Piano Forum

Topic: Justin Bieber  (Read 3254 times)

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Justin Bieber
on: December 03, 2010, 12:40:18 PM
As much as this guy's name manages to infect YouTube discussions, I feel like creating this thread out of sheer numbness: Why is he popular at all? What's wrong with people? Or is he just a musical fad worshiped by young girls? When I first watched and listened to his music video "Baby" which right now has a bit over 400,000,000 (!) views on YouTube, I couldn't help myself but wonder: Does music become more popular if it becomes more stupid? I thought Pop Music reached the zenith of its stupidity with Lady Gaga, but Justin Bieber really proved me wrong.

Also, it turns out Michael Habermann's daughter is a fan of Justin Bieber as well. Make of that what you will.  :P

So, what are your thoughts on Justin Bieber, his fans, his music, the future of Pop Music and the likelihood of even further dumbing down of society and/or contemporary mass culture?

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Justin Bieber
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:37:52 PM
I've never heard the guy sing, but it's been a couple of decades since I've had more than minimal exposure to pop music.  I know what he looks like, though, and on that basis I'd guess that he appeals primarily to a demographic of teenybopper girls.  How old is Habermann's daughter?

Personally, I think everything "becomes more popular if it becomes more stupid" (and vice versa!).  I say that with deliberately broad-stroked, tongue-in-cheek hyperbole, but that correlation is the very definition of mass appeal.  The masses aren't expected to be brilliant or sophisticated.  And, perversely, when a rarefied niche interest does cross over to broader popularity, it tends to lose its cachet for the cognoscenti.

It's easy to feel that we're well on our way to idiocracy, but I suspect that it's always been that way.  There's no accounting for taste, and even "elitists" are known to have guilty pleasures.
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 02:49:50 PM
Justin Bieber is so boring!!  ::) I really don't know how can some girls like him so much!  :-\ ( but I'm a weird girl anyway)

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 03:15:08 PM
Justin Bieber is so boring!!  ::) I really don't know how can some girls like him so much!  :-\ ( but I'm a weird girl anyway)

Me too, so don't worry.  ;D

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:37:35 AM
People liked Milli Vanilli...
People liked Hanson...
People liked Jackass...
People like Justin Bieber...

My justification for this pattern of events??? Some people are attracted to the absolute crap of the earth. It seems that some people are attracted to idiots, and that those idiots take advantage of these morons who will watch or listen to pretty much anything.

Considering the music industry has gone from hard-working people who took the time to write songs and lyrics in their basements or hotel rooms 40 years ago... to the menutia that exists today with sound enhancement, major corporations writing the songs for these morons and auto-tuning, lip-synching, and the fact that now the music industry doesn't seem to give a flying f*** about the music anymore, but trying to now use their looks and bodies to sell their 'music' (if it can be called that)... This is the reason I don't own a radio. It's all s***!

I'm still praying for a sniper somewhere in america to take care of this little beiber problem...    ;D

Offline minor9th

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 12:38:32 AM
He seems like a genuinely nice kid, and I suppose he's not a bad role model as pop stars go, but his music sickens me.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:15:21 AM
He seems like a genuinely nice kid, and I suppose he's not a bad role model as pop stars go...

https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/bieber-tells-tv-staffer-to-not-fking-touch-me/story-e6frg30c-1225872063426

Yeah - he definitely seems like a genuine sh**... Oh I'm sorry, did I say that out loud???

Give me a break - you're telling me that he seems like a genuinely nice person??? You've got some low standards if you ask me.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 09:51:49 AM
Teeny-boppers come and go.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 03:03:51 PM
Teeny-boppers come and go.

Yeah, but this one hasn't f***ed off fast enough.

Offline minor9th

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 05:53:16 PM
https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/bieber-tells-tv-staffer-to-not-fking-touch-me/story-e6frg30c-1225872063426

Yeah - he definitely seems like a genuine sh**... Oh I'm sorry, did I say that out loud???

Give me a break - you're telling me that he seems like a genuinely nice person??? You've got some low standards if you ask me.

Since I don't have boy-crush on him, I don't hunt down every conceivable incident. I've chanced upon an interview or two and one fan interaction (with an adoring little six year old girl)--those are all I have on which to base an opinion. I'm sorry I don't have your vault of information.

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 05:56:18 PM
Deleted

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 06:14:35 PM
Shouldn't this be in the "Anything but music" forum?  ;D

Help is at hand.

https://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20005847-17.html
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 06:19:11 PM
Shouldn't this be in the "Anything but music" forum?  ;D

Help is at hand.

https://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20005847-17.html

Haha  ;D

is there somthing similar for Lady Gaga? I hate her with a passion...

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 07:41:58 PM
Incredible.  What kind of glass dome do I live under anyway?!  I only heard of and saw a picture of him for the first time 2 days ago in pianostreet.com.  Not that I was missing much, but still... :'(

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 08:47:01 PM
Incredible.  What kind of glass dome do I live under anyway?!  I only heard of and saw a picture of him for the first time 2 days ago in pianostreet.com.  Not that I was missing much, but still... :'(

Glass dome?

Survival tactic! :P

:o

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 12:18:14 PM
I saw and heard him only once in a short clip and he sounded out of tune.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline dapianokid

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 01:00:59 AM
He is most likely supported by Auto tune.
You are breathing. But now, your doing it manually. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxFI2cphuN0 <-- That's not music, it's a trip to heaven and back. :)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 02:14:23 AM
Justin beiber>Rebecca black.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline collectivecolors

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 02:25:13 AM
I personally, don't like his music, and I have successfully avoided almost every televised interview. I have to say, cut him some slack he's what 16 or 17? That's supposedly some of the worst years. I don't think I would want anyone looking at every time I messed up and using that against me. Or taking something I would regret doing and people thinking it's great. Not saying he's a good musician or a good person, but just saying he deserves at least a little empathy.
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”-Sir Walter Scott

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:20 AM
Justin beiber>Rebecca black.

No... JUST NO!!! They should both play russian roulette with each other... with loaded revolvers.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 11:24:26 AM
I'm saying they're both just as bad but I like beiber better if I had to choose between both of them. I reckon Beiber baby has a better singing voice than black. Black, on the other hand, overuses  on autotune. Besides Rebecca black is ugly. At one point Friday had over 1.5 million dislikes on Youtube. I hate them both! The thing that I hate about them both is that they both are already recording music at a young age. Shouldn't they be at school instead? I mean really if they fade from the music industry eventually they would have to find some kind of job to do. and Beiber! already dating Gomez. I read in an article once but it was probably fibs that they were considering getting married.

Friday, Friday gotta get down on Friday......

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 01:34:33 PM
I reckon Beiber baby has a better singing voice than black. Black, on the other hand, overuses  on autotune.

Yeah - Sure... Bieber has a much better singing voice than Black - it seems so clear now...

Yeah... of course - Justin Beiber doesn't use auto tune at all...

I'm sorry...

This is WHY I do NOT listen to music on the radio these days. They wonder why people still listen to classical music? Probably because the music today is SH!T... and that classical music still has bloody substance.

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 01:56:00 PM
LOL to the above!

I don't like him, but I don't really understand all the hate. I mean sure, he sounds like a girl, and some of his songs are pretty dumb. But his dream was to sing and I don't think people should interfere with it.

I think y'all will appreciate this:::
<3

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 02:00:51 PM
Rustin Heiber...the name's so funny....

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 04:23:55 PM
^I know!  :D Did you watch it?
<3

Offline collectivecolors

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 07:37:02 PM
Rustin Hieber is GREAT!!! A very good parody to "Never say Never".
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”-Sir Walter Scott

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:44 PM
Never say never....that is one of the dumbest song titles I've ever heard. Its contradicting itself.

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 08:47:34 PM
I know, I think that's the point of it.

Oh, and Rustin Hieber isn't actually that guy's name.. he just made it up. FYI
<3

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 10:29:24 PM
I don't like him, but I don't really understand all the hate. I mean sure, he sounds like a girl, and some of his songs are pretty dumb. But his dream was to sing and I don't think people should interfere with it.

Why all the hate??? Did you read my earlier posts?

Considering the music industry has gone from hard-working people who took the time to write songs and lyrics in their basements or hotel rooms 40 years ago... to the menutia that exists today with sound enhancement, major corporations writing the songs for these morons and auto-tuning, lip-synching, and the fact that now the music industry doesn't seem to give a flying f*** about the music anymore, but trying to now use their looks and bodies to sell their 'music' (if it can be called that)... This is the reason I don't own a radio. It's all s***!

Yeah - his dream was to sing... considering that most of the musicians on the radio today can't do that without enhancement - I think it's only fair we don't call them singers...

MIMES the real word for them. He's a pretty-boy MIME!!!

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 11:45:58 PM

Oh, and Rustin Hieber isn't actually that guy's name.. he just made it up. FYI

I know. It would be so coincidental if his name was Rustin Heiber.

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 01:21:28 AM
Why all the hate??? Did you read my earlier posts?
[quote\]

Are you saying you weren't hatin'? lol

<3

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 02:24:14 AM
I never said that... I hate the little snot so much I'd personally take a baseball bat to his smug-little face.

And it's not because of jealousy, it's because somehow idiots think this little brat has talent and has the ability to sing...

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 12:39:42 PM
He can sing... a little.
<3

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 12:49:21 PM
better than Blackie.

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 12:54:54 PM
I don't think i know who Blackie is. But at least he's not weird like Lady Gaga or someone like that. I mean who wears a trash can as a costume because when they were little they got thrown in one???

Lady Gaga.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a fan of him. But some of his songs are kinda catchy
<3

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 01:49:50 PM
Blackie is just a slang name I made up for Rebecca Black. If you don't know who she is, youtube Friday or rebecca black. It's gonna come up with something.

Offline collectivecolors

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 12:03:34 AM
I don't think i know who Blackie is. But at least he's not weird like Lady Gaga or someone like that. I mean who wears a trash can as a costume because when they were little they got thrown in one???

Um...I understand that Lady Gaga has some pretty creepy, ugly, revealing, and yes weird costumes but, if your saying that because of the fact she is "weird" means that she's less of a performer is in my personal opinion outrageous. I personally think it's better that she's a little weird. It's a lot better than her being a copycat. 

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 12:29:05 AM
I've got to give Gaga credit... I heard she is a very accomplished piano player... am I wrong, or is that just a rumour?

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 12:43:17 AM
I don't know but she definitely knew how to play the piano. Her singing is not bad but the standard has dipped a little. I prefer her older songs like telephone or alejandro.

Offline collectivecolors

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 12:53:36 AM
I went back and read, her Wikipedia article and it mentions that she had written her first piano ballad by age 13 but I don't think that says much considering we don't know if it was any good. Like pianoplayjl I do know she can play piano. I saw her play on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Offline opium_64

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 03:03:17 PM
As much as this guy's name manages to infect YouTube discussions, I feel like creating this thread out of sheer numbness: Why is he popular at all? What's wrong with people? Or is he just a musical fad worshiped by young girls? When I first watched and listened to his music video "Baby" which right now has a bit over 400,000,000 (!) views on YouTube, I couldn't help myself but wonder: Does music become more popular if it becomes more stupid? I thought Pop Music reached the zenith of its stupidity with Lady Gaga, but Justin Bieber really proved me wrong.

Also, it turns out Michael Habermann's daughter is a fan of Justin Bieber as well. Make of that what you will.  :P

So, what are your thoughts on Justin Bieber, his fans, his music, the future of Pop Music and the likelihood of even further dumbing down of society and/or contemporary mass culture?
I am no longer taking Piano Street seriously now that you've come along with your topic about something totally alien to me: Popular music

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 02:00:46 AM
Come on, this is the Anything but piano board so therefore it is meant to be not as serious.

EMINEM>>>>>>>>>Justin Beiber  ;D :D ;) :) :-* 8)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 04:35:49 AM

No... It's the fact that these days, it's mainly the record companies who are writing these songs, and passing them on to whatever dickhead agrees to sing them while completely throwing their dignity and integrity out the window to make a cheap buck.

Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Bieber - they lip synch, they use auto tune... they're talentless. They're basically just a bunch of Karaoke singers.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 04:38:42 AM
EMINEM>>>>>>>>>Justin Beiber  ;D :D ;) :) :-* 8)

I agree to that... I seriously do.

Eminem ∞> Justin Bieber

(It was so worth the 4 minutes of looking for that mathematical symbol)

Offline megadodd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 01:27:58 PM
Well, Gaga dosn't look very relaxed when playing the piano, so I guess she's not very used to it.
Repertoire.
2011/2012

Brahms op 118
Chopin Preludes op 28
Grieg Holberg Suite
Mendelssohn Piano trio D minor op 49
Rachmaninoff Etude Tabelaux op 33 no 3 & 4 op 39 no 2
Scriabin Preludes op 1

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: November 26, 2011, 11:37:09 AM
Finally! More haters, that's exactly what this world needs. How about do something constructive instead?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: November 27, 2011, 01:45:40 AM
How about do something constructive instead?

What... like going down to your local gun store, and buying a Barrett .50cal rifle with laser sighting and a clip of 5.56mm bullets, an air flight ticket to the country where he's currently on tour?

OH WAIT... You meant that in a sarcastic manner, didn't you?

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: November 27, 2011, 03:55:00 AM
What... like going down to your local gun store, and buying a Barrett .50cal rifle with laser sighting and a clip of 5.56mm bullets, an air flight ticket to the country where he's currently on tour?

Wouldn't that be ideal...But no need since he's slowly losing publicity and popularity. He's no longer seen in newspaper headlines and bulletins. Yippee! Eminem Rox'n rulz

JL
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert