no
3 (18.8%)
yes
10 (62.5%)
play harder peices to work up to it.
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

The Complete Piano Works of 16 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by sixteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Is this peice too hard to play?  (Read 4186 times)

Offline ivorybabe247

• PS Silver Member
Is this peice too hard to play?
on: November 14, 2010, 11:56:42 PM
I really want to play the first movement of Waldstein by beethoven for my senior performance, it is quite lengthy so i would have to downsize it in some areas. I am a sophomore in high school. I'm very drawn to this peice.  I am playing scherzo by medelshon this year and Chopin's Waltz in A flat major next year. if i start on waldstien next year, playing it for two years, should i be able to pull this off??

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is this peice too hard to play?
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 12:03:05 AM
it is quite lengthy so i would have to downsize it in some areas.

If you need to this, I would suggest you leave it alone.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline hansscherff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:50:35 AM
I really want to play the first movement of Waldstein by beethoven for my senior performance, it is quite lengthy so i would have to downsize it in some areas. I am a sophomore in high school. I'm very drawn to this peice.  I am playing scherzo by medelshon this year and Chopin's Waltz in A flat major next year. if i start on waldstien next year, playing it for two years, should i be able to pull this off??

If you are going to dedicate two years to a single piece, i think chances are big you will detest it once you can play it.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:15:44 PM
You're going to down-size the waldstein in order to play it at a senior performance?!?!  What school, may I ask do you attend?  The short-cut tricks school of the performing arts?!

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:15:09 PM
Yes, it's too hard.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline ivorybabe247

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:00:19 AM
You're going to down-size the waldstein in order to play it at a senior performance?!?!  What school, may I ask do you attend?  The short-cut tricks school of the performing arts?!

It's not a school performance, its a recital but im not the only one playing. the length of the peice cant be over about 8 minutes

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:51:15 AM
But I'm assuming it's in a music school?  I doubt if they would accept a "down-sizing" of the Waldstein.  At least I HOPE they wouldn't.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:31:59 AM
Just play the first 6 pages and the last 6 pages and leave out everything in the middle.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 09:35:24 AM
Why not practice the arpeggios as an exercise? - make sure you get the technique right though.

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:39:07 AM
It's not a school performance, its a recital but im not the only one playing. the length of the peice cant be over about 8 minutes
If you really love this great sonata, give it the respect it deserves and find another piece to play at your recital. Work on the Waldstein and perform it intact when you are ready. Anything else would do Beethoven, the sonata and you a disservice.
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Offline katydid_mlad

• PS Gold Member
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:11:20 PM
There are SO many fabulous Beethoven sonatas to choose from--are you sure you want to take up one that you have to "downsize" to handle??   And by "downsize", do you mean that you would play only the first mvt., or that you would make cuts within movements?

A couple of things to consider:

Offline katydid_mlad

• PS Gold Member
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:38 PM
Oops, that one got away....

* The "Waldstein" is deceptive:  it's not that difficult to read (way under tempo), but it's VERY difficult to play really well at performance tempo.  There are control issues, voicing issues, pedaling issues, countless interpretive issues....  In addition, unless your analytical skills are good, there's a lot of important stuff (thematic relations, harmonic and key relations, to name just a few) that you'll likely overlook or underestimate the significance of.
* There is nothing unnecessary or uninteresting that you could cut from the "Waldstein" (or any other Beethoven sonata, for that matter).  Every measure--indeed every note of the "Waldstein"--is absolutely essential.  If you make cuts, you do serious damage to the structure and meaning of the movement.
* If you have to ask whether you could *learn*--as opposed to truly mastering it to a high level--in two years, it's almost certainly too hard for you...right now.  Surely you want a sonata that you can really do justice to, no?   It would be far better to choose a somewhat less demanding one that you could play beautifully and convincingly, than to give a half-baked performance of the "Waldstein".   
* Sounds from your answers to other posters like you will only be able to play one movement of a sonata (what a shame!).   If you have no choice whatsoever in that matter... listen to these sonata mvts, with score in hand (they are listed more or less in order of increasing difficulty).  Maybe one of them will really grab you (before somebody flames me for suggesting single mvts., let me say that if you have ANY choice in the matter, you should perform a complete sonata--every mvt. sheds light on every other mvt. in these works, and knowing all the mvts. will affect how you perform any individual mvt..  So at least study all mvts. of whatever sonata you choose, even if you can't perform them all in the recital!
Op. 49/1 in G minor, last mvt.
Op. 2/1 in F minor, lst or last mvt.
Op. 14/2 in G major, 1st mvt.
Op. 10/1 in C minor, 1st mvt. (the last mvt. is a bear!)
Op. 10/2 in F major, 1st or last mvt

Offline ivorybabe247

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 10:51:58 PM
Oops, that one got away....

* The "Waldstein" is deceptive:  it's not that difficult to read (way under tempo), but it's VERY difficult to play really well at performance tempo.  There are control issues, voicing issues, pedaling issues, countless interpretive issues....  In addition, unless your analytical skills are good, there's a lot of important stuff (thematic relations, harmonic and key relations, to name just a few) that you'll likely overlook or underestimate the significance of.
* There is nothing unnecessary or uninteresting that you could cut from the "Waldstein" (or any other Beethoven sonata, for that matter).  Every measure--indeed every note of the "Waldstein"--is absolutely essential.  If you make cuts, you do serious damage to the structure and meaning of the movement.
* If you have to ask whether you could *learn*--as opposed to truly mastering it to a high level--in two years, it's almost certainly too hard for you...right now.  Surely you want a sonata that you can really do justice to, no?   It would be far better to choose a somewhat less demanding one that you could play beautifully and convincingly, than to give a half-baked performance of the "Waldstein".   
* Sounds from your answers to other posters like you will only be able to play one movement of a sonata (what a shame!).   If you have no choice whatsoever in that matter... listen to these sonata mvts, with score in hand (they are listed more or less in order of increasing difficulty).  Maybe one of them will really grab you (before somebody flames me for suggesting single mvts., let me say that if you have ANY choice in the matter, you should perform a complete sonata--every mvt. sheds light on every other mvt. in these works, and knowing all the mvts. will affect how you perform any individual mvt..  So at least study all mvts. of whatever sonata you choose, even if you can't perform them all in the recital!
Op. 49/1 in G minor, last mvt.
Op. 2/1 in F minor, lst or last mvt.
Op. 14/2 in G major, 1st mvt.
Op. 10/1 in C minor, 1st mvt. (the last mvt. is a bear!)
Op. 10/2 in F major, 1st or last mvt

wow thanks you so much for your input! once i really tried to hash it out i realized it could give me tendinitis so i have decided to not play it for a performance after all. thank you for the input on the other movements  i haven't ever heard any of them but i am looking into them!

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 01:16:38 AM
hi : Question, have  you done  any other beethoven Sonata's. at least in my opinion you should have something like the pathetique well in hand. Im just finishing my first memorization on the Waldstein and I already had five other beethoven sonata's i could perform before starting it. I love this piece also. But, i would never dream of butchering it  by cutting out parts. 

I dont mean to sound negative or nasty, ( maybe to blunt)  - but there are so many other compositions to choose from of shorter length - that sounds like they would be a better fit. 

best of luck

Cheers, Becky

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:51 PM
do not i repeat do NOT cut anything from it.   
as becky said try working up to it with another sonata. have you tried op2 no 1?  that is a great one to actually try before you rush waldstein
this is a very difficult sonata.
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert