Piano Forum

A Free Grand Piano? – Scammers Target Piano Enthusiasts
If you’re in the market for a piano, be cautious of a new scam that’s targeting music lovers, businesses, schools, and churches. Scammers are offering “free” pianos but with hidden fees that can add up to hundreds of dollars and, as you may have guessed, the piano will never be delivered. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin etudes and walses  (Read 7712 times)

Offline slow_concert_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Chopin etudes and walses
on: January 28, 2011, 01:04:21 PM
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Rachmaninov prelude in Bb Op 23 No 2
Mozart A minor sonata K310
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
Busoni tr Bach toccata in D minor

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin etudes and walses
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:15:19 AM
You know what - for once, I'm going to take an unbiased and professional response to the Etude (instead of me being the usual witty, harshly critical wanker that I have been so far in terms of some of your works) which I have played (a long while ago, but to this day remains one of my favourites). It will be interesting to see what type of response I get...

Why do you upload files that seem to have an ever changing tempo from phrase to phrase. Just once I would like to hear you upload a file that doesn't go from 80bpm to 3bpm and then back to halfway inbetween. Get a metronome and try to record it at a steady speed. If it's half the intended speed, that's fine - no one will care. They will at least get a sense of fluency to the recording.

You need incredible care with your pedalling - you are mixing a lot of the harmonies in the middle section which makes the piece sound horrible at times.

Try taking a lighter approach to the beginning of the piece and keep the fingers more spritely instead of thinking heaviness.

I hope that helps you think about how to get the piece of music to a higher level of perfection. I used to be the type of sod who thought "I got through it, that's all that matters", but I'm so glad my current piano teacher has taught me that there's a better way of playing.

EDIT: Also, this etude isn't nicknamed the 'Butterfly' etude... This is the 'Black Key' etude because the right hand consists entirely of black notes (if I'm not mistaken). Although saying that, apparently Chopin hated the nicknames given to his etudes.

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:55:40 AM
If Perfect_Pitch is going to be the good cop, I guess I'll be the bad cop.

You're simply not ready for any of the pieces you've been posting.  Get a teacher and start more or less from the beginning.  Your ears are bigger than your technique.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:42:33 AM
Believe me - I've been the bad cop for years (and I've said much worse than you could ever say) and it scp never seemed to give a rats arse... so I thought I would change my tactics...

Offline abcdef123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:12:50 AM
Why don't you get a teacher? Your touch, pedaling, tempo are totally off.

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 04:20:14 PM
 Ok  - stop kidding . This is some kind of joke that I dont get right.  Cant you let me in on the joke.  THanks.

Cheers, Becky.

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 04:59:18 PM
Not to be rude at all,  but if you're posting this really expecting to get any type of good reviews, you're not ready for this type of music.

By looking at the posts above, I'm guessing that you post music like this a lot. But if you're really serious about piano, try some easier pieces,  or get a teacher like everyone else said.

Currently:
Chopin Grand Valse Brilliante
Mozart Piano Sonata K 332
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 no.5,6,7
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G minor

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 05:06:06 PM
s_c_p has a teacher—some professor at the Wollongong Conservatory in Australia—and s_c_p has claimed that this professor thinks s_c_p is a wonderful pianist.

My best guess is either (1) the professor is as insane as s_c_p, or (2) the professor is afraid of the consequences of telling an unhinged individual the truth.
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 05:21:02 PM
s_c_p has a teacher—some professor at the Wollongong Conservatory in Australia—and s_c_p has claimed that this professor thinks s_c_p is a wonderful pianist.

My best guess is either (1) the professor is as insane as s_c_p, or (2) the professor is afraid of the consequences of telling an unhinged individual the truth.

Oh,  So.... Is there proof that this professor exists?? Just sayin.
Currently:

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 05:37:14 PM
Oh,  So.... Is there proof that this professor exists?? Just sayin.

Actually, there is.  I had to search for the thread in which he's identified:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=37168.msg424907#msg424907

Here's the professor's page at Wollongong's website:

https://www.wollcon.com.au/staff/piano-keyboard/67-slobodan-zivkovic

Of course, we don't have proof that s_c_p is actually a student there.

Offline john11inc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 10:49:40 PM
What the *** is this sh*t.

I suspect da SDC.
If this work is so threatening, it is not because it's simply strange, but competent, rigorously argued and carrying conviction.

-Jacques Derrida

https://www.youtube.com/user/john11inch

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 11:29:05 PM
What the *** is this sh*t.

I suspect da SDC.

zl*w  ;D

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 12:10:40 AM
Great post, great feeling, great technique... at least for somebody who is probably rather lonely and begs for attention....
1+1=11

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 08:34:20 AM
I suspect da SDC.

SDC??? Who the hell are they?

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 10:29:12 AM
Seriously! Why do you keep commenting his threads?!?
We obviously know he's an ass, or that he's just trying to be funny. This sh*t get 13 responses (now 14, I think) in a day.

Other posts, like prongated's last ones, or furiouzpianist, or anyone who actually ask for help, gets like 5 posts in a week, half of them are their own.

At the same time, many people here complains about Scp or assifassi-dude, while they, at the same time, post several responses. Just quit write to them, please!

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 12:13:20 PM
Other posts, like prongated's last ones, or furiouzpianist, or anyone who actually ask for help, gets like 5 posts in a week, half of them are their own.

Speaking of which, I loved the outpouring of help I got when I asked a question about Chopin's 24th prelude recently in the Performance Forum.  Apparently not a single one of the so very accomplished pianists here has actually played, or even tried to sightread, it?  I may as well have been asking about an unknown piece by an obscure composer.

The dynamic of this forum is downright peculiar, but I guess that's what makes it the place it is.  Meh.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 01:11:31 PM
Speaking of which, I loved the outpouring of help I got when I asked a question about Chopin's 24th prelude recently in the Performance Forum.  Apparently not a single one of the so very accomplished pianists here has actually played, or even tried to sightread, it?  I may as well have been asking about an unknown piece by an obscure composer.

The dynamic of this forum is downright peculiar, but I guess that's what makes it the place it is.  Meh.
I beg your pardon.  I think, if I remember correctly, I answered your post...
Actually, I get a kick out of anafrassi, or whatever his name is.

Offline riskarb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 02:11:10 PM
Chopin "butterfly" Op10/5
https://www.box.net/shared/cjbjy8cjri

Exquisite........ the poeticism of Arrau..... the clarity and perfection of Zimmerman..... there are no superlatives to use...... only comparisons to the titans of our age.

I was moved instantly to tears.  :'(  :'(  :'(

Bravo! Bravo!!!!!!

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:19 PM
Seriously! Why do you keep commenting his threads?!?
We obviously know he's an ass, or that he's just trying to be funny. This sh*t get 13 responses (now 14, I think) in a day.

At the same time, many people here complains about Scp or assifassi-dude, while they, at the same time, post several responses. Just quit write to them, please!

Oh I didn't know he was trying to make a joke,  I actually thought he was serious....
Currently:
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert