Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: modulation  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
modulation
on: October 04, 2010, 04:18:30 PM
I think I finally understand how gradual, common practice era modulation works. Basically, you proceed through a progression of chords that are common to the start and destination keys, and then when you reach the chord of modulation (perhaps the dominant of the new key), you might want to do some kind of cadence to help establish the new key (maybe hit the tonic of the new key briefly, then move back into a cadence as though to say: yes, we've really arrived in the new key) Is that basically it? Or is there more to it? (aside from the obvious fact that there are hundreds of ways of doing this).

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Re: modulation
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:11:04 PM
I think that's a nice way of putting it.

Offline schartmanovich

• PS Silver Member
Re: modulation
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:07:08 AM
Your summary sounds fairly accurate to me; however, I think it can be put more simply.

For a gradual modulation:

1) use a chord that is common to both keys and move toward a non-cadential progression to I of the new key

2) confirm the key with a cadence (HC, IAC, or PAC)

To have an authentic cadence of any kind, the penultimate dominant must appear in root position and usually has a 7th attached, but not always (i.e. V7-I NOT V6/5-I or any other variant with an inversion). A complete cadential progression will also include a pre-dominant chord to precede the V7 (e.g. II6, Fr6, IV6, VI, and a host of others).

Here is an example of a simple modulation from I to V

Key of I: I - V4/2 - I6 - VII6 - I - [V4/3] of VI - VI
Key of V:                                                    II - "I6" - II6 - V4/2 - I6 (non-cadential) - [V6/5] of V - V7 - I

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert