Piano Forum

Topic: Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro - (Étude No. 39 in D-flat major) - Lorenzo (Enzo)  (Read 6343 times)

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
When Enzo started to "tinker" with this beautiful piece by Liszt early last month, I could barely conceal how glad I was because I have always loved the composition. This is still work in progress but i can see and feel that it is taking shape and I like what I hear. For one who is not schooled in the piano I am quite happy with Enzo's progress.

But now is the best time to hear comments and suggestions while he is still learning the piece.
We would be most grateful.
Recorded earlier at the University of the Philippines' Abelardo Hall using a Canon Vixia HF 100 HD cam.

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Congratulations to him for learning a rather difficult piece! I had quite a lot of technical troubles with this piece myself also.

I am not sure if it just the audio quality, but one advice I would give is that the phrasing of the melody, albeit simple, could have been perhaps been brought out more.

During the places where there are chord changes, such as bars 9, 10, 19 and 20, the bass notes could have been played more broadly.

When the melody from the beginning turns into broken octaves, I think they could have been done more consistently.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Hi Emill: It was great finally hearing Lorenzo play on a good piano and have a nice recording.  He and I are almost the same age.  Ill be 13 in May . You can hear some of my recordings I posted here.  He must be such a quick study. To have this piece at this level so quick. I wish my poor brain worked that fast.  Anyway, I wont get into any of the technical stuff.  There are people here alot smarter than me for that Like Birba.  All I will say is something my parents and music teachers tell me over and over again.  Look for your musical voice, the part of the playing that is not the composer, or the piano, or the teacher. Its the performers voice. The part that makes you stand out from all the other pianists.

Oh one last thing.  You said Lorenzo wanted to go to Juliard, and that is cool, but you should also look at Curtis. That is the one my parents are really high on. 

Anyway hope Lorenzo keeps posting. Maybe instead of something in progress - a more finished work.

Cheers, Becky

Ps - my friend Alice and I both think he is cute. 

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Hi invictious ....
Thank you for your advice.  I will forward this to Enzo as soon as he comes back from school this afternoon.  I am sure as always, he will be glad to hear comments on the way he played a piece.
THANKS again.

"Ps - my friend Alice and I both think he is cute." . . . becky8898

Well.... thanks a lot!!!! ....  Enzo really looks like his dad!!  ;D hehahehahaa ;D !!!!!
(sent you a private message)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Becky isn't even 13?!?!?!?  Geesh....I give up!  What is this, the invasion of the extraterrestial prodigies?!?!?   ;D
Good work Enzo.  I'm amazed at how mature it already sounds.  Tomorrow I'll post a more complete comment.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Enzo is playing beautifully. I'll admit to never being good with watching videos; I tend to get off the page and just listen to the music,  but I made a point to watch, and here are a couple observations:

The broken octaves starting measure 13 have a specific fingering, 3-2 (or 2-2...I think if them actually as 3-2 together for each note, jumping in both the left and the right hand). This is not a suggestion by Liszt, it is what he specifically wanted for the passage, and this not only produces a particularly difficult technical problem (a problem consistent with the idea of the etude - an unbroken line produced by a broken fingering...hence all the hand switching and crossing), but also a certain intended musical effect which is not going to be produced by fingering the octaves in the reach of the hand - it must be a leap! Here, one of my personal favorite pianists, Dubravka Tomšic Srebotnjak, demonstrates the musical effect:

It is very, very difficult, but I think mastering this point will be well worth the effort.  

Also the octaves in at the end of measure 31, marked "con forza" aught to be in the right hand alone, and not fingered with the hands together. This too has a specific musical result at the end of it.

I love the staccato at the end of that presto cadenza passage. Well done!

That's an initial response; I wish I had more time! Enzo is doing great work, and I've always enjoyed that you let us watch his progress.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Listen to that Srebotnjak rendition of the sospiro that furtwaengler posted.  It's sublime!

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
"So many thanks" is NOT ENOUGH for the advice we get from here.

To furtwaengler - the link itself speaks so much. The technical aspects are invaluable, observations from someone who knows what should be done and corrected.

To BIRBA - we are speechless at the extra effort of making a teaching video.  It shows his passion and love for the piano and his desire to help those who need it.  The teaching video is an EXCELLENT teaching tool but requires so much effort.  We are so grateful.

It is exam time in school and it will only be tonight that we can relay to Enzo these valuable comments and the teaching video; but again we are so grateful!).

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
I found all three of the sospiro videos posted here (Enzo, Srebotnjak, and Birba's teaching video) incredibly inspiring... the only problem is that now I feel an irresistible urge to play the etude even though it's probably a bit much at the moment... but maybe someday...

Birba, would you consider posting videos/recordings of your playing? Please? :)
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline ladypianist

• PS Silver Member
To Enzo. what can one say that will not foolishly massage your ego. Such a wonderful beginning. Let us hope that is all it is Enzo, simply the start of a very long journey as you grow as a person and musican.  This piece will take you on a wonderful adventure  , a trip of self discovery to find the artist inside of you.  I believe that many years from now, when your dad is a grandfather and you sit and play this , a big smile will cross his face as he thinks back to now and listens to the mature artist and sees the man you have become.

With kindest regards from one very old artist to one very young one, Lady Piansit.
After a lifetime of learning, there is still more that I do not know , than I know.

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
enzo, you are a lucky guy to have such a great e-teacher in birba!  keep up the good work--you're clearly a great artist in the making.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Hi emill,

I've never played the Nocturne No. 3, but instead Nos. 1 and 2--probably because I like to explore lesser known works.  So I would hesitate to critique his playing of this one.  But I will say I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.  It was very beautiful and convincing in my opinion.  He is progressing so well!

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member

Birba, would you consider posting videos/recordings of your playing? Please? :)
Thanks, kelly-kelly, I'm working on it.  So far all I get are messy notes or note-perfect pieces of wood.  But I'm working on it!  >:(

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
ahhh ... my son is so sparse with his words ... so silent ... so moody....
He sat repeatedly listening to Birba's video for almost 20 minutes and just smiled
without saying much; but here is his reply to Birba's teaching video-comments
on the Un sospiro at YT:

Hi Birba,

Thank you very much for your generosity. I learned a lot from this. Thanks for reminding me to play those broken chords on the beat and when to use the pedal in those bars. Thank you for also for telling me in the last part that the first note of the melody is a half note followed by quarter notes. I didn't notice that. Again, thank you so much for all the tips and for your generosity. I hope I can play it better next time.

Enzo

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Thanks, kelly-kelly, I'm working on it.  So far all I get are messy notes or note-perfect pieces of wood.  But I'm working on it!  >:(

Like many artists ... Birba is too strict and unforgiving on himself.  The way he plays and demonstrates points in the teaching videos he made speaks excellently of his ability as a pianist and an artist.

To Enzo. what can one say that will not foolishly massage your ego. ...... This piece will take you on a wonderful adventure  , a trip of self discovery to find the artist inside of you.  I believe that many years from now, when your dad is a grandfather and you sit and play this , a big smile will cross his face as he thinks back to now and listens to the mature artist and sees the man you have become.

So many THANKS for touching a father's heart .....

..... I will say I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.  It was very beautiful and convincing in my opinion.  He is progressing so well!

Thank you David ... coming from someone who knows "his business" means a lot to us. Yes we will continue to show is progress over the years here in pianostreet even just to prod on other young pianists to persevere.

enzo, you are a lucky guy to have such a great e-teacher in birba! 
We just wish and hope Birba does not tire making teaching videos for Enzo and others.
It is such an unselfish effort and reflects genuine generosity on his part. On the other
hand it is a potential good money maker if Birba decides to become an E-piano_tutor.
WOW !!! .. but we will never be able to afford him!!  ;D

Enzo is playing beautifully....... The broken octaves starting measure 13 have a specific fingering, 3-2 (or 2-2...I think if them actually as 3-2 together for each note, jumping in both the left and the right hand). This is not a suggestion by Liszt, it is what he specifically wanted for the passage .... It is very, very difficult, but I think mastering this point will be well worth the effort. 

Thanks a lot Dave .... Enzo admitted that he changed the fingering to make it somewhat easier for him ... but I reminded him of your - "This is not a suggestion by Liszt, it is what he specifically wanted".  He nodded and requested I print your suggestions (to show to his teacher... ;D) .. NOw that is what I call learning!!

Honestly ... It is ME who is learning from all of these more than Enzo and may I thank you ALL for it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert