of the twentieth century.  At the same time that Debussy was making this contribution to music, Henri Lebesgue was making his contribution to mathematics, and you still see it in college catalogues that advertise that Lebesgue integration will be taught in graduate level courses.  I'm happy to say I've studied both Masques on the piano and Lebesgue integration as a graduate student.  Masques is a very enigmatic piece, seemingly sitting on a rhythmic fence separating 3/4 time on one side from 6/8 time on the other.  I always feel a bit guilty about letting anything depart from the accentuation of 6/8 time, but anyhow's performance is very cogent and effective.

thanks for bringing up this old recording and your interesting comments... i dont know much about lebesgue, actually nothing at all ! , but it's true that enigma is at the heart of this masques piece.  its reputedly based (or inspired, or just relevant to) this painting by watteau called mezzetine:
https://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/watteau/mezzetin.html
where there is also an enigma between the emotional minstrel and the faceless, cold statue...

on a related note, i can't believe i forgot to post the video of this piece, so it is in the original post now.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert