Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Student moving on to a better teacher but isn't even ready!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline jenilyn

• PS Silver Member
I received a phone call today that my student was going to go to a "better" teacher.  She went on to say that I don't challenge her enough and that she wants a change.  I was shocked to hear this because I am constantly challenging her and she doesn't really take the challenge.  Her pieces are never prepared and she won't practice the minimum time I give her.  I am constantly telling her she has so much more potential if she would work harder.  The teacher she is going to, I have a lot of respect for and I don't want this teacher to think I am not doing a good job since she does send students to me.  This teacher will demand twice the practice time and she pretty much expects you to give your entire life to piano.  When she was with me, I never got that impression that she wanted to make it her life.  If she wanted that, I could have definitely made that possible!  She never even communicated to me that she wanted a challenge.  She in fact actually told me she needed easier pieces for the festival because she wouldn't be ready.  I gave her two easier pieces along with two challenging pieces to keep her going.  I would really like to let the teacher know that I did try, but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do.  I would also like to talk to my student about all this, but I am not sure if that is appropriate.  What have you done in this situation?

Offline honeywill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Student moving on to a better teacher but isn't even ready!
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:17:43 PM
Don't worry. Your (ex) student is lazy and is making excuses. Her new teacher will quickly find out what she is really like. How likely is it that this student will suddenly get herself together and start working really hard? Don't attempt to brief the other teacher - maintain a dignified silence and let the student's performance tell the real story. 

Offline avguste

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:03:51 AM
I actually, I would suggest the opposite. Talk to the other teacher privately.
It is always good to know what one is getting into.
Avguste Antonov
Pianiste Concertiste
Professeur de Piano | Conservatoire Intercommunal de Chateaubriant

Offline music32

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:27:33 PM
This is one of those coming out of the closet situations. Most teachers will not discuss these touchy issues and it's sad because we all ecounter them and  should want to share. I actually blog about things like this, with one of the most popular being, "A Piano Teacher's Worst Nightmare." (somewhere in the pile of writings at https://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

But to get back on track, if it were me, I would contact the new teacher and give her a rundown of the student's progress, and any particular bits of information that could be pedagogically pertinent. This doesn't have to be any kind of behavior related discussion. I know that if I get a transfer student, I literally do not even conduct an interview with a new prospect, until I speak with the previous teacher.. and it is both out of respect for the last instructor, as well as for acquiring information I would otherwise not get from the student or parents. I can write reams about this very soap opera like scenario, without breaking anyone's confidence and most of us would nod in recognition of similar experiences.

Just as an example I had a mom call me, tell me the name of the previous teacher whom I held in high regard, and make a statement about leaving that teacher that made me leery about taking on this newbie. To cut a long story short, the prior instructor gave me such an earful that anyone in their right mind would have avoided this opportunity like the plague, but as things played out the former teacher still wanted me to take one of the siblings who worked very hard. This can soon become another blog, but basically the mother showed up at the consult with the wrong child, and that game convinced me among others, that I didn't want to go further. Just a lot of mind manipulation and more..

So if I were you, just have the satisfaction of explaining a bit more about your teaching experience, and just maybe the new teacher will have pertinent questions for you.
https://arioso7.wordpress.com/2010/11/05/a-piano-teachers-worst-nightmare/

Shirley Kirsten
blogging at https://arioso7.wordpress.com
Grad NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
New York University (Master of Arts)
https://www.youtube.com/arioso7
Blogging at https://arioso7.wordpress.com

Offline jinfiesto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:54:58 AM
Hmmm, I typically avoid this issue entirely since I do not teach lightly and screen students very thoroughly. Since I don't need the money, I suppose my situation is different though and I can afford to be very picky about students. I would only contact the other teacher if you were worried about her thinking you're incompetent. Which should be readily apparent by the general quality of your studio anyways.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 06:52:45 AM
I received a phone call today that my student was going to go to a "better" teacher.  ....... The teacher she is going to, I have a lot of respect for and I don't want this teacher to think I am not doing a good job since she does send students to me. 

I'd let it go. The new teacher is unlikely to think less of you, anyway. If you call her out of the blue to talk about this student it will make you look insecure. The worst case scenario is that this student goes to the new teacher, works three times as hard as she ever did for you and becomes an outstanding concert pianist. And how bad is that? Not every pairing of a potentially great student with a great teacher works out anyway. If the student's mom talks you down to the new teacher, I think you can trust the new teacher to take it with a large grain of salt.

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:15:10 AM
you know, sometimes a student and a teacher just don't fit together personality-wise, and in that situation, the student will be less motivated to try hard to impress the teacher.  so you may not be seeing the full potential of this student.  anyway, I'd say if the kid doesn't want you to teach them, then good riddance--you'd only be frustrated if they stayed with you.  if they are truly a lazy student, then it will be readily apparent to any future teacher, but don't discount the possibility that they are better than you might think.  I say this because I've often had teachers (regular school teachers) think that I'm lazy or unmotivated, but really it was just that I didn't care about them coupled with the fact that I learn at a far greater rate than most people and as a result get bored easily.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're a bad teacher, just that for whatever reason you haven't connected with this student, and you can't expect to connect with everyone.  hopefully I've made some sense here.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:09:57 PM
Maybe it's not that? Sometimes students make up excuses because it's something else that's the problem. I had a teacher that didn't give me any technique at all, so first I told her that. When I said so my teacher got very upset, and said not so nice stuff. Then some time after I just made up a story, because I didn't know what to do.

Maybe it's the same with your? It seems kind of strange to say something like that, and then just change. Maybe you live too far from her, or is too expensive for her. I don't know, but it's a possibility.

Offline mcdiddy1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 09:50:45 PM
Anyone who was sat down and had a conversation with a middle school- highschool student can tell you the way they perceive situation is very different for the reality. When she says you didn.t challenge, she may mean you didn't inspire her to work hard or be better. Students like that often do not understand intrinsic motivation, motivation from within, is more telling of success than your teacher. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't not work hard. Based on what you have said, you have done the best you could to ensure she had success in what ever she did. You would do better not spending  the energy on words and let your teaching skill be shown in your students performances. I would not talk about the students unless the teacher asked about the student. She may have turned over a new leaf and begun to devote time to piano and be the model student for the new teacher by the time you are trying to "warn"  the new teacher. Then the  teacher will look at you like " you are the one with the problem".  Not everyones personality will connect with every student so its better to move on and enjoy the students who make the effort to learn.
If you feel concerned about your reputation, you can sit down with your former students and write down the pieces she learned, achievements, improvements she made, what she needs further improvement on etc. Run it by the students and have the student agree to what was said. It will show you are professional, organized, and you know what you are talking about, as well as show the student how much the student actually learned objectively. The new teacher would get a great impression of you, your knoweledge and professionalism and will be more inclined to send you more students when they see you took the time. It is much better than "warning" the new teacher and being involved in he said/she said mess.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert