Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Violins  (Read 3103 times)

Offline in_love_with_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Violins
on: August 01, 2004, 10:48:08 PM
I heard that a pianist should never play the violin, as it will ruin your piano technique....I've always wanted to try the violin, but certainly would not want to give up piano for anything. Is this true, or can a person do both well?
wOOt! I have a website now! It's spiffy!

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Re: Violins
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 12:39:23 AM
That's doubtful, unless you just seriously drop the piano and start violin.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 01:25:13 AM
I dont see how it would ruin your technique for the piano.  Maybe you will develop muscles you dont use for the piano, and maybe some callouses, but I dont see how it could negatively affect your ability to play piano.

What are you afraid of?
donjuan

Offline monk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:52:04 AM
Superstition.

There are many superstitions among musicians. Another one is that you should not play jazz if you want to be a professional performer in classical music. Even today there are professors who don't allow their students to play jazz because it "ruins their technique / their sound"!

If you play diligently, if your body and your movements are free, if you really listen and strive for good tone and musical playing, then you can play anything, it won't be harmful for other things - on the contrary, it will be good because you are increasing your musical possiblilities and your way of hearing!

The only problem could be that the violin practice time will probably diminish piano practice time.

Best Wishes,
Monk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 07:09:42 PM
Thanks all of you, very much! Finally I'm not so afraid to try a lifelong dream of mine.

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 07:21:36 PM
For the little time I played violin, I was always afraid I'd cut open my pinky on the E string. It's so thin, I swear it could cut through bone if it wasn't attached to a musical instrument...  :P

But yes, there's no harm in playing many instruments. Percussionists deal with that all the time - the skills required for timpani and xylaphone are completely different, yet you have the same person playing both.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 08:10:51 PM
Course you could damage your ear from the sounds you produce.

Maybe by earplugs. Only thing worse then someone learning the violin is nails on a chalkboard.

;D
Ron Lefebvre

Ron Lefebvre © Copyright. Any reproduction of all or part of this post is sheer stupidity.

Offline squinchy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 08:21:16 PM
For the little time I played violin, I was always afraid I'd cut open my pinky on the E string. It's so thin, I swear it could cut through bone if it wasn't attached to a musical instrument...  :P

My friend sliced her finger on her E string! This is why we should all play viola. ;D

But eventually, playing an instrument that requires your ear to figure out the absolute location of where to place your finger will improve your pitch-hearing capabilities.

Support bacteria. They're the only type of culture some people have.

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 11:40:26 AM
I played violin and piano for a long time and in fact did my grade seven exams on two consecutive days. But I dropped violin because I couldn't be bothered with it anymore. All that holding it up whilst practicing....... so tiring.......

Anyway, I think violin helps rather than hinders. It gives you the opportunity to create a melodic line in a different way to piano, plus you'll appreciate how amazing accompanists really are......

Offline willcowskitz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 03:16:58 AM
I have a Chinese violin, took a couple lessons. Producing decent sound wasn't nearly as difficult as I had always been told, it was just a matter of adapting and adjusting yourself, as always - It is easier the better you know your physics. I haven't taken lessons recently because I couldn't stand the CURSED CHILDREN'S LULLABYS that are supposed to teach you the fingerings etc... I want real music to help me learn the instrument (as with piano), but my teacher didn't quite get the hint when I was trying to suggest I'd play some *music* for instance. I didn't practice between lessons (once a week) but I was always "doing excellent" with the teacher, it was a matter of adjusting my whole hand to act as part of the sensitive instrument - I suggest you try out a violin before getting one for yourself if you haven't already, as it can be different than you thought (as Clare mentioned, the burden of holding it up, and the possible difficulties in getting your arms in correct positions). Other than that, go for the dream of yours!  ;)

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 07:16:00 PM
The only thing that can be actually bad would be things like positions. Skips in violin are usually when in piano would be insane. I was reading this book all about the orchestra, and after that I was going back to my piano, I had to shake my head and remember I was playing the piano, not the violin. It gets a little confusing at first, but it's not impossible, very doable.

Shagdac

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 04:10:31 AM
Last weekend I went into a new music shop in the area, looking for a specific piece. Found out they cater mostly to string instruments, only slightly to piano. I had a rather lengthly conversation with the owner, who told me he had SO many customers within a 2 week period of time who inquired about "piano AND violin" lessons. He felt he had lost about 7-8 prospective students as they only taught violin. He hired a good friend who teaches piano, and has picked up business somewhat. He stated that many piano/violin students also want instruction in the other, hence he now teaches both.

One thing lead to another, and before I knew it, I had a violin in my hands and he was showing me the proper position. Before I left that day, he had taught me the C major scale and and little tune. It was fun, and it was much easier than I thought. Although, he told me if you already played the piano, it would be easier. But I thought pulling the Bow back would be really squeaky, but if you lighten the pressure on the strings it was great. I had so much fun. Am now thinking of doing that as well. I took Guitar for about year and developed calouses which I hated...the piano felt different. He assured me that the violin which I started on would only have 4 strings, and would not be the same. I had no difficulty holding the strings when he showed me. I think it would be an excellent instrument to take up along with playing the piano.....and am seriously considering it!!!!

S :)

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 03:31:30 PM
oh that's really cool shagdac! i'm gonna get my friend to teach me to play the violin in the chrissy hols.

also about violins and pianos, my old music teacher at school played both piano and violin very well and i can't say the violin pulled down her piano technique cos she was bril at the piano!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 09:05:33 PM
thanks all of you, you have been very insightfull, I guess the person who told me that violin and piano don't mix was not too informed herself. My teacher once told me that the only thing harder than virtuoso piano was virtuoso violin, so I'm up for the challenge...

Offline belvoce

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 02:22:13 AM
Do you think that guitar playing would affect piano playing?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 02:55:03 AM
OK, now this time my teacher was the one to tell me a while back never to take up guitar if I wanted to stay serious with piano. This is mainly because of the calluses you develop from guitar playing. Never did like the guitar anyways though.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 03:17:24 AM
OK, now this time my teacher was the one to tell me a while back never to take up guitar if I wanted to stay serious with piano. This is mainly because of the calluses you develop from guitar playing. Never did like the guitar anyways though.

I think that's an urban legend. Calluses are less obstructing than band aids taped over the fingertips, and there are quite a few pianists who do that (Brendel is probably the best known), and it doesn't take away anything.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 11:07:12 AM
Where do so many of you hear that doing so and so will adversely affect your playing?

Well, irregardless, this is something that I made up on my own:
Eating apples will make your skin soft at the fingertips, thereby making them more tacky.  But, the side effect of eating apples is that it causes excessive sweating at the tips so you don't want to eat any king of apples.  And sweaty people smell horrible, anyway.

:)

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 06:24:57 PM
I've always found that eating apples makes me practice much better. Hum.  ???
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline scrabble

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: August 09, 2004, 11:34:23 PM
I play both violin and piano right now, and I don't think there are negative impacts for either instrument. It's actually interesting to understand how different instruments work, and the difficulties of each.

Actually, the only downside of violin is that callous thingy on your neck.  

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: August 10, 2004, 10:59:05 AM
I've always found that eating apples makes me practice much better. Hum.  ???

now THAT'S interesting!! i wonder why that is. maybe i should start eating apples before my lessons, see if i screw up less. it's because they're yummy AND they're god for you- to me a pink lady apple is like a ray of sunshine they're so good!!yay to apples!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline newsgroupeuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 06:04:23 PM

My friend sliced her finger on her E string! This is why we should all play viola. ;D

What she needs is a lower bridge lol.

The problem is violas never get the exciting bits

Offline scrabble

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 12, 2004, 12:02:23 AM

What she needs is a lower bridge lol.

The problem is violas never get the exciting bits

How do you slice your finger on the E-string? I have never done that in six years of playing.

True, violas don't get the exciting bits very often. Second violins don't get an awful lot, especially in classical pieces. But, if you are struggling on violin, sometimes you find that when you switch to viola, your standing improves. I don't want to offend viola players, but the instrument is not as popular.

Offline super_ardua

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: August 12, 2004, 09:33:55 PM

I don't want to offend viola players, but the instrument is not as popular.

Not as popular?  They have a whole new genre of jokes devoted to them and their players!!

(No offense to any violists here)
We must do,  we shall do!!!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: August 13, 2004, 02:44:45 AM
Beethoven was a proficient violist and he even wrote a string quartet giving the violist a very extensive part.  And I can't remember which one that is.

Offline Rach3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: August 15, 2004, 12:35:10 PM
I know several people who are both accomplished violinists and pianists, their piano technique seems solid. So it's possible - but I guess it would be twice as much work?

Maybe by earplugs. Only thing worse then someone learning the violin is nails on a chalkboard.

I'm sure this could be true - you could also lose your sense of pitch and become tone-deaf.

For the little time I played violin, I was always afraid I'd cut open my pinky on the E string. It's so thin, I swear it could cut through bone if it wasn't attached to a musical instrument...  

My friend sliced her finger on her E string! This is why we should all play viola.

No, this is why we should all play cello.
"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them."
--Richard Wagner

Offline scrabble

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004, 10:42:52 PM
I know several people who are both accomplished violinists and pianists, their piano technique seems solid. So it's possible - but I guess it would be twice as much work?

Yeah, this is very true. During the school year, I can hardly find the time to practice both instruments between school, math team, work, orchestra rehearsals, and the occasional sleep. Eventually you have to pick one or the other.  :-/

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 07:15:52 PM
Do you think that guitar playing would affect piano playing?

I play the Guitar al well, and I notice my right wrist sort of hurts when I play Piano after playing the Guitar, but it is probably just a problem with my technique.  I thought it would be caused by keeping the wrist in a locked position, but I really dont know.  

You will develop callouses on the left fingers that will for sure, change your touch on the piano, but you can get used to it and maybe even use it to your advantage.

donjuan
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert