Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Advice for Pavane pour une Infante Defunte?  (Read 10542 times)

Offline krysjez

• PS Silver Member
Advice for Pavane pour une Infante Defunte?
on: February 11, 2011, 01:51:40 PM
Hi everyone,

My first post here, looking forward to being part of this community :)

I just started learning Ravel's Pavane pour une Infante Defunte today, some sight-reading through the first page. So far what I can tell is there are two layers of music for the right hand - an outer 'main' melody and the inner supporting staccato notes.

My problem now is with making the main melody sound clearer. Is there some kind of weight distribution thing to take note of when playing, so that the top notes ring out while the inner supporting melody stays subdued? Is it just a matter of training my pinky to be more independent of the other fingers?

Have stopped learning piano for 2 years (stopped at Gr. 8 ) and am now messing around on my own, so all help much appreciated :)

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice for Pavane pour une Infante Defunte?
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:03:58 PM
Hi Krysjez,
Welcome to the forum. It's hard to train any finger to do a duplet let alone the 5th finger. That's what your talking about here. Playing a note strong following by repeating it softer.
Just keep practicing. No shortcut that I know of...

Musically, Jimbo
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:07:01 PM
I think she's talking about playing a melody and an accompaniment with the same hand - here, the 4th and 5th, mainly, playing the melody, and the 2nd and 1st playing the accompaniment.  It takes a while to get the hang of it.  I learned this Pavane a few months ago.  You'll find that the pedal is what creates the legato - what holds the note while you lift your hand to perhaps play the next note of the melody with the same finger.  Play the staccato accompaniment with a sort of soft flapping motion of the thumb and 2nd finger  while using a sturdy firm 4th and 5th (and sometimes 3rd) finger for the melody.  LOVE this piece!  ;D

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:41:13 AM
I love this piece, too. I used to play it on the guitar and just learned the piano version a couple of years ago. A couple of things to try for bringing out the melody in the right hand 4,5 fingers (call it the soprano line) above the right hand acommpaniment in 1,2 fingers (call this the alto line). Try playing just thesoprano line, using the fingering you'll use once you put everything together. Then try playing the alto line- play this a lot so you figure out in your mind how it sounds as a line, rather than just as random notes you have to hit while you're thinking about the melody. Then put them together. When you play them together, don't think about different weights or pressures in different fingers, just pay attention to the two voices. Practice a lot focusing on listening to the alto line without paying that much attention to the melody - this is the hard bit since your brain wants to attend to the tune. Then switch to listening to the soprano line. If you switch back and forth, listening to the soprano or alto lines, I think you'll find that you start bringing out the line you are listening to, without thinking a lot about weight and pressure on individual fingers.

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:13:53 AM
birba, I agree, and I must add that this piece is far more difficult than it at first would appear.  I think that this should not be one's first foray into the works or ravel or debussy, as it is a deceptively challenging little work.

Offline krysjez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:41:41 AM
I've played a little bit of Debussy (Arabesque I was my first introduction to him four years ago, then The Little Shepherd and Arabesque II for my Grade 7 and 8 exams in '08 and '09. Currently trying Golliwog's Cakewalk) but this is my first Ravel piece. Deceptively challenging indeed! First page and I'm already getting simple problems like these...

I made an image to show the area I'm having trouble with -

brogers70: That makes sense. Come to think of it, my teacher said something similar a few years back when I was still learning, but that was more for bringing out the melody when it switched to the left hand.
birba: I have barely been lifting my hands so far, just playing in one continuous line. Shall practice using my mouse with the 4th/5th fingers to train them...

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:09:04 AM
pay attention to the "m. g." marks (main gauche: left hand), and use your left hand to play the bottom note of the right hand chords in those instances.  the chords are portato, not staccato.  you've done a nice job of highlighting the main melody in the score.  I agree with brogers' idea of practicing the voices separately--for me it's the only way to learn this type of piece.  I would also encourage you to focus on getting the themes you encounter on this first page down cold, as you will see them again throughout the piece in altered forms.

Offline krysjez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 02:45:16 PM
oh! I had no clue m.g. meant main gauche. Probably should have looked it up.

I'm not too strong with the technical terms :P as you can see from my portato-staccato mixup.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert