Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Erik Satie-Gymnopédie No.3  (Read 7933 times)

Offline cheezburger

• PS Silver Member
Erik Satie-Gymnopédie No.3
on: February 09, 2011, 12:00:41 AM
This is the first song I am learning, the sheet music I am using is found here.

The left hand is playing the notes in the bass cleff and also the triads, to bridge the (is that the term I am looking for?) the dotted minims will I need to use the sostenuto pedal?

Edit: The link to the score isn't working so I've attached a .gif.

Offline kevinr

• PS Silver Member
Re: Erik Satie-Gymnopédie No.3
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:11:53 AM
Ultimately your ear must be the judge.

However I would not personally be inclined to use the sostenuto pedal and (though I don't know for sure) I doubt Satie's piano would have had such a pedal or that he envisaged its use. I think it would be a bit fiddly and the resulting sound a bit too clinical and contrived,

I would tend just to use the sustaining pedal, changing at the start of each bar. The top part is high enough that it shouldn't get too blurred.

You could however experiment with half pedalling i.e. don't push the sustaining pedal right down.

So experiment with different combinations and always listen carefully to the sound you are producing.

Offline zolaxi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:51:32 AM
Gymnopédie No.3 is not a song!

Offline mcjanes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:14:39 AM
Gymnopedie is trickier than it sounds. As someone said above, it needs extensive half-pedaling, but that takes lots and lots of practice. Pedal technique is just as important to a pianist as bow technique is to a violinist.

Offline tbgore

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:29:00 PM
Does anyone know the translation to L'Omnibus Automobile ?

Offline sustain

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 12:17:24 AM
Does anyone know the translation to L'Omnibus Automobile ?

The automotive bus.

Offline etherealmusic

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:13:02 PM
I love this composition :)

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:55:04 AM
This is a piece that can sound VERY stale if someone just sits and plays notes, and holds the pedal.  For such a stripped down piece, the harmonic contrast have quite a few 'zingers' haha.  Some moments of "wait, did he really just use that chord?!".  I love these pieces for that reason. 

People will smack-talk them all day, saying they are boring, stupid, 'easy', pointless, not flashy, etc. etc.  But they just have this quality to them, such approachable pieces for me.  I can't listen to Liszt/Rach 24/7, I'll die from a heart attack.  In the sea of MASSIVE pieces that constantly come up on this forum, it's cool that this one pops up every once in a while.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert