Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Kaikhosru Sorabji piano score  (Read 1831 times)

Offline eugene_oneg

• PS Silver Member
Kaikhosru Sorabji piano score
on: July 29, 2004, 07:16:46 PM

Hi, I am trying to get the piano score for Sorabji's
St Bertrand de Comminge "He was laughing in the tower". I read somewhere on the web that there is one edition by "rice". I would not mind looking at a copy of the manuscripts either. could you help ?  

Offline Rez

• PS Silver Member
Re: Kaikhosru Sorabji piano score
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 08:40:08 PM
The Sorabji Archive sells his scores.  The lists of scores, including "He was laughing in the tower" can be found at:

https://www.music.mcgill.ca/~jwapnick/sorabji/sor_scre.html#pno

This one is a "new edition" edited by someone at the Archive named Chris Rice.  Some of the other scores are photocopies of work in KSS own handwriting, so an edited one is probably better.  KSS supposedly was rather sloppy about the way he wrote down scores and the originals have some mistakes.  How the editors decide what's right is beyond me.

Just as an aside, here's a page about "errors" in the Opus Clavicembalisticum.  An interesting read:

https://www.foxall.com.au/users/mje/OpusClav.htm

I guess you'd have to ask them if you could get a preview.
The artist does nothing that others deem beautiful, but rather only what to him is a necessity.
~Schoenberg, Theory of Harmony

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert