Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Alkan's Sonata and Liszt's Sonata: Similarities  (Read 7197 times)

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Alkan's Sonata and Liszt's Sonata: Similarities
on: August 28, 2010, 05:46:15 AM
There are some similarities between the second movement of Alkan's Grande Sonate Op. 33 (1846) and Liszt's Sonata in B Minor S. 178 (1853). I explored these and made a video comparing some parts I found similar.

I'm not saying Liszt totally ripped Alkan, but I am fairly certain that these are not coincidences.

Enjoy!

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Alkan's Sonata and Liszt's Sonata: Similarities
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:09:00 AM
I don't really think that the similarities tell anything interesting. It is like when say i look at Ragtime composers, they may sound the same but that's because of the style and era they composed in, it is a similar style but totally different spirit.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:17:26 AM
There are some similarities between the second movement of Alkan's Grande Sonate Op. 33 (1846) and Liszt's Sonata in B Minor S. 178 (1853). I explored these and made a video comparing some parts I found similar.

I'm not saying Liszt totally ripped Alkan, but I am fairly certain that these are not coincidences.

Enjoy!

I think that this is one of the most interesting things ever put up on pianostreet! Having given the matter some thought again this morning (not for the first time, as I had pondered this previously), I am inclined to believe that we are indeed largely in the realms of coincidence here. I am not sure just how well Liszt would have known his friend's Grande Sonate at the time that he came to write his own sonata, but one of the most remarkable aspects of Liszt and Alkan is the sheer extent of the differences in their works, given that they were two of the greatest piano virtuosi of their day who also composed and played the organ. No - I think that the two works still function pretty much independently, actually, although your illustrations are good and at the very least thought-provoking!

It is curious, though, how the fates of these two sonatas differed, Liszt's being not only a major repertoire piece but one of his best known works over very many years while Alkan's Grande Sonate disappeared into obscurity as one of the least known of his major compositions until Ronald Smith and one or two others revived it within the past half-century!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:45:09 PM
Well, there is reason to believe Liszt may have known of this work, because he did know of some of Alkan's other music, especially the Trois Morceaux Op. 15 (which he reviewed himself and was impressed with).

And of course the works are vastly different, because Liszt was definitely too good of a composer to just rip Alkan off altogether.

Interesting responses here vs. the other forum I posted this in!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert