Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninov or Rachmaninoff?  (Read 30487 times)

Offline nataliethepianist

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninov or Rachmaninoff?
on: March 19, 2011, 02:10:59 AM
Personally, I spell it "Rachmaninoff", but I know others spell it differently. Just out of curiousity, how do you spell, I would like to see which one is more popular of a spelling!

Offline thinkgreenlovepiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninov or Rachmaninoff?
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:18:17 AM
Well Rachmaninoff spelt it Rachmaninoff... so I go with that :)

Although if I'm typing fast online, sometimes I might use "Rachmaninov"without realizing. Either way, we know who we're talking about! My Firefox spell check underlines Rachmaninov though =/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:41:55 AM
This is interest as it was noticed above, RachmaninoV spelt it Rachmaninoff himself. In Cyrillic, his name is spelled Рахманинов.

See that little B thing at the end? It is read as a 'V' sound. For that reason, I spell his name as Rachmaninov.

It is same for Prokofiev and other really.

What is more annoying is people using alternative spellings like Stravinskij or Shostakowitsch or even Cajkovskij as opposed to Stravinsky or Shostakovich or Tchaikovsky respectively. This makes it quite difficult to search online or asking the people at the counter if they have a certain work by a certain composer for sale. Of course, searing on the forums is quite difficult also.

As to some people who spell his same Tchaikowsky (Чайковский) again see that little B thing before the C? It also reads as a 'v'. I don't understand how people can replace the spelling of the composers' names with a 'w' instead of a 'v', as it should sound!

Perhaps someone could enlighten me?
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:51:10 AM
Rachmaninoff is definitely used more often.

The Celebration Series 2001 edition used Rachmaninoff for the grade 10 piece.

And They CAN'T be wrong... :P

Offline thinkgreenlovepiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 03:53:52 AM
Rachmaninoff is definitely used more often.

The Celebration Series 2001 edition used Rachmaninoff for the grade 10 piece.

And They CAN'T be wrong... :P

::) One of their pieces had a typo... they forgot an accidental. well the 2008 one anyway. :P

This is interest as it was noticed above, RachmaninoV spelt it Rachmaninoff himself. In Cyrillic, his name is spelled Рахманинов.

See that little B thing at the end? It is read as a 'V' sound. For that reason, I spell his name as Rachmaninov.As to some people who spell his same Tchaikowsky (Чайковский) again see that little B thing before the C? It also reads as a 'v'. I don't understand how people can replace the spelling of the composers' names with a 'w' instead of a 'v', as it should sound!

Well I thought the "ов" is pronounced more like an "off", because it's at the  end of a word... (ok now I know its called final devoicing, thanks (: ) Are there exceptions to that rule? I'm just curious, because I'm not Russian :P

There is no perfect transliteration system I guess. Maybe its just easier to type Stravinskij the same way one would type it on a Russian keyboard?? Instead of changing spellings all the time?

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:12:29 AM
You know, I capitalized CAN'T for a reason :) Maybe I should have said CAN'T.

Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Prokofiev.

Those are the right ways to spell their name with the English alphabet.

Why?

Because I said so :P

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:51 AM
The variation in spelling occurs in Russian transliterations because of a linguistic trait common in Slavic languages (and others) called final consonant devoicing. Rachmaninoff's (I use this spelling) name may end with a letter that directly transliterates to V in the Cyrillic alphabet, but V is devoiced at the end of a word to F. Similarly, Z devoices to S and B devoices to P at the end of Russian words, to name other examples. It is interesting to note that with many other Russian composers and performers, the transliteration of their name is directly done, as opposed to taking into account final consonant devoicing, and some examples are Nikolai Petrov, Mily Balakirev, Edison Denisov, and many, many others. Rachmaninoff perhaps used this spelling because he knew English. And, if you are already confused, this only is the tip of the iceberg as far as other transliteration anomalies. There are probably thousands of ways to validly spell these Russian composers/performer's names.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:13:42 AM
The variation in spelling occurs in Russian transliterations because of a linguistic trait common in Slavic languages (and others) called final consonant devoicing. Rachmaninoff's (I use this spelling) name may end with a letter that directly transliterates to V in the Cyrillic alphabet, but V is devoiced at the end of a word to F. Similarly, Z devoices to S and B devoices to P at the end of Russian words, to name other examples. It is interesting to note that with many other Russian composers and performers, the transliteration of their name is directly done, as opposed to taking into account final consonant devoicing, and some examples are Nikolai Petrov, Mily Balakirev, Edison Denisov, and many, many others. Rachmaninoff perhaps used this spelling because he knew English. And, if you are already confused, this only is the tip of the iceberg as far as other transliteration anomalies. There are probably thousands of ways to validly spell these Russian composers/performer's names.

Which is what makes doing research so frustratingly difficult, especially if someone uses a rather obscure version of spelling, such as Cjaijkowskij or something along those lines.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:00:11 PM
Which is what makes doing research so frustratingly difficult, especially if someone uses a rather obscure version of spelling, such as Cjaijkowskij or something along those lines.

You won't see any of those obscure spellings in most cases, unless you are doing research in a language that isn't English. In English, Tchaikovsky is probably used about 95% of the time. In Germany, though, for example, you'll see Tschajkowskij or something similar.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 08:44:25 PM
All this illustrates is that there is very little agreement on how to interpret the letters in the Roman alphabet, and even the ones in the Cyrillic alphabet are often ambiguous. If you want to find a much better-applied alphabet you have to look to the smaller languages. The Georgian alphabet is perfect: it has a unique sound every letter and a unique letter for every sound. Therefore, literacy in Georgia is effectively 100%: if you know the alphabet, you can spell any word.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:09:49 PM
All this illustrates is that there is very little agreement on how to interpret the letters in the Roman alphabet, and even the ones in the Cyrillic alphabet are often ambiguous. If you want to find a much better-applied alphabet you have to look to the smaller languages. The Georgian alphabet is perfect: it has a unique sound every letter and a unique letter for every sound. Therefore, literacy in Georgia is effectively 100%: if you know the alphabet, you can spell any word.

Unfortunately, people aren't exactly going crazy over Giya Kancheli or his other Georgian brethren.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 09:51:40 PM
I'm an American and have been cheerfully arguing the Rachmaninoff-Rachmaninov issue with my British friends for years.  Where Rachmaninoff (the spelling I use) lived in the U.S. for many years and knew both Russian and English as well as the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets, the fact is and remains that he signed his name "Rachmaninoff".  So I conclude that it was his clear preference as well. 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline john11inc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:03:01 PM
It really doesn't matter; both are considered acceptable.  The standard accepted rules of English phonetic adaptations of Slavic languages changed throughout the 20th century, hence the confusion.  Earlier in the 20th century, "Rachmaninoff" would have been the correct, whereas "Rachmaninov" is now considered preferred, from a purely technical perspective.  But either is completely fine.  In much the same way, who we now know as Shostakovich used to be Shostakowitch and so forth.  For some reason, the original spelling of Rachmaninov stuck, though.
If this work is so threatening, it is not because it's simply strange, but competent, rigorously argued and carrying conviction.

-Jacques Derrida

https://www.youtube.com/user/john11inch

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:57:20 PM
In much the same way, who we now know as Shostakovich used to be Shostakowitch and so forth.

The only reason why Shostakovich used to be Schostakowitsch (or similar) was because of different transliteration conventions in certain languages like German, like I explained earlier. Also, Shostakovich himself used the Sch- transliteration, I believe. (which is where the DSCH motive comes from).

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:14:51 PM
I always hear "Rachmaninov" here in Sweden, so I spell it like that when i write on a swedish website. But on english/american/whatever websites, I spell it "Rachmaninoff", because that's how everyone spells it like.

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 01:05:42 PM
My preferred spelling is Rockmanonoff. Because it says Rockman on off. Like this picture:

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 04:44:18 PM
This cracked me up.
I don't practice.  I call it play because I enjoy it. --A quote by Floyd Cramer.

Offline nataliethepianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 06:21:39 AM
Good one!

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 04:06:57 PM
Well, he does seriously rock.  Can you say that about classical composers?
I don't practice.  I call it play because I enjoy it. --A quote by Floyd Cramer.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 03:45:56 AM
I think 'Rachmaninov' is the Russian version and 'Rachmaninoff' is the English version.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 04:09:28 AM
I think 'Rachmaninov' is the Russian version and 'Rachmaninoff' is the English version.

Read my original post if there is any more debate. It pretty much answers the original poster's question.

Point being, there are many accepted spellings of his name. Really, if you want to nitpick, Rachmaninoff is the best spelling because that is what he himself used when he wrote in English. Or, if you want to nitpick even further, "Рахманинов" (the Russian) is the best acceptable spelling.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 12:53:15 AM

Yes "w" in German sounds like a "v" in English.  Also, "w" is pronounced like "v" in Polish, I think, so, in Szymanowski and Moszkowski, the last two syllables actually rythm with the last two in Tchaikovsky. "Cjaijkowskij" might be the Polish spelling as well.

Also, another variant for Rachmaninov is Rakhmaninov, which, although much rarer, is quoted in the Oxford Dictionary of Music.
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Offline werq34ac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 05:35:05 AM
I've seen both used equally. However, more formally (like CDs, itunes and recordings) I see Rachmaninov more and for more informal references, (facebook, this forum, etc.) I see Rachmaninoff more often. Though I think that most programs for concerts I've been to use Rachmaninoff.
Ravel Jeux D'eau
Brahms 118/2
Liszt Concerto 1
Rachmaninoff/Kreisler Liebesleid

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 01:52:52 PM
i love both their stuff so much! they compose actually quite similar to each other! :P
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert