Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: fear and problem with performance  (Read 3289 times)

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
fear and problem with performance
on: August 07, 2004, 06:47:57 PM
hey! i have a big problem-fear of mistakes when performing. i don't have self-confidence. when i come to the stage, i start thinking 'i will mistake' or 'i can't do it'
i always saying to myself that i play well, but i doesnt work. when i am alone with professors then i don't have thhat feeling. if somebody have any advice about this please tell me
Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline Balakirev

• PS Silver Member
Re: fear and problem with performance
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 06:18:32 AM
I never performed. But In my opinion don't let all your wicked thoughts sink your brain focus on your performance. Use the fear to boost you sensivity to give a new colour to your music. :-/
Balakirev helped found the free school of Music in St. Petersburg.

Offline xtopher

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 09:33:48 AM
ok check this out..
there are a lot of ways to do that
get really really focus and think nobodys listening you..
i always do that
just focus
i dont care if i do mistakes because that worries a lot just say ill give the best of me
xtopher¡

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 10:40:27 AM
The best way to get over nervousness during performance is, of course, to perform more.

Give regular "recitals" for family members outside our immediate family.  That is, people who don't hear you practice every day.

There have been several threads here that address this very issue.  Try looking for them and seeing if any of the suggestions help you.

Shagdac

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 12:46:02 PM
I think most of us have certain fears, or at least some degree of nervousness when performing. Simply from a desire to want to do well. My first response was going to be exactly what Saturn stated: perform more! Family, friends, anyone. When I was younger and used to accompany the schools choir, that took a bit getting used to, but I did. Then I played for various churches. You may check around and see if any of them are looking for an accompanist, or even various theatre groups are often looking for pianists.  Also, if no one is around and I want to try something out...I'll call someone. I'm always "playing over the phone". Sometimes recording yourself can also be helpful.....kind of gets you used to "playing on the spot"! :)

The more you perform in front of others the more comfortable and confident you should become. Also very important, make sure you feel prepared and practiced with whatever piece you are performing, know it inside and out. That way when you do perform it, you will at least be confident that you have prepared the best you can. Try to focus on enjoying what you are doing, not on possible mistakes!

Best of Luck,
S :)

Offline newsgroupeuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 01:27:03 PM
When I was young,  I used to perform,  but as I grow up,  I've lost my confidence....

Offline liezly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 02:03:45 PM
It happens to me most of the time when I perform.  But then, I got this advice from a piano professor and performer that I would like to share with you.  

When you perform, sometimes you have to forget yourself.  Think of your music, how beautiful it is.  People don't care who you are when you perform.  It is the music that they listen to and that counts most.  :)

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 03:59:14 PM
hey! i have a big problem-fear of mistakes when performing. i don't have self-confidence. when i come to the stage, i start thinking 'i will mistake' or 'i can't do it'
i always saying to myself that i play well, but i doesnt work. when i am alone with professors then i don't have thhat feeling. if somebody have any advice about this please tell me

Also very important, make sure you feel prepared and practiced with whatever piece you are performing, know it inside and out. That way when you do perform it, you will at least be confident that you have prepared the best you can.

I agree.
Nick

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 04:02:57 PM
Guys, when you are performing, either in front of a judge, jury, or a regular audience, remember this:

At that brief moment in time, when you are on stage and are playing for your audience, it is you alone who knows that particular piece better than anyone else right at that moment in time. You need to show them.  
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 09:07:47 PM
ok thanks to all on their advices, but...
the real problem is that I perform very often, sometimes 3 times a week.  but when i come to competition, my fingers dont listen me! maybe more practice will help... ;D
    -Franz Liszt

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 03:48:08 AM
ok thanks to all on their advices, but...
the real problem is that I perform very often, sometimes 3 times a week.  but when i come to competition, my fingers dont listen me! maybe more practice will help... ;D

If you are sure that when you perform other than competition, it sounds just like you want it too, maybe some soul searching about your feeling about competition would be good, therapy etc.  But often we might think we are performing great in one situation and not another, when in reality we just became more aware of our playing in competition. Not sure what it is. Hope this helped.
Nick  

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 08:46:24 AM
dabozg, I have the same problem. I play piano at gigs all the time, and I have lots of fun, but performing at university, as soon as I know that everybody is scrutinising me, I freak out and get very shaky hands and lose a lot of control.

However, I can feel that every time I play in these situations, I can control my nerves slightly more than before, and hopefully by the end of the year, I will be able to play with my nervousness at a sensible level (because right now my nervousness is still at a ridiculous level).

I think that being nervous is the biggest thing holding me back right now, and like a technical problem, I'm going to try and fix it by practice. I'm going to try and plunge myself into the most scary situations I can think of and then after a while, I'm sure it will become a fun experience instead of a petrifying one.

I remember that last year I was scared to death even playing in front of my mum. That's not so anymore.

I guess, dabozg, you just have to be patient and keep trying.

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 12:43:39 PM
all your advices are very helpful, so thanks a lot.
and by the way, if somebody has an idea how to practise when you go to regulary school and in music school, because sometimes i don't have time to practising, or just 1 hour-but this is not enough.
i'm preparing for EPTA competition in january next year and i have 12 pieces to prepare. this summer, i learned them to play, but how to pracice so much pieces in few hours a day???
and how many hours i need to spend practise, i'm 15 years old.
ana maria ::)
    -Franz Liszt

Offline Balakirev

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 03:18:06 AM
I think we should compete in music. But if like to compete well then Have fun ;D
Balakirev helped found the free school of Music in St. Petersburg.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert