Piano Forum

The World of Piano Competitions – issue 1 2024
The World of Piano Competitions is a magazine initiated by PIANIST Magazine (Netherlands and Germany) and its Editor-in-Chief Eric Schoones. Here we get a rich insight into the world of international piano competitions through the eyes of its producers and participants. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin  (Read 6162 times)

Offline sjeon

• PS Silver Member
Chopin
on: December 30, 2010, 07:02:07 AM
My teacher gave me three pieces to play. I have to pick one of them to play.
The three are:
Chopin's Polonaise op.40 no.1
Chopin- Fantasie Impromptu
Chopin - Waltz op.18

Which one should I play?
What do you think about these pieces?

Offline emilye

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:45:36 PM
we don't know how you play. I really like polonaise, it is so beautifull and interesting piece.
Now playing:
Prokofiev - Sonate in d-minor op. 14
Bach/Busoni - Chaccone in d-minor
Bach - II Partita in c-minor
F. Chopin - Barcarole in F sharp major, Op. 60
                Ballade in f-minor

Offline ivorybabe247

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:01:13 PM
My teacher gave me three pieces to play. I have to pick one of them to play.
The three are:
Chopin's Polonaise op.40 no.1
Chopin- Fantasie Impromptu
Chopin - Waltz op.18

Which one should I play?
What do you think about these pieces?

Great options! I have personally played the Waltz and the polonaise, so i should tell you they are both very showy peices, depending on how long you have been playing the Waltz is easier than the Polonaise but they are great for recitals, they should take you at least 8 months to master though so keep that in mind. unfortunately i cannot be much help in the Fantasia Impromptu topic, but i have heard around this site many people have playes it. As with all Chopin peices you should definitely make the phrasing stand out and watch the grace notes on the Waltxz, don't slur them together. good luck!

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:46:24 PM
all three are great options.
i personally like the waltz quite a lot. all three are not very technical so you do not need to worry about the technical aspects quite so much.
it all depends on your a) personal interest  b)purpose for practicing those pieces  c) technique.
if you are the fierce type then try the polonaise. it is my favorite along with op 53.   
just to warn you there is more to the waltz than you think.
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline onwan

• PS Silver Member
Chopin
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 07:18:40 PM
I'm playing polonaises now and it's a beautiful piece. I think it's not a complicated piece than Fantaisie Impromptu.
Bach-Prelude and Fugue 2
Mozart-Sonata 545
Schubert-Klavierstucke D946 - 1, 2
Chopin-Etude 10/9, 25/12
Liszt-Un Sospiro
Rachmaninoff-Prelude 23/5, 3/2

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:19:01 PM
You're probably going to spend quite a bit of time with the one you pick, so choose the one you like best.

They are all great pieces, great to play (and each with a few challenges). That said, not my favourite waltz, not my favourite impromptu and certainly not my favourite polonaise.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline stoudemirestat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:49:34 PM
Up to you, your tastes, strength, weaknesses, standard, etc. I would pick the fantasie impromptu. I don't care how overplayed it is I really like it as a piece (even if the middle section goes on forever). The other two are dances, which while charming and entertaining, go less with my tastes than something like the fantasie impromptu. But that's only me. You should pick for yourself.

Offline werq34ac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22:14 PM
I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE POLONAISE OMFG! So one kid at a recital played EVERY FREAKING DAMNED REPEAT and so a piece that could have and SHOULD have been only 4 minutes was like 10 minutes. WHO THE HELL PLAYS EVERY REPEAT? Anyway, if you ABSOLUTELY INSIST on playing this piece, dear god please skip the repeats..

As for the waltz, I'm not a big fan of the piece. Not exactly Chopin's greatest work, but not exactly his worst. If you feel like you can endure learning 5 minutes of nothing but happy, then sure go for it. It's the kind of piece that some people call "too happy."

And the Fantasie-Impromptu, while probably being the most overplayed piece on your list, it's also the most difficult. If you have never played a polyrhythm before, I don't recommend this as your first piece. And if that Right hand scares the living bejeezus out of you, I don't recommend you play it. Otherwise, go for it if you like the piece.
Ravel Jeux D'eau
Brahms 118/2
Liszt Concerto 1
Rachmaninoff/Kreisler Liebesleid

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:01 AM
WHO THE HELL PLAYS EVERY REPEAT?

People who actually like it?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline werq34ac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:42:41 PM
People who actually like it?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE IT?????
Ravel Jeux D'eau
Brahms 118/2
Liszt Concerto 1

Offline drkilroy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 09:03:38 PM
Why do you hate it so much? Something particular about this polonaise or just overall? :) I know you also love the etude op. 25 no. 9. ;D

Best regards, Dr
HASTINGS: Why don't you get yourself some turned down collars, Poirot? They're much more the thing, you know.
[...]
POIROT: The turned down collar is the first sign of decay of the grey cells!

Offline werq34ac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 02:03:35 AM
Why do you hate it so much? Something particular about this polonaise or just overall? :) I know you also love the etude op. 25 no. 9. ;D

Best regards, Dr

After the time that kid took EVERY DAMN REPEAT, I can't stand this piece. It might just be the trauma (for lack of better word). I suppose it's not an awful piece, but I can't bear to listen to another performance of it.

As for the etude.. thank god it's short... it has that over-happiness that people hate about Mozart without it being Mozart. Harmonically and melodically, I don't find the piece interesting at all.
Ravel Jeux D'eau
Brahms 118/2
Liszt Concerto 1

Offline gn622

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 11:17:25 AM
I hate that polonaise too, its feel too mechanical and the melody is annoying  :-\

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 11:36:04 AM
The polonaise is less difficult than the other two you listed. But if you have played Schubert's Millitary March before then why not try the waltz?  Fantansie impromptu is more difficult.  Alternatively you can take a look at the first impromptu.

Offline drkilroy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:51 PM
I hate that polonaise too, its feel too mechanical and the melody is annoying  :-\

You know, polonaise is a kind of dance, so the pulse must be kept. :) Melody is based on some Polish folk music I think.

I actually like this polonaise as my granny used to listen to it when I was visiting her as a little kid. :)

Best regards, Dr
HASTINGS: Why don't you get yourself some turned down collars, Poirot? They're much more the thing, you know.
[...]
POIROT: The turned down collar is the first sign of decay of the grey cells!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert