Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How do you practice?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline ChiarinaWieck

• PS Silver Member
How do you practice?
on: July 20, 2004, 11:03:38 AM
I am interested in how most pianists choose to practice a new piece.  Please differenciate between those pieces that are easily grasped technically and those which are difficult.
Your replies will be very benificial to my studies!

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: How do you practice?
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 10:22:24 PM
In easy and difficult works I try to sightread what I can, but will only make one attempt.  I then learn the melody and set it to the rhythm, eventually adding in the other voices as I become more comfortable.  
donjuan

Offline Chris_Repertoire

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 12:56:17 AM
I just started learning hands seperate, that is memorizing the motions for both hands before I put them together.  

I intentionally work on music that is too hard to play just by sight-reading it off the page.

After I have a good action in both hands I'll start putting it together. I'll still spend a-lot of time working hands apart, trying to get a definite fingerings, working on speed etc.  

I just started learning pieces hands seperate and then putting them together.   I can't recomend this more ...  it's much easier when you do it this way to go right to the bars you are having a problem with and work soley on those until you have them.  When I learned pieces of music hands together I'dusually end up begining back at the begining of the section I was working on and play my way up to it.   ... When you learn with hands apart for some reason it seems much easier to disassociate a line of music and work on it in isolation.

Offline in_love_with_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 01:15:15 AM
I seem to be the antithesis to everything. I just sightread it a few times and by then it's memorized, and I work on the details. Liszt, Beethoven, it doesn't matter.
wOOt! I have a website now! It's spiffy!

Offline johnjwong

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 08:08:36 PM
i play hand seperate until i memorized the hand seperate for both left and right hands, i keep on practising hand seperate until my melody hand goes automatically and then join 2 hands together. I always break pieces into small sections like half a page and practise that, until you can play without breaks and memorized with hands together, I then proceed to next half page.

JK

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 01:53:23 AM
For a new piece I tend to start big and then get smaller. By this I mean that I sightread through it a few times, even if it's very difficult I think this is vital. I do this because it helps me to get an overall feal of strucure and form. Then I tend to break it up into sections and gradually make these sections smaller as I work more detail into it. Some people may prefer to work through a piece methodically from beginning to end, this doesn't work for me as I get fed up quickly and I also think that it restricts your understanding of the piece as a whole. As far as actual practice goes I use a lot of techniques such as playing slowly and loudly, with metronome, reversing dynamics etc. etc.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert