Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: End of semester recital a mere competition?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline doctor_ivory

• PS Silver Member
End of semester recital a mere competition?
on: August 19, 2010, 08:43:25 PM
I wasn't to sure where to post this topic but this teaching board seemed the most appropriate although I would like students thoughts on this to.

At the end of every teaching semester (i.e. each December and June) at the conservatory my instructor holds a recital where all of her students perform one or two pieces they have learned throughout the semester and invite family and friends.  Recently my instructor has been awarding prizes for the most technically proficient and the most musical performances.  For obvious reasons only the students who perform get to vote and nobody is allowed to vote for theirself.

My question is: doesn't this turn a simple recital where everyone is meant to just get together and enjoy some good music free of judgement into a informal competition.

My own opinion is that there are enough competitions people can enter throughout the season that we do not need to ruin a healthy enjoyable atmosphere with a undertone of competitiveness.  Especially as a adult beginner (although two years of playing probably does not qualify me as a beginner anymore, you know what I mean) it is not a particularly satisfying experience to be outperformed by a 12 year old and have that acknowledged so blatantly.

Am I out of line?  If not, should I discuss the subject with my instructor?
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
https://piano-wisdom.webs.com/

Offline honeywill

• PS Silver Member
Re: End of semester recital a mere competition?
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:24:44 PM
Is there a way of discussing this with your teacher without seeming to be too annoyed? It is possible that your teacher simply hasn't considered this viewpoint. As a teacher, I have occasionally done this sort of thing myself in the past, but decided it wasn't such a good idea. Now I award a sticker for each performance, and a small reward when a child has given three performances - OK, it isn't likely to appeal to the adults, but it rewards the effort of making a performance, rather than the standard achieved. Prizes, rewards etc are usually well-intentioned and your teacher may not have realised how this initiative has spoiled the recitals for you. I would definitely have a quiet word about it - preferably at the beginning of the next semester ie well before the next recital.

Offline soitainly

• PS Silver Member
Re: End of semester recital a mere competition?
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:30:13 PM
 You are right in that the teacher seems to be treating this recital as a competition. He may have reasons for doing this, if he prepares his students for competitions then they may be more successfull later in outside competitions, which in turn will enhance the reputation of the teacher. There is nothing inherantly wrong with this, everyone needs strategies to get ahead. If you like everything else about the teacher and the conservatory then just look past the competitive part if that is something you find distasteful. Just play your best and treat it as a normal recital, don't worry if a kid "beats" you, there will always be better players.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert