Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Revolutionary etude  (Read 5387 times)

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Revolutionary etude
on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:27 AM
I keep spamming the Audition room with recordings.

So I made some recordings of this chopin etude. Ofc, I'm not happy with any of them (always  these bloody details!!), but this one is probably the one I like the most. It's a bit rushed, and it got a bit too dry in the sotto voce... But it's always like that, and if we'd try to make perfect in every way, we wouldn't post a lot, would we?

Hope you like it! :)

Edit: Take 2 is in the bottom!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Revolutionary etude
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:24 AM
Did you just do this a while ago?  Or was that someone else?
You play it very well.  I feel those dotted 8th notes more nervous and  biting.  Sometimes the 16th note sounds too long.  I don't think it's rushed - this is the right tempo for me.  I would lighten up on the pedal, especially when there are lots of notes deep down - like in the middle part.  Experiment with a "butterfly" effect.  I think it loses a lot of it's excitement when the pedal gets muddied at times.  But other then that it was first-class.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:41:59 AM
Thanks, yeah. It's more the unevenness of the pedal I don't like. But you're probably right!

I did it some weeks ago, but that was with a bad recorder, so you couldn't really hear anything.

Thx, helpful as always! :)

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:33:42 PM
Hi  - Now thats what im talking about.  That recording wow - what a difference. 

First what I loved. Your left hand - just great.  The ending when it gets all soft before the final run to finish .

Second what I didnt like: hmm nothing here.

Third  - what I thought could be better.  Try recording this without any pedal and listen. Then read the score and listen to the recording.  It helps me with my pedaling. 

Fourth - strictly my personal opinion.  no real basis at all  - just how I felt.  Some of your attacks in the right hand when your playing loudly just didnt sit exactly right with me. NOt sure if my head needs adjusting or your right hand playing. 

bottom line.  You can play Chopin for me anytime.

Cheers, Becky

Offline monkeydudexd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:11:39 PM
Outstanding technique and I enjoyed the music very much. The left hand was very sturdy and even, which is great especially because it's so easy for it to get messy in this piece. I agree with the pedaling, it was the first thing I noticed (maybe it's the piano, sometimes the pedal doesn't come up all the way... happens to me a lot when I play on my teacher's piano, but not on mine). At a lot of the 'cries of war' in the right hand, you seem to let up on the last chord when I'm craving an even bigger finish (At seconds 27, 31, and 33 after pressing 'play'). Hm... maybe you do it for dramatic purposes? Anyway, just a personal opinion that I prefer it strong instead of a slight diminuendo. Otherwise, brilliant performance and show of technique.
Beethoven Sonata Op. 13 'Pathetique'
Beethoven Sonata Op. 31 No. 2 'Tempest'
Beethoven Sonata Op. 90
Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 17
Bach Italian Concerto

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:21:37 AM
Thanks to all of you who comments! It's almost enough to just hear that people enjoy my playing! But advice is ofc even better! :D

Becky: Yeah, the pedal is the major problem here, so thanks for that! I will record without pedal!
You're right about the right hand. It sounds a bit... hard. I think it should, but now it's almost too much.

Monkeydude: Thx! But it's not the piano. It's my grand at home, and that's the only pedal I'm totally satisfied with. I was aware about it when I posted it. So I will change it! :P
Do you have any barlines, cause when I count, I don't see what you're after. I'd appreciate it a lot! :)

Thanks all! :)

Edit a: Birba - I know the Theme is sometimes a bit rubato, but that's intentional :)

Edit b: Take 2!

Offline grouchomarx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:56:53 AM
I listened to both and really enjoyed them. I can only say that to my untrained ears it sounded very professional

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 11:31:26 AM
BRAVO!  I don't know whether you realize it or not, but the dotted 8th notes were all biting and in time!  I will take credit for that!  Rubato has nothing to do with it!  The right hand was much more exciting and I think you can even add a touch more pedal here and there.  I especially liked the way you played the last 8 or so measures. 

Offline monkeydudexd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 06:57:50 PM
I enjoyed the second recording much more. I was originally talking about the first half note in measure 13, the first quarter note in 15, and the first quarter note in 16 in the right hand. All of them have accents and are the 'cries of war' (in my opinion at least), but you did kind of a diminuendo/subito piano dynamic that to my ears just sounded a little weird. The second recording was much clearer and better, but maybe could have used even a little more on the accents. I applaud you, though, for playing this piece so amazingly.
Beethoven Sonata Op. 13 'Pathetique'
Beethoven Sonata Op. 31 No. 2 'Tempest'
Beethoven Sonata Op. 90
Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 17
Bach Italian Concerto

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 03:03:47 AM
I LIKED it!!!! ;D
AAhhh ... pianists... so strict with themselves that often they lose the view of the valley and the countryside
for that small patch of dirt"; although on second thought, this is what this forum is all about.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline danhuyle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:08:18 PM
The rhythm is internalized in my opinion just listening to it. Not only that the left hand is like velvet.
Perfection itself is imperfection.

Currently practicing
Albeniz Triana
Scriabin Fantaisie Op28
Scriabin All Etudes Op8

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:22:04 PM
Birba: Yeah, now I see what you meant. First, I thought you meant it to be very very strict in tempo.

Thank you all for commenting, means a lot! :)

And Emill, Stop write so small letters! I can't see what you say, unless I copy it! :P
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert