Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Teaching Aural for UK Exams  (Read 1567 times)

Offline myrrha

• PS Silver Member
Teaching Aural for UK Exams
on: December 03, 2010, 11:30:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for some advice on teaching aural for the grade exams in the UK - does anyone use any books which are a bit more elaborate to train pupils' aural skills than the ABRSM books which seem to be written for the purpose of testing abilities rather than developing them? Would you share some ideas? Would be very grateful.

Offline honeywill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Teaching Aural for UK Exams
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:29:23 PM
I like the Alfred "Ear Training" series, which can be used independently of the Alfred Method books - I find them useful from the very beginning, and they have proved popular with students - useful for reinforcing theory as well.

I also like the Paul Harris "Improve Your Aural" series - I don't use every bit of these, but there are some useful exercises and I have developed some of my own ideas through reading and using these books.

I find the "Aural Time" series a bit more user friendly that the AB books.

Offline myrrha

• PS Silver Member
Re: Teaching Aural for UK Exams
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 01:35:26 PM
Yes, I am using the Alfed's book as well but it is not really enough - it kind of flies over different kinds of excercises not giving enough space to actually really learn the stuff. I always start off with this book but end up inventing more addintional excercises. And I do know the Paul Harris series - it is a good addition to the test papers but again, it does not give a lot of space and just generally not enough excercises. Aural Time is quite fun. I have been combining these things but was hoping to find another publication which has a lot more pages and excercises inside.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert