Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Is there any way to tell for sure someone is who they say they are?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
I was just wondering about this.  Couldn't everything still be faked?  Or at least there's a chance things could still be faked.

Is there any way to verify someone is who they say they are on here/online?  If someone posts a picture it could be of someone else.  Same thing with a recording. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
that's like saying the world might not exist

Or you're actually under an experiment from a mad scientist who is feeding you some drugs and making you hillucinate

You can never know what the "truth" is.

Offline thinkgreenlovepiano

• PS Silver Member
You can never know what the "truth" is.

Then how do you know that statement is true? 
(Sorry, blame my philosophy teacher ;) )
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
Are you by any chance doing IB (TOK)?

I don't "know", persay, I assume. I think. Because I do not believe the opposite, thus I am led to believe that statement. Is it possible that I'm wrong? Yes. Do I think I'm wrong? No.

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
I wanna know what love is ..... now you can show me .....  :-*

• PS Silver Member
Are you by any chance doing IB (TOK)?

I don't "know", persay, I assume. I think. Because I do not believe the opposite, thus I am led to believe that statement. Is it possible that I'm wrong? Yes. Do I think I'm wrong? No.

No. Which also means yes. Which means no. Which means yes.  etc etc etc.... Am I only assuming the definitions of yes and no? ::)
At my school, you have the choice of taking either morality or philosophy. It's mandatory. MANDATORY. If you don't take it, you don't graduate. And since I'm bored, I opted to take both.
(Anyway, I don't want to get off topic)
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
That's messed. In BC,you only have to take A grade 12 English

meaning you can take english, first nations studies ,and this other thing that I forgot wat it was.

In my opinion, definition are True, because you defined it to be that way. You can't be "wrong", if you defined it...

But who knows, there might be a greater logic that takes precedence over my logic

• PS Silver Member
That's messed. In BC,you only have to take A grade 12 English

meaning you can take english, first nations studies ,and this other thing that I forgot wat it was.

In my opinion, definition are True, because you defined it to be that way. You can't be "wrong", if you defined it...

But who knows, there might be a greater logic that takes precedence over my logic
It's not an Ontario thing, its a "my school" thing. :) In Ontario standards I think the only grade 12 requirement is English.
The world is going to be messed up then, if everyone has different definitions.

Back on topic, I wouldn't post a picture of myself, because I'm paranoid.
I don't have the energy to fake things. Even if I lied, I could never post someone else's recording as my own. That just feels weird. Because music is so personal... And besides, I can't find bad enough recordings to pass off as my own :)

What if you had everyone making a video of themselves, saying, hi, I'm (username). And then record themselves play? Not that I'm ever going to do that, I value my privacy too much (:
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
It's not an Ontario thing, its a "my school" thing. :)
The world is going to be messed up then, if everyone has different definitions.

Back on topic, I wouldn't post a picture of myself, because I'm paranoid.
I don't have the energy to fake things. Even if I lied, I could never post someone else's recording as my own. That just feels weird. Because music is so personal... And besides, I can't find bad enough recordings to pass off as my own :)

It's like you're actually my parents' friends' daughter =] or something like that

:D :D :D :D

I guess everyone DO have their own definitions. Fortunately, most of our definitions are quite similar. But when I say "ow, it hurts", do you really know what I"m feeling? I don't think so.

So we do have our own interpretations of words, or own definitions we put on these sounds and chicken marks that our ancestors bequeathed us.

yeah I don't post my pictures either.. not because I'm paranoid, but because I don't want to hurt your eyes.

• PS Silver Member
:o How am I like your parents' friends' daughter?

When you say ow, you're feeling pain? ;D Yeah, I understand what you're saying though. Remember in the bla bla thread, with me and my lingual OCD?

Back on topic: I seriously think the video thing could work, but its not very practical.  But you know, even in real life, people may not be who they say they are. That's life.
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
What I mean is

It would be funny if you were....

I could videotape my friend playing like a pro and pretend its me... :P

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
I'm getting the impression there is another "becky" here.  Not on this thread, but this person has re-surfaced and I'm VERY curious as to the origins of his-her posts.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Beck's going to make everyone paranoid now.

You could find someone else to stand in for a video. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Beck's going to make everyone paranoid now.

Glenn Beck?   ;D
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Well maybe we should all give our addresses, I mean not email, but where we live... and then they would send us a secret code on that address and then we would have to tell it. So if someone gave the wrong address they couldn't know the code.  :P
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert