Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Anyone know about heart rate monitors and exercise?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Anyone know about heart rate monitors and exercise?
on: January 16, 2011, 05:16:02 AM
What's the point of being so precise about measuring your heart rate?  As opposed to just exercising?  If you're huffying and puffing and sweating I'm thinking that good.  And probably the same "target zone" that a heart rate monitor would measure.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone know about heart rate monitors and exercise?
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:30:01 AM
Measuring your resting heart rate, which is your heart rate right after you wake up, is a good indicator of general cardiovascular health.  When doing cardiovascular exercise, you want to aim for a rate in the "target" range, which lowers as you age.  Exercising with a heart rate above the target range may be harmful, as it can over-exert the heart.  You should try to do at least 20 minutes of cardio exercise per day; this is the American Heart Association's minimum recommended amount of cardiovascular exercise to maintain good cardiovascular health.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:56:17 PM
What's the point of being so precise about measuring your heart rate?  As opposed to just exercising?  If you're huffying and puffing and sweating I'm thinking that good.  And probably the same "target zone" that a heart rate monitor would measure.

I use one when I am cycling Bob. It is amazing that sometimes I am working harder than I think and other times the reverse is the case.

A very useful tool that helps me keep tabs on my condition.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:37:47 PM
I used one in the past and got it working again now. 

I'm remembering the problem was getting up into even a moderate zone.  I would ride an exercise bike or use a treadmill (jogging at most though) and could barely get into the moderate zone.  I'm looking around online and see some differences in those charts.  Hmmm.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:20:05 AM
How do you exercise the heart muscle without wearing the rest of the body out?  It seems like my heart muscle can adjust faster than the body and ends up not working as harder as it's supposed to -- target heart rate -- but the rest of my body is starting to wear out.   How can I get just the heart to work harder?

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 05:10:48 AM
Better get some good advice. After 30 minutes of cardio you should be at a safe target rate. I've been on cycles and tread mills that will hook you up after you input some stats. The system will adjust the resistance to keep you in the most beneficial range.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:42 AM
In my, admittedly limited, experience of gym equipment it's ever so hard to motivate oneself to put real effort into it. By contrast, if I set off up the hill on my bike on my way to work at the local school, as I did every day last week, there's a real 300-foot rise in front of me with a target I have to reach and as a result I put my back into it properly. My pulse is usually well over 150 at the top - I think I got about 178 or something a few months ago, which isn't too bad for a middle-aged fart. Get out into the fresh air, Bob - you won't regret it!
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:17:03 PM
I did not know there was any fresh air in London :o
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:39 PM
In my, admittedly limited, experience of gym equipment it's ever so hard to motivate oneself to put real effort into it. By contrast, if I set off up the hill on my bike on my way to work at the local school, as I did every day last week, there's a real 300-foot rise in front of me with a target I have to reach and as a result I put my back into it properly. My pulse is usually well over 150 at the top - I think I got about 178 or something a few months ago, which isn't too bad for a middle-aged fart. Get out into the fresh air, Bob - you won't regret it!

178-150! Now that is impressive. I would be remiss if I didn't comment.

Please be careful. At 178 you're getting close to the red zone. I doubt there are any defibrillators or the people to use them on you along your route.

There is nothing better than a brisk 30 minute walk outside along a scenic route, in silence. And yes Thal, when I was last there, I enjoyed the fresh air in London.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:47 PM
At 178 you're getting close to the red zone

I'm trying to live my entire life in the red zone, mate!

I did not know there was any fresh air in London

It's all relative. Fresher than in North Kent, anyway :P
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 11:32:16 PM
I'm trying to live my entire life in the red zone, mate!

We need more like you!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert