Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: When is it OK for composers to borrow from the works of other composers?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline aintgotnorhythm

• PS Silver Member
When is it OK for composers to borrow from the works of other composers? e.g. Stravinsky's Circus Polka contains a warped version of Schubert's Marche Militaire, Shostakovich's 15th symphony contains the tune from Rossini's William Tell Overture. I'm sure there are very many examples of this sort of thing, these were just a couple that came to mind. There are probably even more examples of composers incorporating the melodies from traditional folk songs. To what extent does a new composition have to be original?

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
It's music. You can do whatever the hell you want.

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member

Are you being facetious again?
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member

Agreed.

Also, check this out:  ;)

Besides the obvious, I detect a bit of this:
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Are you being facetious again?

Again? How often am I facetious? I was being completely serious.

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Quote from: retrouvailles

I think that in general you are right.  :)

To what extent does a new composition have to be original?

At least in my country, there's a minimum number of bars to be identical to another music work in order to be considered plagiarism. I don't know exactly how many they are (and I also don't care a damn). In this cases I think that common sense must be the rule to be followed. Common sense is what will tell us if our work is a veiled homage, an explicit and conscious reference or just plain a sample of lack of creativeness. We cannot delude ourselves. ;)

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
anyone remembered that ruberstein accused tchaikovsky of borrowing other composer's works for his piano concerto no1? and that was one of tchaikovsky's most famous works to this day.
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
anyone remembered that ruberstein accused tchaikovsky of borrowing other composer's works for his piano concerto no1? and that was one of tchaikovsky's most famous works to this day.

Who or what the hell is "ruberstein"? (you named him in at least two different threads)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert