Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: CD's in piano pedagogy  (Read 3173 times)

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
CD's in piano pedagogy
on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:28 AM
In the spirit of piano pedagogy, I wish to contribute something to the world by providing an audio reference which i think can be very useful to many teachers and students. I am soon to release my CD's of Burgmuller op. 100 and op. 109. Next year, i am scheduled to publish the complete Clementi's, Kuhlau's, Beethoven's Sonatinas and "Favourite Piano Piece for Students". Are there any other sets of student pieces which you think I should also do? All suggestions are welcome. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Teguh Sukaryo
dignity, love and joy.

Offline soitainly

• PS Silver Member
Re: CD's in piano pedagogy
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:19:52 PM
 I think this is a great idea, as a student I find it hard to find good recordings of beginner pieces. I often search YouTube for inspiration and interpretions, but usually the versions are played by other beginners so don't offer much in the way of musicality. I am surprised some big name players don't record these easy works, I think this would be highly marketable. Even though some might think this would be selling out, a true artist should be able to make meaningful music without it having to be technically demanding. On the rare occasions where I hear the greats record these works, they play them so fast that they lose thier musical meaning.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:05:09 AM
I think this is a great idea, as a student I find it hard to find good recordings of beginner pieces.
yes, this is exactly the reason of my recording student pieces.

burgmuller op. 100 : https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=38253.0
burgmuller op. 109 : https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=38255.0
dignity, love and joy.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:58:30 AM
Fur Elise, WITH the middle part, which most ppl never even heard...

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:07:32 AM
please also refer to my post in your other thread.  have you seen the schirmer performance editions?  While I applaud your efforts to provide a teaching reference, I think they may have beaten you to the punch.

https://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?seriesfeature=GSPERF

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:32:13 PM
Honestly I would love to do it myself, but I do think Macdowell deserves greater exposure out there. I believe that it is at least partly through pieces like these that pupils can develop true admiration, love, passion, and sensitivity for music. I love the poetry attached to many of his set pieces, loved playing one of them when I was a kid, and love sightreading them today.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:34:04 PM
please also refer to my post in your other thread.  have you seen the schirmer performance editions?  While I applaud your efforts to provide a teaching reference, I think they may have beaten you to the punch.

...so it's about time that somebody does the job properly I suppose.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:02:58 PM

thanks for the input, scottmcc. i learnt about the schirmer a while ago and found out that they have recorded quite a bit, but by no means everything. for instance, instead of recording all kuhlau's n clementi's sonatinas, they only recorded 6 each, no duvernoy, no diabelli sonatinas, nor some other teaching materials. of course, i dont intend to compete with them. they are a whole army whereas i am on my own. rather, i tend to think of providing choice of what's going to be available. all pepsodent is limited, i'd like to see other brands of toothpaste.
dignity, love and joy.

Offline sonatainfsharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 03:25:00 PM
Please do a professional recording of Gliere's Op.31 before I break down and pay tons of money to do it myself!

I can't find a recording of this set of amazing pieces outside of one or two of the movements here and there on YouTube (and, sorry, even the best efforts are hack jobs overlooking the basics of musicality in interest of just getting the notes).

Just make sure to notice the intricacies of inner-voice melodies in most of the movements which everyone seems to blatantly overlook...!

Offline kathyschmidt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 04:35:53 PM
I have looked extensively for this as well and have come up short. So---yes---please record Op. 31
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert