Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Tchaikovsky 1! Greedy?  (Read 4323 times)

Offline pianorama

• PS Silver Member
Tchaikovsky 1! Greedy?
on: August 28, 2010, 06:45:49 AM
I've chosen Tchaikovsky's 1st piano concerto (the first movement) to play in a concerto competition, and frankly I don't know if my piano teacher will just laugh when I tell him of this plan of mine. Well, I know he won't (he's too cool for that ^^) but I am facing fear of the... hugeness of this piece. I did Grieg's piano concerto a little over a year ago, just the 1st movement also, which actually turned out quite well, but I mean whoaa Tchaikovsky is sort of on a whole other plane. I feel like such a little kid right now asking what you guys think but I'm wondering if anyone else thinks I'm being over ambitious. Right now I'm going for it and I plan on going for it, but I'm scared of not having enough time or ability to do a really awesome job. I just love it too much though, I can't help from having magnificent visions of myself on stage with orchestra and, and... *dreams*

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tchaikovsky 1! Greedy?
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:54:43 AM
The questions that come to my mind are (1) when is the competition, and (2) whether you'll be learning the concerto from scratch or perhaps have at least played around with parts of it previously.

I can't speak to the issue of your ability, but I do think you're right to be concerned about the time element.  Needless to say, it's a big piece—so trust your judgment, and that of your teacher, about whether the deadline is realistic for working it up and playing it well.
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline kuya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:51:10 AM
You sounds like you really love that concerto.
Id say go for it, its a gamble sure, but I think you'll be able to give it a special feeling.
Just give your best in learning it and play it how you want it to be played :).

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:46:43 PM
If you can do all those stupid little rolls, fast octaves, and overall just feel natural playing lots of big chords and things like that, you should be fine with this concerto. Practice hard! :)

Offline pianorama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 06:36:30 PM
The questions that come to my mind are (1) when is the competition, and (2) whether you'll be learning the concerto from scratch or perhaps have at least played around with parts of it previously.

I can't speak to the issue of your ability, but I do think you're right to be concerned about the time element.  Needless to say, it's a big piece—so trust your judgment, and that of your teacher, about whether the deadline is realistic for working it up and playing it well.

Oh here we go I thought I mentioned that. I have approximately 8 months (eep), as I believe the competition is in April sometime. And yes it's more or less from scratch.

If you can do all those stupid little rolls, fast octaves, and overall just feel natural playing lots of big chords and things like that, you should be fine with this concerto. Practice hard! :)

This made me laugh. Yeah, like the octave cadenza... that will take some practice xD.As I said for now I'm going for it and I'll get to talk to my teacher soon about it.

Edit: come to think of it, it's not really a cadenza I guess. I was just thinking of a particular solo octave passage.

Offline eddie54

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 07:56:09 AM
Obviously this is one of the biggest concertos out there, so there's always going to be a certain  way people like it played....

Have you played any other concertos besides Grieg?  This concerto is very demanding, since when you listen to it, you take a lot of things for granted.  Superb technique will help you tremendously as well as larger hands and quite a bit of stamina.  Finding that balance in lyricism and lightness is something key for the first movement. 

Can I ask what other pieces you've played before that you put a lot of time into?  You'd be surprised what pieces win concerto competitions....just really comes down to how well prepared you are and not about who comes in with the hardest concerto....

Offline pianorama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 03:57:14 AM
Umm, I've recently finished grade 10 RCM exam, which I played :

Bach: Prelude and Fugue C minor, book 2
Beethoven: Pathetique (1st and 2nd mvmt)
Chopin: Waltz in Ab major op... 30 no. 2?
Debussy: Clair de lune
Ginastera: Rondo sobre temas infantiles argentinos

as well as a couple of studies, coming away with a mark of 90. Thoughts? Anyway, I'm chipping away. I'm having difficulty but at the same time progressing and... Too late now to turn back anyway so, haha. Who knows, I'll tell how it goes.

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:55:35 AM
Hi, I know that ill probably get booed for this, for busting your dreams, but after seeing the repertoire you posted just now, my answer is dont do the concerto. Not yet.  Even if you did a great job with the Grieg it doesnt matter.  There are alot of great concerto's to choose from, other than this one.  Though to be fair if you where to post a small part of the Grieg Concerto , maybe people could give you a more informed view.

Cheers, Becky

Offline pianorama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 02:32:48 AM
Hi, I know that ill probably get booed for this, for busting your dreams, but after seeing the repertoire you posted just now, my answer is dont do the concerto. Not yet.  Even if you did a great job with the Grieg it doesnt matter.  There are alot of great concerto's to choose from, other than this one.  Though to be fair if you where to post a small part of the Grieg Concerto , maybe people could give you a more informed view.

Cheers, Becky

It's okay, I know I have taken a huge chew to swallow (? :P) but I mean I've put months into it. Oh well, I'm giving it my best shot. And speaking of Grieg... I have it recorded somewhere... Maybe I will get motivated enough to figure out how to post a video, haha. Grieg was... Ok. I will post here if it goes up!

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:47 PM
I really do not think that 8 month is enough for the first movement.
Do not think that you can play this concerto as well as you might think that you will be able to play it. I mean, to play it is one thing, to execute it in a competition is a totally different matter.
    It is indeed quite ambitious. Please put it aside and try something else.
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 05:13:01 PM
I really do not think that 8 month is enough for the first movement.
Do not think that you can play this concerto as well as you might think that you will be able to play it. I mean, to play it is one thing, to execute it in a competition is a totally different matter.
    It is indeed quite ambitious. Please put it aside and try something else.

8 months not long enough for the first movement? Sure, it takes time for things to settle/solidify, but IF YOU HAVE THE CHOPS for this piece, to musically pull it off is quite simple, haha! Now Brahms concerto, yes you need a while for that, but I feel that Tchaikovsky 1 is rather superficial.

Offline precipitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 02:17:51 PM
i have to agree... after seeing the pieces you have played i feel its one massive massive step before you reach the tchaikovsky 1. i am also going to play the 1st movement for competition, and i had 4 months to prepare, but i say im well prepared. technically its a real beast. where? everywhere. musically.... just see tchaikovsky and you know how much music is required to produce the vast atmosphere in his works. i really feel that your repertoire is quite small.... very sorry >.<

Offline keyboardkat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 05:24:01 PM
What about all those leaps in the first movement?

My practice suggestion for these would be to practice the jump intervals by themselves, out of context.   Also, try practicing blindfolded.   It will sound horrible for a while, but you will eventually develop a "mental picture" of the keyboard and just how far you have to move, just as basketball players practice shooting for the basket with closed eyes until they develop that sixth sense of where the basket is.

Also, remember that the shortest distance between points is a straight line.  Stay as close to the keys as possible.   Large movements of the hands up away from the keyboard and down again waste time and energy and accomplish nothing in terms of what actually comes out.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert