Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Rach prelude in c # minor - tension releasing?  (Read 4571 times)

Offline daru2707

• PS Silver Member
Rach prelude in c # minor - tension releasing?
on: February 12, 2011, 11:50:01 AM
Hello,

I'm currently playing this prelude and everything works fine except for the part just after those fast right hand triplets and just before the fat chords. I mean those fast alternating right hand-left hand smaller chords. When I play the prelude for the first time during a day, I can play that part almost with no trouble , fast and not too inaccurate ; ). BUT the more times I do it in a row, it's becoming a complete disaster. The tension in both hands is so strong that sometimes I can't play a single little chord accurately and it's unbelievably uneven. I don't play much though because of little free time, but I'm trying to get rid of that tension by playing it slowly and relaxing my hands in slow tempo, then speeding up a bit, and so on ( I read that advice here on the forum ). But it doesn't really always work.

Is it just a matter of time and practice as everything else, or do you have some other suggestions on how to release tension in hands in a specific fast-alternating part like that?

Offline seymourtom

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rach prelude in c # minor - tension releasing?
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:24 AM
Not sure this answers the question - but very interested in the comment.  I have found that when I practice a piece for the first time in a day it can go quite well, but subsequent practices paradoxically get worse.   The only consolation is that on the next day - if all goes well, I start at a higher level so practice does help.  But there's no doubt that having each run through getting progressively worse is not very motivating.

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:48:20 AM
Loose wrists.  It sounds to me like you're lifting your entire forearm and hand, keeping the wrist locked as you alternate between chords.  The wrist should be loose.

Offline daru2707

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:20:11 PM
Actually that's exactly what's happening , I only tried to loose the wrists in slow tempo, so I guess it really takes time to master it. I'll try  : )

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:41 PM
I had the same problem.  Just slowly increase speed, keeping that same relaxed feeling in the wrists, and eventually you'll be flying through it.

Offline daru2707

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 04:47:23 PM
Thanks for advice :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert