Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 Question  (Read 2790 times)

Offline edo_binoo

• PS Silver Member
Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 Question
on: January 11, 2011, 10:58:32 PM
hi i have a question about this piece
how do you play the 6ths in the friska and how do you get fast and light in the begging 4 pages of friska thanks

Offline jjs238

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 (Practicing the discordant sounds?)
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:11:19 AM
Hello All,

I'm jumping around this piece now learning the parts at different times. I've mastered page 1 only so far. I can play about 5 scattered pages of it very, very slowly with my right hand. I'm having a bit of trouble though regarding the discordant sound I think you would call it.

I find it hard to practice and not know if I'm really playing it right as you know this has some unique double sharps all over the place and sometimes it just sounds odd. I know that it's supposed to be sounding like a gypsy band with bad instruments, but how do you all cope with it?

Did you find it hard once you started to learn the parts that sound like you are playing wrong from the audience or listener perspective? Does anyone ask you if you played the wrong notes after?

I'm just curious, that's the only hard part to this song is all the disjunction from what you think you should be hearing, even if you know how it should sound. Does that make much sense?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 (Practicing the discordant sounds?)
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 03:05:23 PM

I'm just curious, that's the only hard part to this song is all the disjunction from what you think you should be hearing, even if you know how it should sound. Does that make much sense?
hmm i think you just might be hearing some non-western tonality elements (we see this much more later in in 'true-er' hungarian music with bartok) remember this music sound(ed) exotic partly becuase it's system of tonal organization didn't quite fit the western 12 tone model, think notes between half steps, 'clashing intervals', 'out of tune' etc.  

you might be hearning some of these 'funky' harmonies if you're practicing very under tempo (which i imagine anyone taking on this monster would at first). play with musicality what's on the page and i'd venture to say as you get it up to speed it'll start to come together more sonically than what you're hearing now.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert