Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Schubert's Impromptus  (Read 7690 times)

Offline doryanne

• PS Silver Member
Schubert's Impromptus
on: August 11, 2010, 11:28:05 AM
Hi,
I started taking piano lessons last year in March and I am quite happy with my progresses.
I like very much Schubert's Impromptus, especially Op. 90 nr. 3 and Op. 90 nr. 4 and listen to them often. They seem like very difficult pieces to me which require very good technique. Of course, after 1 year and a few months I don't master this technique, but do you think that I will a few years? Or are these pieces that only professionals can play?
Thank you!

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert's Impromptus
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:31:11 PM
There's no way to predict your rate of progress or if you will be adequately prepared to learn those pieces after a few years, but it seems like a very reasonable goal.

In fact, Schubert's Impromptus are staples of the repertoire for advancing piano students.  I believe most sources would classify them as late intermediate/early advanced pieces, so there's no reason to think they're beyond the reach of amateurs.  (I would guess there are many YouTube performances by non-professionals of the two Impromptus you mentioned played to a more-or-less satisfactory standard.)
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert's Impromptus
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 12:39:12 AM
No reason you cannot aim for the Schubert Impromptus. I love them, too. I started piano at age 40. After about 2-3 years I could play the Op. 142 #2 Impromptu reasonably well; then I went on a Bach kick and left Schubert alone. At 4-5 years I could play the Op 142 #3 in Bb OK. And now, at 11 years into it, I can play the Op 90 #2 and am working on Op 90 #1. I'm now following the Bernhard "100 pieces you love in 5 years" plan (search for it on this forum), and should get to the Op 90 #3 and #4 by sometime in 2012. I work pretty hard at it, but I love it. So if you're motivated, no reason not to aim for the Impromptus.

There may be limits to what an adult beginner can do, even working really hard at it, but it's best to just assume that there aren't any and keep trying. It's all fun. And there's plenty of good, expressive music that's easier.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert