Piano Forum

Topic: Czerny V. Hanon??  (Read 31244 times)

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Re: Czerny V. Hanon??
Reply #100 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:03 AM
you forgot picking your nose!

plus one, squeeze your pimples too ;D

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: May 10, 2012, 12:33:36 PM
:D  If only Hanon had written like that! Is that by Cziffra?  Pretty cool - I'd play it.

when it comes to a simple 'five finger pattern'  ala "Czerny" taken extremes i am always reminded of the debussy etude no 1, i absolutely love this thing, i need to quit making excuses and work the blasted thing up already

about them: (from a description of the Polonius edition)
Composed in 1915, Debussy's Etudes are widely considered some of the composer's masterpieces. Even though they are sensitive and expressive pieces of music, they are excellent practice pieces. But that does not mean they are easy to play; Debussy described them as "a warning to pianists not to take up the musical profession unless they have remarkable hands."

EDIT-if anyone is interested in 'following along' w her I have uploaded the score (reading view but you can download if you sign in as a user, accounts are free) of this (and the complete rest of the set books i and ii) to my scribd account, background info and musicoloyg w commentary on each one is also available in the 'information' box
https://www.scribd.com/two1367565/d/93104259-Debussy-Claude-1862-1918-12-Etudes

Offline lousyplayer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: May 10, 2012, 06:03:03 PM
ok, let me reply to this again. I've been practicing both and got to the conclusion that one does not invalidate the other. You have to think what you need and do exercises apropriately. For speed, both are excellent, Hanon is very repetitive. But Hanon has stuff that Czerny doesn't have like certain arpeggios types and finger exercises.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: May 11, 2012, 02:12:31 AM
But Hanon has stuff that Czerny doesn't have like certain arpeggios types and finger exercises.

I don't mean to dispute if you have, but have you actually played or atleast read through ALL czerny before suggesting that.

Offline lousyplayer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: May 11, 2012, 08:51:27 AM
Well, that is more of a rotation exercise.

Thal

depends on length of your nose, could be good extension exercise!

Offline figensco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: February 14, 2013, 08:26:54 AM
Oh no, please dear God, not again.

Thal

It is a known fact  that Liszt had studied thoroughly the most important methods that had been written up to that time. Clementi, Cramer, Herz, Moscheles and of course those of his teacher. Czerny, were well known to him. So were the pianistic devices of the famous performers of the period: Weber,, Hummel, Thalberg, Kalkbrenner, Chopin, etc. But he aimed at going further. In a certain letter to a friend he says; "I practice exercises daily for four or five hours, thirds, sixths, octaves, tremolos, repeated notes, cadences, etc". It is interesting that he uses the word "exercises" But not many books of exercises had benn written, and the few that existed were not in the virtuoso level. So the implication is that he developed his own.

This text appears in the preface of "Liszt -- Technical Exercises" (Complete) and is a quote from an article by Harold C. Schonberg that appeared in the N.Y. Times on Jan. 31, 1971.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: February 14, 2013, 08:32:45 AM
All very interesting and no doubt well known to many of us, but was it worth reactivating this thread which needs to die??

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline figensco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: February 14, 2013, 08:34:42 AM
Just spent a year doing Hanon for an hour or so each day, having had no previous experience of Hanon or Czerny. Definitely it helped my dexterity/finger strength, however in the end I just got bored with it.

In retrospect, I think a better approach and one which I am now following is to learn pieces such as the Scarlatti sonatas (or Bach preludes/fugues, etc.). Then make a "Hanon style" exercise out of the tough bars from Scarlatti (e.g. often the right hand plays a phrase which is then repeated by the left hand - put the two phrases together for an exercise in which both hands are playing the same notes).

Then I think you get the same benefits of a Hanon exercise but driven by a piece you actually want to play so it's not so mind-numbingly dull. Also the Hanon exercises rarely use the black notes unless you transpose them.

Aha! I think the same!

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: February 14, 2013, 08:37:25 AM
-
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline figensco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: February 14, 2013, 09:45:30 AM
All very interesting and no doubt well known to many of us, but was it worth reactivating this thread which needs to die??

Thal
if it works do not mess it!

Offline figensco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:58 AM
From my point of view, all modern piano technique is exposed within Liszt's works
grab any piece and you will finds escales, thirds, sixths, thrills, chromatics, tremolos , octaves, chords jumps, etc etc etc..... Just divide the score in many sections and voila! there you have a exercise book.

Offline wnlqxod

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: February 16, 2013, 12:26:58 AM
I've been instructed using both books, and I will say this:
Hanon is like a drill, whereas Czerny is like a mockup/simulation of the "real deal": close but not quite.

Hanon can be very good for "introducing" a technical concept and laying the foundations;
however, it is very easy to reach the "repetitive and boring" threshold. Unless you are playing your first baby notes on the piano, I would ditch Hanon and supplement Czerny with J.S. Bach's Invention and Sinfonias, Scarlatti's Sonatas, and Clementi's Sonatinas.

In particular, learn ALL 30 Inventions and Sinfonias by JSB. They are THAT GOOD.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: February 16, 2013, 03:26:26 AM
Czerny etudes
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert