Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: mozart piano concerto  (Read 3798 times)

Offline 1plus

• PS Silver Member
mozart piano concerto
on: February 19, 2011, 04:56:17 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a Mozart concerto.(almost my first concerto..but i have done  several Mozart sonatas before) So i would like to have a technical difficulty order of his concerti and which one will be great for competitions?
I love all of them, especially no 20 21 22 26. My teacher want me to learn 21 but i prefer no20 who is on d min, she  told the 20 is a little bit empty and more difficult to 'surpris" the judges. I tried all the first movement in sigh reading and found they are about the same technique level...I don't know if i should choose 20 or 21?? or look at another who fits a competition..
Someone has some  for me??
I have no idea about my level, now working on Beethoven sonata op.28, Chopin scherzo no.2 WTC etc..

Thanks in advance.

Léa

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Re: mozart piano concerto
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:24:31 PM
In my humble opinion all Mozart concerti (except, perhaps, the first five) are more or less of a similar difficulty. I played nos. 16 and 20. While it's true that 20 is a bit overplayed I'd never say that it's empty. Just the opposite! It's marvelous, lyric, passionate, profound... How can somebody describe it as "empty"? ???

If you want concerti for competitions, you must first look at the rules of a few to see which ones the orchestra can play. Some typical concerti admitted for many competitions are nos. 9, 15, 17 and from 20 to 27 (but this may change from one competition to another).

I also like all Mozart concerti but from your list I'd like to play no. 22  :)

Offline 1plus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:29:48 PM
@pianist 1976
I was so sure that the word "empty" will lead to a battle..hihi ;)
In this case, my teacher wants to means that 20 need to be played perfectly for a competition as the notes are relatively simple, but we all agree that this is a absolutely brillant concerto and there's something so deep inside and if i can't reach it like what the judges want, they will simply say: I don't understand what you're doing!!... Sorry I don't know if you can understand me now..the word "empty isn't the original word used by my teacher, I just try to translate and can't find an appropriate word to fits the cas...(my poor English :'()..."I'm pretty sure that i'll play it in the futur! :D 

Thank you for the informations about orchestra.Actually as it's just a normal piano competition in my province and they accept concerti, i'll play it with my teacher.

Beyond the one i listed before, do you have other suggestions?

Offline grandstaff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:31:32 PM
Beyond the one i listed before, do you have other suggestions?

#24 in C Minor?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert