Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann, ABEGG Variations, Op. 1 (new clip in my new post)  (Read 5820 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Updated (1/1/12) Theme in post #41:  https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=40130.msg484335#msg484335

Updated (12/31/11) third variation in post #37:  https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=40130.msg484199#msg484199

(MONTHS AGO Entire Theme and Variations, in this post).  

"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann ABEGG (baby steps)
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:45 PM

I am hoping to not let this thread die before I've got the entire Theme and Variations from start to finish in one breath.  

I think I will probably die before you have finished, if you are just going to give us 6 seconds a day.

This is a bit of a tease really. You obviously have the fingers and I suspect you have more than this "in the bag" at the moment.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann, ABEGG Variations, Op. 1
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:33:49 AM
Well, just be glad I'm not going note by note ... haha.  I will *probably* become obssessed and, most likely, my confidence will grow as I take each step, and we'll just see how it goes!  Thanks for your comment regarding the fingers, though :).  I still hear lots to work on, but I guess that's a good thing.  Right now, for me, it's as though my piano self exists in another universe or dimension, and even though I've been playing for my teachers (sometimes better than others, of course), it's as though I am needing this kind of formal way of really defining the sounds to myself (as well as practicing putting it "out there").  It's so easy to forget how to play for other people!  But, it's already changing my world to have started this, as though I can't imagine having not put it into motion.  I'm excited :).

Updated portion in reply #17 and #18, below.

Yes, this is an itsy bitsy (but growing day by day!  :D) snippet of Schumann's Theme and variations on the name ABEGG.  I am posting a small (tiny) snippet from the third variation.  

I have goals in my life and I apparently need to take baby steps to get there.  One of the huge factors that I try to work with right now is my need to express complete ideas (as well as the need to play perfectly -- which I realize this is not).  I realized recently that part of my problem with sightreading is that I inwardly feel a complete musical idea that I don't know how to express at sight, and so the result is confusion for me.  Well, that helped me think a bit.

But, the purpose of this thread is that I plan to piece together the entire Theme and Variations, which I have been working on for quite awhile now.  I am aiming to eventually be recording entire pieces again, and performing them live, etc.  But, this is me developing that 5 yr. old self who actually knew how to think and play in entire ideas, but needs developing to fit my body and my musical self now.

My goal is to update this thread at least every week to include the parts that I have already posted, as well as whatever idea(s) come after it.  Though, I may go out of order.  I have realized that I work best when I am working as somebody who feels the need to communicate something to somebody, and not just as somebody sitting at a piano hoping things go right.  I don't imagine I will need this process for every piece in my repertoire, but probably just this once to get me started.  I am hoping that aside from the benefits it can have for me, that the process is something that somebody who may need it, can learn from, as well.  I am hoping to not let this thread die before I've got the entire Theme and Variations from start to finish in one breath.  I'm also hoping that I can start doing this in bigger chunks (more than one idea at a time) as I go, but I'm not going to force myself into that.

Cheers :).
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:54 AM
It's so easy to forget how to play for other people!  

Some of us, including me, have never had this ability in the first place. In fact, last night I was playing so well, that I reached for the recording button as I wanted to capture the moment. The second I did this, everything turned to crap ???.

Perhaps it would be best for me to build up through posting small snippets as I lose my nerve incredibly quickly.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:18:44 AM
It's short, but fun, and it sounds good. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:44:37 PM
Some of us, including me, have never had this ability in the first place. In fact, last night I was playing so well, that I reached for the recording button as I wanted to capture the moment. The second I did this, everything turned to crap ???.

Well, plenty turns to crap for me!  I am installing my "best" for today, which includes the portion I posted yesterday, along with a bit more after it, all in one breath.  I hadn't planned to post everyday, but I guess it's a good thing to aim for.

Perhaps it would be best for me to build up through posting small snippets as I lose my nerve incredibly quickly.

Thal

Well, what I am finding is that this is already an *incredibly* helpful process for me.  I really need to practice a performance mentality.  I don't want to post rubbage, but, at some point, I have to resign myself to the fact that it can always be better and be willing to be heard despite that!  argh  >:(.

It's short, but fun, and it sounds good. :)

Thanks, I'm having fun, actually :).

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 06:04:59 PM
Do I say anything in particular in this post or not?  Do I actually make a separate post, or do I sneak today's addition into my post just above?  

Well, obviously I am saying something, and obviously I have decided to attach my recording for today in a new post.  I'm not going to lie, I feel angry right now about it, but I'm aware that it's this very anger that is holding me back from achieving another level in performance, and I believe that performing helps one achieve new levels in musicianship.  I'm aiming to get over the kind of perfectionist attitude that would keep me forever to myself, but at the same time, I want to do something that is musically truly fulfilling for me.  So, that's where I'm at with this process today.  My stubbornness is forcing me into saying that, yes(!), I know there are still problems, and recording them with the intention of sharing is a powerful kind of awareness-creator.  I will just be thankful for the awareness to not ignore that there is something higher to be reached and work on my confidence to reach it.  

At least I did a bigger addition today than my chunks before this!  Tomorrow I'll aim to record the entire variation.  Now, on with the rest of the practice day.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:51:22 PM
I'm aiming to get over the kind of perfectionist attitude that would keep me forever to myself

This is difficult to do and I have never managed it myself. I recorded a Herz nocturne last night and it sounded great whilst i was playing it. When I played back the recording, I could hear nothing but faults.

The thought of posting it here fills me with dread. It is just too personal and I would rather post nude photos of myself. Besides that, I would find myself shaking with fear waiting for the first comment.

You could call me fat and I would not care, you could insult my favourite banjo and i would not bat an eyelid, but if anyone insulted my playing, I would feel it justified to hunt them down and massacre their entire family to destroy their bloodline.

Piano playing reveals too much of the inner soul.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:08:36 PM
Thal, I am shaking with fear waiting for the first comment too everytime I post something, but I post it anyway  :P And I am completely sure you play at least 100 times better than me! And I'm sure I would like your playing!  :)

m1469, I like this, I can't wait for you to post the whole variation! :)  8)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 09:11:26 PM
This is difficult to do and I have never managed it myself. I recorded a Herz nocturne last night and it sounded great whilst i was playing it. When I played back the recording, I could hear nothing but faults.

The thought of posting it here fills me with dread. It is just too personal and I would rather post nude photos of myself. Besides that, I would find myself shaking with fear waiting for the first comment.

You could call me fat and I would not care, you could insult my favourite banjo and i would not bat an eyelid, but if anyone insulted my playing, I would feel it justified to hunt them down and massacre their entire family to destroy their bloodline.

Piano playing reveals too much of the inner soul.

Thal

Thal, thanks for your thoughts.  I actually got "over" the angry part and snuck into determination-mode, which is what I am now to get this thing recorded to what I would consider a high standard.  Strangely, my determination is also infused with a glimmer of believing that I can do it!  I've got doubts, of course, but there is a WORLD of difference between being in action about this and really confronting those doubts, vs. feeling like I'm just this person inside this house not doing anything with my life except for when I get to see my teachers.  I mean, I know that it's not true that I'm not doing anything with my life, but generally, I'm ... invisible.

Anyway, after I got over being angry and then had some decent time at the piano again, I have listened to my snippet from today and, to my surprise, I don't hear only faults!  I hear ideas, too, and I want to keep working with those ideas and they even inspired me to try harder.  It's just that I feel like I'm cutting something out of stone and it feels difficult.  But, I guess that's okay.  I mean, of course it's okay, but I want to get better at this whole thing so that part of this gets easy enough that I can concentrate on higher things than just the process alone.  I know I can't skip steps though.

What I am realizing more and more, lately, and along the lines of the "school" of thinking that it is the sound that dictates our pianistic motions, etc., it's actually also some kind of sound which dictates that I must be performing.  It's as though the performance part is becoming inseparable in my concept, as though the calling of the sound within me causes it to happen, almost as though it's part of my posture at the instrument, or something.  It's difficult to explain.  But, I am very aware that there is a (currently) immeasurable distance of sorts between what I have posted in this thread so far and being on stage with an orchestra, playing a concerto (a dream), for example.  What is hard for me is that I can feel that whole idea inside of me and it's like I'm squeezing my musical/pianist self through a pinhole by comparison.  That's why it's sometimes frustrating.  But, I think I'm just getting over some kind of hump or so.

Anyway!  Practicing for recording tomorrow is currently taking up A LOT of my present practice time, so off I go!  I don't know if I'll be able to meet tomorrow's goal or not, but I will be receptive to gaining the ability throughout the day today, in my sleep :), and by the time I am to record.  

Best :).

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 04:29:46 PM
Okay, this was actually my first take :D!  The entire third variation!  I'm going to be "good" today and just say that I had fun (even though I think you can hear that I'm sleepy).  Oh, and for some reason it didn't start off recording in stereo, but then it kicks in not very long after the beginning.

m1469, I like this, I can't wait for you to post the whole variation! :)  8)

Thanks, Littletune :).

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:32:10 PM
Cool!  8) Really you were sleepy? :) No I couldn't hear it :)  :P It sounded to me like you were playing it with a lot of energy... I can't imagine what it would sound like if you weren't sleepy then!  :-\  :P  :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 07:22:43 PM
Cool!  8) Really you were sleepy? :) No I couldn't hear it :)  :P It sounded to me like you were playing it with a lot of energy... I can't imagine what it would sound like if you weren't sleepy then!  :-  :P  :)

Yeah. :P  Sleepy.  But, thanks for your feedback :).

I have to go quite a bit deeper into my study and practice in order to reach a new level in playing and performance.

I'm posting the entire fourth variation today (a little messy towards the end), with the third now deeply under construction.  I had wanted to post both together today, but that will need to be my goal for tomorrow.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 07:49:52 PM
Okay, today I had tried to do II-III-IV, all in one breath.  I am posting II and III in one breath, and it had led into IV, but that didn't end up so great, so it's just II and III with perhaps all of it tomorrow.  I'm not in love with II, it needs re-working, and I feel like I will be able to do III better, but it's better in a number of ways than what I posted of it before, despite its imperfection.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 05:17:23 PM
Wow cool! Now i did hear the difference between the III variation from when you said you were sleepy and the one from here...  8) I didn't think I could hear the difference but I did :) and I listened about 3 times to make sure I wasn't just imagining  :P Cool!  8)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 08:18:18 PM
Wow cool! Now i did hear the difference between the III variation from when you said you were sleepy and the one from here...  8) I didn't think I could hear the difference but I did :) and I listened about 3 times to make sure I wasn't just imagining  :P Cool!  8)

Well, I'm gald that you could hear a difference :).  Although, in this case, the difference was not caused just as a matter of sleepiness or not, but rather a complete shift in ... being  :-X ... including concepts in playing and some not-all-that-comfortable stuff on Friday.  BUT, a rather powerful and nice experience from about 2-3am early Saturday morning  :D. yadda yadda.

I have recorded II-III-IV today, several times, but none of them are that great.  I'm giving myself permission to take a day off from the project, and I think this will give things a little time to incubate, as well, which I sense it needs.  But, tomorrow I'm going to make myself post them, whatever state (though I'll aim at doing the best I can), because it's really easy at this point for me to slip into never being willing to be heard, again, if I let myself just drift into that thing again.  So, I think it's wise if I don't take two days off.

Well, onward!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 04:56:29 PM
Well, I'll admit, this is a bit of a "let's get'er done" post.  It's a step towards something more, and one which I couldn't quite comprehend myself making as of a week ago.  My goal is to get the whole thing recorded in one breath on Thursday, and I've gots loads of other practicing to do, so today, this is going to have to suffice!  

The best take of II-III-IV that I could manage today in my time constraints (but, I think II is too fast).  I had a difficult time focusing and I feel like I need a deeper layer in here, besides just more focused practicing, but I'm getting there!

Goals for the week:
Tuesday: Theme-I
Wednesday: Finale
                 Theme-IV
Thursday: All together

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 05:34:09 PM
So far I'm on track with meeting my goals for the week, as I am attaching my first take for today of the Theme and first variation in one breath.  I would like to give more in the first variation, and I realize there are still things I need to be doing more clearly and better, but I guess this week feels like a step altogether towards something more.  And, it's like I feel as though I can't quite reach that something more without this step.  So, even once I have posted the entire ABEGG, I feel like that will just be a little step and there's so much more that can be done with this, and my loose goal at the moment is to post a new rendition once in a while, as I work out more details of the piece/playing. 

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 06:37:02 PM
Well, I'm going to go slightly ahead of schedule and post now the Finale, which was my first take and for me a strangely exciting experience while playing.  Aside from some bloops, there are other problems, too, like tempo (for one example).  And, then of course it needs deeper art.  However, this is actually better than I could imagine (and I mean that I didn't know what to expect of myself and expected the worst), as one section is finally coming along.

I have to say, one of the wonderful things from this project, for me, has been to gain a deeper look at this beautiful piece of music.  There are aspects of it that I just didn't see before I started posting it here, and I'm excited to get better! :)  Schumann ... wow.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 12:21:18 AM
AAhhhh ... I am sure these small steps will soon coalesce into one and in due time
will sound as one fluid, enjoyable to listen piece. The way you tinker with the notes
tells me you have the ability waiting to burst into action. And how do I know? I have
had the opportunity to listen to my son take small steps on the ABEGG for several
weeks last year and it came to something good .. I think (it is posted here in pianostreet). 
Please forgive me for this gut-feel statements as I am not schooled in the piano but really
love to listen to it.  I know you will have it to your satisfaction sooner than later. ;D 
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 04:23:47 AM
I know you will have it to your satisfaction sooner than later. ;D  

I hope so!  

There are times I get determined and times that I thrive, but I can't seem to force my inner pianist to 'happen' ... she's by far got her own calendar!  I do definitely feel the concept coming together though, and I've been feeling ever since I posted the Finale today that perhaps I'll just go ahead and try the whole thing tomorrow.  I'm hoping for some good sleep tonight to let some concepts mould together and maybe even bloom, ever so slightly :).

Thanks for stopping by, for listening, and for your vote of confidence!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 08:19:37 PM
Well, I have decided that I have recorded my best for the day and it's certainly not good enough to post here.  Absolutely everything sounds like p.o.o.p. to me, even everything I've already posted here.  It's as though every little detail needs a complete makeover again ... there are just SO many things to be done better, and I can't get through the whole thing without some kind of major disaster.  For now, I'm going to chalk it up to my concept growing and me experiencing some changes and disorientation with the piece because of that, but no matter what, even if I post the whole thing tomorrow, it needs hoards of work still.  This is all the very friendly version of putting into words how I feel inside of my skin.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 09:10:14 PM
m1469 I like what you are posting and I think it's really cool that you let us hear how everything is developing and changing...  8) :) but just take your time if you feel like you need it :) and don't worry too much... I'm sure everything will turn out the way it's supposed to :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 02:48:22 AM
m1469 I like what you are posting and I think it's really cool that you let us hear how everything is developing and changing...  8) :) but just take your time if you feel like you need it :) and don't worry too much... I'm sure everything will turn out the way it's supposed to :)

Hi Littletune, thanks for your thoughts.  Honestly, if it were just a matter of me allowing people to hear it would be one thing, I guess.  It's more a matter of a deep need and desire to progress and absolutely needing to take some steps in whatever form I can.  I feel like I've tempered my musical and pianist self my whole life, and sometimes to have it even come out a little is just some kind of huge ordeal, but aside from that, sometimes I really have no idea how anything is supposed to turn out, exactly, I just can only see that I have no choice but to keep playing.  Everywhere I look, it's like life looks upsidedown compared to what I feel inside ... how can that be?  I absolutely don't get it.  I do know that I could use some exercise and to just be outside in the air and in breathe it in.  I need that, for sure.  Maybe not immediately, but this weekend I must vow to do that.

Anyway, I don't know how much longer it will take for me with this piece, but I just know it needs a whole new level, with more attention to detail and a better sense of the long line.  Do you know what's interesting?  Well, I think that Schumann was such a poet, you know?  For example, sometimes something in one variation will more or less "rhyme" with something in another variation, and strangely, if I think of them simultaneously, it helps me with whatever passage I'm playing at the time which rhymes with the other.  I mean, there's something like that maybe to every piece ... or masterpiece, perhaps.  Once when I was playing the first movement of the Appassionata, somehow to think of the end, to hear it in my head while I was playing the beginning, helped me in the beginning, and the same can be said for playing the end and hearing the beginning in my head.  Perhaps that has to do with the sense of balance to the whole piece and the style of writing?  I don't know for sure.  I just know there's WAY more for me to grab hold of and explore.  And, somehow, I think it's "supposed" to be that way.  I mean, I think that the performer is "supposed" to be aware of the whole piece whilest playing in real time whatever is happening in real time.

Anyway.  I don't know if I'll post tomorrow, even.  Right now, it's as though everything about it is changing in every moment.  What worked a couple of days ago and startled my thought into new avenues of thinking is old news now, and it's like I need a whole new level of being.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 07:49:15 PM
i only heard a few of your tinny clips, mayla. in general i find it's too notey. try to voice it wiser - so it'll flow more fluently and you won't have to struggle too much.
dignity, love and joy.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Okay, I have managed an updated version of the ABEGG Variations, the entire thing in one breath, which I have actually attached in the very first post.  

Thanks for listening, and thanks for your comments, tds :).

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Bravo and congratulations for recording this (imho very difficult) piece in one session!

It's one of those works I know of since a long time, but I got never really close to it, and I never played it. So you might take my input as coming more from only a listener's perspective.

To me it sounds as if Schumann somehow combines French and almost "chopinesque" elegance with Beethoven's "constructivistic" approach.  And then he adds a lot of humour, lightness and smiling :) And you are communicating this smiling, cheerful ("heiter") character very well to me as a listener :)
As I follow your recording with the score, I miss a bit the dynamics, in general, especially the pp, for instance in the theme I actually hear not much difference between mf and pp. Or in Var. 1 the contrast between "energico" and leggiero. Well I know, he doesn't write "leggiero" but to me there needs to be a strong contrast to the "energico" whenever you enter the pp sphere, coming from a decrescendo. And the "energico" and the buildup to it from the pp could be stronger!

So, well, I'd suggest to "exaggerate" the dynamics and contrasts. Leggiero, syncopations, affects, characters, imaginations, all you can imagine. Play the piece like you were an actor who needs to switch roles within seconds :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Hi Wolfi,

Thank you very much for this reply, it is very helpful for me.  Learning this piece has been one heck of a journey for me in so many ways.  Not only has it been such a pianistic process for me throughout, as it has been with me through so many (absolutely uncountable) different pianistic and musical changes (which feel like lifetimes), but it's been around during times of tremendous personal growth, as well.  That has been its completely own lifetimes upon lifetimes.  Tears have been shed and tempers have flared over this for me, and of course the other side of ALL of that is supposed to be the end result of it sounding absolutely effortless and entirely easy.  That kind of blows my mind  :P.

I think that maybe me learning this piece has kept Marik up at night ... haha ... that is a little bit of a joke as I have no idea.  But, I think that he and my in-state teacher might actually secretly rejoice should I *finally* move out of being crusted in stone with this and into having the ability to be truly doing whatever is asked of me with this.  Somehow, since I've posted and have listened to this recording, viewed can's recording, and have read your post, I feel still new growth taking place and new direction.

It's like your comments have communicated to me perfectly and though I won't be capable of posting another recording for at least a number of days from now, I will look forward to the next several days as I perhaps allow these ideas and other pianistic aspects to sink in.  Thank you very much :).

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
Hi m1469!  If I ever figure out how to do it, I'll have to post a recording of "Jingle Bells" as Rachmaninoff would have done it, just to add a bit of levity to this forum.  It is as though, as a musical standard to which to become tethered, Schumann is not a star or even a planet, but an asteroid, taking pianists places unpredictable even by computer, but making them feel guilty for failling to reach, because theoretically predetermined.  I don't have the score to the A-B-E-G-G variations, and even if I did, I probably couldn't tell if you were getting all the notes right because it goes so fast.  The variation with the almost ragtime base and triplets in the right hand just seems to walk along like an I-don't-know-what.  It's enough to make me think that, by some standard of ethical reckoning that only Aristotle could provide, Schumann should be held accountable for making any pianist jump through such hoops!  Runs in my mind he got off in the top storey later in life but I've never studied all the details.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Hi iratior,

Thanks for stopping by and for listening and your comments :).  At the moment, even this very precise moment, I'm feeling as though the era where I posted any of my last recordings anywhere was like a little baby step (and maybe even borderline illegal, in some cases!).  I think it's good to recognize that there is still so much more to do, don't you?  But, yes, to never quite achieve the heights is ... something.  Right now I have no idea exactly where I'm going, but the moment I think about not going anywhere and as though the world has the option of collapsing, I find myself to be somewhere quite dark.  So, I'll choose to go to whatever place of mystery I'm being catapulted.  :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann, ABEGG Variations, Op. 1 (new clip)
Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 09:26:24 PM
For some reason I must post a recording today and I am posting variation IV of this.  I'm just getting myself back together.  I listened to my last post of this variation, alone, here:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=40130.msg447312#msg447312

Icky-pooh  :-[ :-X :-

Today's should be a little tighter in concept and perhaps I am more physically able, too.  Comments are welcome, but I especially needed to post and I thank you for listening! :)

hmmm ... I'm listening, of course it still needs more work.

PS -  sorry about doggy   ::)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann, ABEGG Variations, Op. 1 (new clip in my new post)
Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 11:41:52 PM
Icky-pooh  :-[ :-X :-\

Watch your language!  %$@%....   

*Bob considers reporting such language to Nils.*
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 03:15:41 PM
%$@%....   

Well, I'm going to consider reporting you for that language!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 10:40:58 PM
Could be a mutant snail.  You shouldn't mock mutant snails.

Or it could be a brilliant scientist snail...  ::)  ... who invented a teleportation pod.  Except a fly was also in the pod with him when he teleported and now he slithers around a lump of malformed snailness.  

@$#%@%.....

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 02:40:25 AM
Oh, I'm not mocking, that's for sure.  I'm just pointing at it, telling everybody else to look at it also, and laughing a huge belly laugh at it.  And, everybody else is pointing at it and laughing, too.  But, I would never mock it.  In fact, I think you might be actually mocking me!  Are you mocking me?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 04:04:49 AM
Aw, now you've made it feel bad.  He's leaving.

/%
                                                      .  .  .  .  __=@#$

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 04:13:13 AM

/%
                             .  .  .  .  __=@#$        Ich entschuldige mich für m1469, bitte bleiben Sie!
                                                                                              @_

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Third Variation, latest (12/31/11)
Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 08:04:24 PM
I'm posting (Var. III) as a kind of progress report, I guess. I am planning to actually video record this sometime in the next several weeks.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 08:49:21 PM

/%
                             .  .  .  .  __=@#$        Ich entschuldige mich für m1469, bitte bleiben Sie!
                                                                                              \@_

Gigi, ich bin natürlich geblieben, das ist doch ganz klar, denn m1469 und ihre Musik bedeuten mir sehr viel! :)

That's so good m1469, and it just fits for New Years Eve, it's really really good, and brilliant, and cheerful, and I like it soo soo much! :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 09:04:36 PM
I'm watching the eagles and there were bird sounds (I don't know if it was eagle sounds or from some other birds) and I was listening to the recording at the same time and it goes really great together! Like you were playing outside in nature!  :)  8)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Updated Var. III in post #37
Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 09:33:08 PM
Gigi, ich bin natürlich geblieben, das ist doch ganz klar, denn m1469 und ihre Musik bedeuten mir sehr viel! :)

:)

Thank you, both!  ... for listening and for your comments :).  I, too, end up feeling like it's a really nice way for me to usher my 2012 in.  I feel like it's going to be a musically active year, and that's a nice feeling :).

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Theme, 1/1/12
Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 09:34:50 PM
Hi, I'm a little bit falling into love with this theme and yesterday I didn't plan to post it, but today I found myself wanting so badly to speak it, so here it is :).  I guess I am OK with falling into love on the first day of the new year :).

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: January 02, 2012, 08:29:30 PM
Also the theme is played very beautifully! Yes you're in love with it, that's absolutely hearable :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: January 02, 2012, 09:43:40 PM
Yes I loved it too!! It made me smile while I was listening!  :)  8)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 09:56:10 PM
It's interesting to watch your work progress and I admire you for your perseverence!  Your fingerwork is SO musical and lyric.  The line is never missing.  I'm sure your vocal background has something to do with that.  I've met sopranos that began with the piano, but never the opposite.  Only once did I meet a Russian baritone, who was fixated with the piano.  Everytime he came to sing at the opera house, we would get together and shoot the dirt about the latest pianists, recordings, concerts, etc.  I would think singing would be a more satsifying musical experience.  More immediate.  And less work! ( ;D)  I imagine Schumann would be the ideal composer for you.  So difficult for me.  Anyway, I really am looking forward to the completed work.
I'm in cap d'antibes for three months.  I brought my yamaha keyboard with me and I've drawn up a very ambitious programme.  I doubt if I'll even get through half of it.  That's why I'm so taken with your abegg project.  I want to do the same with the Berg sonata.  We'll see what happens...

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:44 AM
It's interesting to watch your work progress and I admire you for your perseverence!  Your fingerwork is SO musical and lyric.  The line is never missing.  I'm sure your vocal background has something to do with that.  I've met sopranos that began with the piano, but never the opposite.  Only once did I meet a Russian baritone, who was fixated with the piano.  Everytime he came to sing at the opera house, we would get together and shoot the dirt about the latest pianists, recordings, concerts, etc.  I would think singing would be a more satsifying musical experience.  More immediate.  And less work! ( ;D)  I imagine Schumann would be the ideal composer for you.  So difficult for me.  Anyway, I really am looking forward to the completed work.
I'm in cap d'antibes for three months.  I brought my yamaha keyboard with me and I've drawn up a very ambitious programme.  I doubt if I'll even get through half of it.  That's why I'm so taken with your abegg project.  I want to do the same with the Berg sonata.  We'll see what happens...

Hi Birba, thanks for stopping by and for your comments.  Whatever the workload situation, it seems myself prefers to have both piano and singing, hanging around with severe mannerisms.  They magically tend to help each other out, and it gets moreso over the years, which is probably a very good thing.  It seems that getting a program together is indeed a project for me, and I hope that as I continue to streamline everything about my approach, my "projects" mature into ... well, let's just say something else than single pieces.  Okay, I'm not doing actually single pieces, but it is certainly a project to get virtuosic pieces up and running to true performance standard, on the cuff of a completely rebuilt technical foundation (of course before that it was practically impossible, so I'll take the trade).  I understand we'll always have the opportunity to grow and develop (or perhaps refine moreso at some point), but getting ONE program together in this "condition" is a first step that I will be happy to have under my (suprisingly still shrinking) belt. :)

Best wishes in cap d'antibes for three months and with your yamaha keyboard.  These days I find myself struggling when it comes to long hours at my digi (when I'm out of town) ... I hope you get some acoustic time somewhere, too :).

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45:02 AM
Also the theme is played very beautifully! Yes you're in love with it, that's absolutely hearable :)

Thank you :).  I will wish to do some things differently, of course, but audible love is not bad altogether :).

Yes I loved it too!! It made me smile while I was listening!  :)  8)

I'm happy to learn that :).  Thank you :).

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 03:40:56 PM
Absolutely lovable, m1469!!!
Your musicality is amazing... A joy to listen :)  :)  :)
Please, post more of this!!!!
Cheers
Margherita

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 05:06:32 PM
The more lyrical passages gave me shivers. You must be doing something right!

Some really inspired playing here - you are not a million miles from owning this piece - Excellent.

When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 04:36:39 PM
Absolutely lovable, m1469!!!
Your musicality is amazing... A joy to listen :)  :)  :)
Please, post more of this!!!!
Cheers
Margherita

The more lyrical passages gave me shivers. You must be doing something right!

Some really inspired playing here - you are not a million miles from owning this piece - Excellent.

Thanks to both of you for listening and commenting, I'm happy you enjoyed :).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert