Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: chopins mazurkas  (Read 2549 times)

Offline franklindriessen

• PS Silver Member
chopins mazurkas
on: December 26, 2002, 08:55:30 PM
I have the carl mikuli edition of chopins mazurkas and was wondering if it is adequate to play from because ive heard bad things about mikuli.  

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Re: chopins mazurkas
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 10:26:42 AM
like what?
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Re: chopins mazurkas
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 05:05:52 PM
Unlike many other composers, Chopin didn't leave a lot of information about how he played... He didn't have many students that were serious, and as a result, we don't know a lot about his playing philosophy... Mikuli was one of Chopin's advanced students... His editing style is sometimes away from the romanticized, hevily pedaled renditions of Chopin that we so often hear. He once said that the Black Keys Etude should be played ala Mozart. Anyway... All of that to say that I think his editing is fine... that is the edition of the Mazurkas that I have, and I've never seen any problems with it! Also remember, just because someone has placed some editing on the page doesn't mean that it is written in stone... Making the song your own thing sometimes means making slight changes to the phrasing, or dynamics of a piece!

Love,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert