Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Practising on electric piano  (Read 1943 times)

Offline thelonious_monk

• PS Silver Member
Practising on electric piano
on: January 21, 2011, 11:17:00 PM
Hi everyone!

I've registered at this web just a few minutes ago, so I hope I'm posting this in the right section :-O

Well, I am a piano student, first seven years of my education I spent at one private teacher. The fail was that she couldn't (and still can't) really play the piano - she has the approbation for accordion and electronic keyboards... She never told me anything about the right piano touch and things like that. Yes, it was my problem that I lasted so long at her, but I didn't know there was anything wrong.

However, two years ago I changed the teacher. The new one gave me a lot, she introduced me to the real piano world - showed the beauty of classical piano music, taught me new technical skills...

That's my story, and now about my problem - I never had the grand piano and not even the upright at home. I have Korg SP-250, electric piano with hammer mechanic. It is really a good thing for me as I am rather jazz pianist than the classical one... But it's very difficult for me to play at the lesson on the grand - firstly, my hands (or fingers) are too weak. Although after reading some studies about physiology of piano playing I think it's rather because of my bad technique. And secondly, my fingertips are not firm enough - my tone at acoustic piano is ugly and not concrete. (You know, Korg sounds always great ;) )
I don't have the opportunity of regular, everyday practice with the possibility of such aural control. Sometimes I don't see any solvent and feel really upset by that... Is there anyone who could help me in my transforming to a classical pianist? :)

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practising on electric piano
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:01:58 PM
Hi, Thelonius. Welcome to the forum!  :)

I don't think some words written in a forum are going to do any magic because they will never can substitute a real active class. But at least I hope that some humble advices could give you a little starting point.

Grand pianos action have become progressively heavier and heavier through the years. For example, the weight of the keys of Chopin's pianos is so much lighter than pianos of today. Aside this, action's weight can be regulated by a technician. Also, different makes, different models and even different instruments of the same make and model have also different weights.

To play the modern grand (which basis were stablished around 1890, approximately) the technique has evolved, requiring more and more muscular power but also this combined with a good use of the natural weight of the arms and even the rest of the body (including the shoulders, etc.) to prevent exhaustion and, theoretically, help the production of a nice tone. Of course, there's even today an active debate about the amount of physical muscular finger or arm use and the equilibrium of this with the use of the weight.

I also think that Korg Sp-250 is maybe too light. I think you need a better digital piano or, I think that this is a better advice, a real piano. If you can't afford a grand, upright's mechanics are very different to grands but it can be done a good work with them.

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practising on electric piano
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:35:24 PM
You need to replace that Korg with something that has better weighted or semi-weighted action. There's some digital pianos out there that are better. If you're as serious as you sound, you really need to  do some shopping around. Everybody's taste varies. If you want to stay electric, I highly suggest trying a Yamaha CP5 or P95. Either one would amaze you. I prefer the CP5 myself...

Musically, Jimbo
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert