Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Haydn Sonata Hob.XVI: 23 in F-major  (Read 6404 times)

Offline viking

• PS Silver Member
Haydn Sonata Hob.XVI: 23 in F-major
on: December 01, 2010, 04:03:22 AM
Enjoy!

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn Sonata Hob.XVI: 23 in F-major
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:46:49 AM
Thanks for posting this! I watched it (listened), and did enjoy it very much. It sparks more comments about Haydn and how unspeakably fresh, refreshing and great his works are, than it does about your playing of this sonata, which is impeccable. I rule such a thing a success! The sonatas are here for us to enjoy; it's enjoyment for all ages. There is milk and meat and sparkle and depth - He was a person who never lost the wonder which is routine for humanity to lose...a child fresh with discovery is excited when he sees the moon and wants to share it with everybody, "The MOON! The MOON!" We, stale with the wear and tear of life miss such joy, "Yes, I've seen the moon." Haydn never grew out of that wonderful fresh state. His music reveals a man who in every stage of his life carried a wonder and a fascination with such childlike things. I wonder if a lack of appreciation for Haydn's music in our time is akin to this loss of wonder, and I dare not but think a person without love for his music is not much in love with life (Haha, I know people who think the same thing about Elvis...). But man...what to say? I adore his music in a serious way, even as I think it's important not to take it too seriously - they are here to be enjoyed. But, well...I enjoy leaves too, though I cannot comprehend the intricate designs of just one single leaf.

I only wish in your performance you'd take his repeats, if for no other reason than to prolong the enjoyment. 
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline viking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:16:18 AM
Furtwaengler,

Your comments are truly inspiring.  Haydn is surely one of the top composers who were able to directly infuse happiness into music.  I look forward to listening to your Mendelssohn Trio over Christmas break when time allows luxuries as these!

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:26:21 AM
A first rate performance.  Very well done.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:39:14 AM
That's a terrific performance, all around. The moment in the first movement with the sustained left hand trill is particularly wonderful and fresh. And as Furtwangler said, it reminds me of just haow great Haydn is.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert