Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Fingering in Haydyn  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Karin

• PS Silver Member
Fingering in Haydyn
on: December 20, 2002, 06:58:02 PM
I've run into fingering difficulties with my Sonate.  

I have EDITION PETERS Nr. 713a
HAYDN SONATEN I Urtext

They have you crossing the pinky under on a descending scale in the right hand.  I thought this was illegal.  Is it an advanced practice?

If anyone has my book, it is on the 2nd page, 2nd line, 1st measure.

THX  Karin

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingering in Haydyn
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 01:06:46 AM
i looked at my edition and the 5th on  f  looks like the only playable fingering possible cause of all the tied notes. i think you'd be hard pressed to find a better fingering without totally hopping around. it's not illegal. whatever works technically and musically works. i'm playing a scriabin etude with "insane" fingering, but it works really smoothly in context. i don't believe in all those no thumbs on black key rules and such....

Offline 88keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2002, 02:17:01 AM
I happen to have the "Dover" edition, which is arranged by Hoboken numbers. It seems that Hoboken #1 is not the sonata discussed here, and you did get me quite curious...

Anybody knows the Hoboken number of this Sonata? Or some other way to uniquely identify it?

If not, the key it is in will certainly narrow down the possabilites...

Offline Karin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2002, 05:46:27 AM
Me again!

classicalarchives.com calls it No 12 Eb

Would some people move the hand and pedal?  I don't know if that would be appropriate.  

about thumb on a black key, I've done that one an octave chromatic scale, that's it

Karin

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2002, 08:44:14 AM
:)

Crossing the pinky under is definitely not illegal, but I consider that sort of move to be a "last resort" fingering in order to maintain a required legato when either the lead-in to the spot or the passage after the pinky requires one or both fingers to be where they are.  I have a couple of pieces with similar, if not icky, fingerings.  It's not that bad, but definitely seek alternatives before you do it on a regular basis (unless, of course, you really like it).

And it IS sort of like the thumb on the black note thing.  I hate doing it, but sometimes, after all the fuss, it's really the only way out.
So much music, so little time........
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert