Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: pathetique 2nd movement  (Read 13122 times)

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
pathetique 2nd movement
on: March 01, 2011, 06:06:44 PM
hi guys. this is my first new topic.
I am working on the pathetique sonata for my arct exam and I do not know ow to control the pedaling for the second movement. I am kind of hovering over the pedal right now. anyone got any good ideas?
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Re: pathetique 2nd movement
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:51:05 AM
I forgot who said it, but releasing the pedal for every change in the chord would be a starting point, then adjust accordingly.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:06:20 AM
Hello. :)

Well when I play it, I don't use very much pedal. I use it pretty much throughout the piece, I but I only push down about 1/3 of the way. But then again, that may just be me. Some people may prefer more pedal.

I hope that is what you meant by "how to control the pedaling."
Currently:
Chopin Grand Valse Brilliante
Mozart Piano Sonata K 332
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 no.5,6,7
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G minor

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:31:24 PM
Hello. :)

Well when I play it, I don't use very much pedal. I use it pretty much throughout the piece, I but I only push down about 1/3 of the way. But then again, that may just be me. Some people may prefer more pedal.

I hope that is what you meant by "how to control the pedaling."

sometimes even that sounds like too much, but I really do not know. i personally feel that if you can play legato and not use pedal then that its fine. but my teacher insisted.
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:01:25 PM
My piano teacher actually makes me practice the piece without pedal, to make sure I'm playing it legato. It souns nice without pedal, but a little pedal definetely helps.
Currently:
Chopin Grand Valse Brilliante
Mozart Piano Sonata K 332
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 no.5,6,7
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G minor

Offline notsobreitbart

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 04:17:20 AM
I've been told that practicing without the pedal is always a good idea and pays off.  Especially in this slow movement, which has some very unusual phrasing.

Pedaling I think for this piece should be minimal.

Related to this, I am wondering if it is technically possible to play, in the third phrase of this movement (right after the modified repeat of the original theme), the repeated middle C's legato without pedal.  I can't seem to do it and am wondering if it is even possible.

Any insight would be helpful.

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 06:13:56 AM
I find that pedaling suggestion on Beethoven PS by Editio Musica Budapest (editor: Weiner) is fairly good and practical.  An example is attached.  FYI, I used the aforesaid edition (though I also crossed checked other editions like Henle, ABRSM, Schirmer, etc.) to play Beethoven PS #31 for my fellowship diploma exam (Trinity UK).  Of course, at the end, I still need to adjust in accordance with the instrument and the venue to get the desirable sound.

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 06:28:07 AM
-
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert