Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: J.S. Bach - Partita in B flat (Prelude, Sarabande, Gigue)  (Read 6052 times)

Offline beccaboo128

• PS Silver Member
Hey everyone!
I am currently scrambling to prepare for my ARCT exam which is in less than two weeks!
Anyways, I've always been told that Bach isn't my cup of tea, so I thought it'd be a good idea to post an mp3 of myself playing in order to get some pointers from more advanced players.  Some major points of concern, in my opinion, are my crappy use of pedal and somewhat harsh tone.  Any critism is welcome, but please remember I'm only 16 (haha and to be honest, quite sensitive)!  Sorry about the Gigue, everyone. I didn't have time to record it again - my ipod was running out of battery.

Thanks so much!

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Re: J.S. Bach - Partita in B flat (Prelude, Sarabande, Gigue)
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:45:27 AM
Hi Becca. :)

I'm 16 too, so I dont think I have the most expert opinion, but I think I could give you some advice.

Your playing is nice, but it seemed like it stayed the same tone throughout the whole prelude and sarabande part. I didnt really hear much dynamics in the piece. I agree with what you said about the tone being harsh...  Are you playing on the tips of your fingers? Also try and relax on your trills and such things, because some are a little forced-sounding.

That's all I can think of right now, but it sounds nice. Keep up the good work. :)

(Btw, what is the ARCT?)
Currently:
Chopin Grand Valse Brilliante
Mozart Piano Sonata K 332
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 no.5,6,7
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G minor

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:09:45 AM
If you want a little inspiration, and to hear ideas from another player... Here's my performance from a couple of months back. Got to play it on a 7 ft Fazioli... Oh it was sweet   :D

First three movements

Last three movements

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:39:26 PM
You play a very musical and melodic bach.  I liked it very much.  I would stress the legato more in the prelude.  You play it almost detached.  And think in longer phrases.  Like the opening.  4 measures, one phrase.  Think about it.
Be careful of the tempo in the Sarabande.  Go through it a few times with a metronome and don't rush those 32nd notes.  You follow the line wonderfully - but you're playing too much around with the tempo.  Those two bars that come up where you have the mordent at the beginning and then  two measures of a held e-flat, I think it is.  Why don't you trill the whole two measures? very lightly so you can hear the walking bass line.
the gigue needs work as you know.  There was one point where the tempo got out of control and you sounded hysterical!  Practise it slow with minimum movement.  the crossing over is not difficult when you've got the distances down pat.  I have a feeling you're trying to reach the note quickly before actually pressing down the key. 
good work, though! 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert