Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: my student can't see the dynamics!  (Read 2431 times)

Offline pprelude

• PS Silver Member
my student can't see the dynamics!
on: October 12, 2010, 05:07:57 AM
any good way to help this kinda students?  They keep ignoring all dynamics.

Offline tdow

• PS Silver Member
Re: my student can't see the dynamics!
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 06:22:21 AM
Seems simple...but have you tried having them highlight the dynamics (themselves) on their page?  Choose one colour for each kind of dynamic and have them go on a "scavenger hunt" to find each and colour it with a bright colour so it is easily found. 

Often I find that students who ignore dynamics either don't have a touch-sensitive piano at home to practice on (and so don't hear dynamic differences regularly) or don't yet fully understand why they should care about dynamics!  Try recording them in their lesson first playing with no dynamic change, and then with.  Ask them which they prefer.  Hopefully they'll begin to notice the difference - and therefore stop ignoring the markings on their page.

Offline drorperl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:30 AM
I agree, the marking can do wonders. also "discussing" the dynamics of the piece/section before actually playing it, have the student describe to you the dynamics and only then playing, of course, slowing down the tempo can be a major help, since it allows more time to observe all the visual info on the page...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

https://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books
simple jazz & contemporary compositions that are fun for beginner pianists & up

Offline avguste

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 03:31:28 AM
Agreed with the above posts.
Besides circling or making them in different colors, I would also recommend constant reminder and repetition.
Avguste Antonov
Pianiste Concertiste
Professeur de Piano | Conservatoire Intercommunal de Chateaubriant

Offline kathyschmidt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:37:10 PM
I highlight as well, but I also sing along while they play and exaggerate the dynamics so they begin to "hear"them.

Offline mcdiddy1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 12:08:07 AM
Teach them the dynamics in the being by rote, in your counting. Have them experience what it feels like to play loudly. Reinforce it every lesson.

Offline sucom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 12:15:00 AM
One thing I tend to hear quite a lot is that they are concentrating so hard on playing the right notes, they actually miss seeing the dynamics.

When I'm pointing out dynamics to my students, I refer to the spoken voice, pointing out how boring it sounds to speak at only one level.  And then I demonstrate by speaking in a monotone.  They get the point immediately.  No need to highlight the dynamics after that! They see them easily enough. 

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:07:22 AM
while playing probably tell them when to change the dynamics. Demonstrate to them by what you mean by playing the piece and adding the dynamics yourself.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:08:46 PM
Identify the actual problem.

Are they actually ignoring it on purpose?
Do they really don't see it?
Are you not making it important?
Can they not hear the difference?

The problem could be visual, aural, cognitive, etc. Once you figure out why they aren't playing dynamics, then you can help them to play dynamics.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 11:11:43 PM
yell at them until they understand. they're bound to get the message the next lesson. Like I said, demonstrate to them what you mean. they have to absorb what you said before playing.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline miriamko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:51 AM
dynamics are not meant to be seen. They need to be part of the emotional side of music making.....the dramatic/ theatrical/sad/happy side. While teaching the notes, you may not want to ask for dynamics immediately, but they should be introduced as something to strive for in the near future. Learning "text" is basic but horribly unattractive if there is no "story" behind it. Use the dynamics as a prize. "if you know the notes of the first two phrases for the next lesson we can start the dynamics/story". I would never leave it until the end. It is like reading the words of a book and only at the end finding out who the characters are.

Offline matmilne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 11:04:32 AM
when students are still learning the notes, it's normal for them not to focus on the dynamics or other performance-related concepts.  In those cases let them play the piece until they think they're finished, then introduce them to dynamics.

composer, film, tv and games, and 24 piano concertos.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert