Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Non-musical audiences... again  (Read 1960 times)

Offline jr11

• PS Silver Member
Non-musical audiences... again
on: August 11, 2004, 09:02:23 PM
I started a thread a while ago about whether people enjoy playing for knowledgable audiences or those not so savvy to the classics. My position was I prefered non-musical types, but after last weekend I'm not so sure...

I was doing a musical program for a large family re-union, including some pop vocal/guitar work, vocal/key work, and a Sunday morning program of classical piano (played on an electronic board through a PA). First problem was the PA was hopelessly underpowered for the room (large gym), and there was no monitor speaker. Therefore, all I could hear of myself were the echoes off the back wall, which sounded like mud... pretty much playing deaf. Workable for pop maybe, but not classics.

The pop program went okay. On Sunday I figured I'd beat the monitor problem by wearing headphones. I started with a Brahms Intermezzo in E which generated no response or interest, except for someone who asked me if I knew everyone could hear me (she thought I was just listening to headphones!). Okay, so next was *irk* Fur Elise, and suddenly I was the most amazing talent in the world. After nice applause, I went into a Bach pre/fu. Back to zero interest. Then half way though the prelude, one of the event organizers walks up to the stage, stands between me and the audience, and says how 'bout I make myself useful and help them set up some chairs... now.

Well, I guess the customer is always right. That was the end of the musical program, but client was happy enough anyhow 'cause I helped so much with the hall cleanup. The guy said he'd be pleased to pass on my name to others... oh great.

Offline monk

• PS Silver Member
Re: Non-musical audiences... again
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 01:29:34 AM
1. Don't ever play pop first, then classical. People will perceive that as anti-climactic. Always start with classical.

2. Classical music has to be played with the proper attitude, that is: All listeners have to sit down and SHUT UP. Otherwise no one will be willing to listen, and no one will detect any subtleties in your playing.
People always want to blather, and if they are requested to be quiet and listen, most people are annoyed and want to escape. That's a main reason "normal" people don't go into classical concerts - because they aren't allowed to let out their mental crap during performance!

3. Classical on an electric keyboard - for (sometimes) practice O.K., for performance: NO!!!!! It simply doesn't sound properly, and it looks sh*tty. Next time get a real piano, and dress in a suit or cutaway. If they don't have a real piano, just play pop.

4. Playing with headphones on looks even weirder! No wonder they didn't take you seriously, sorry.

5. Play the "greatest hit" always last! Playing Bach after "Für Elise" is very poor programming. (When the audience is uneducated.)

6. You seem to have acted like a real underdog. Even if you think of yourself as a not-so-advanced player and so on, you must act as if you are a really important artist. By your appearance it must be clear that asking to help with the chairs would be an insult to you. You are the artist, and the organisation and setup are done by others, period.

Best Wishes,
Monk

Offline Allan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 01:59:49 AM
I appreciate this thread as it is of great interest to me.  The best way to play to an audience with little or no exposure/understanding to classic music (I prefer this to "non-musical") is to give them a little insight as to the music itself.  "Believe or not, folks,  a fugue has a tune!  It goes like this (play the subject).  If you pay attention to this theme, you will hear it in the alto, soprano, tenor, etc.... "   I have done this and this has really opened the door to the beginning of understanding music---especially for young audiences.  It is part of my calling in life to bring classical music to others who have had less training/opportunity than I have been blessed with.   I realize, however, that in the context you mentioned, there was not a real opportunity to do this.  

Offline jr11

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 06:07:31 PM
Thanks Monk;  I have seen other posts of yours, and will accept your comments seriously as constructive criticism. The Sunday morning classical program was meant to be an informal affair, providing background music while people (hung over from Saturday night) chatted and ate breaky. The client prefered my presence to be subdued, and thus I treated it more like a rehersal session than a gig. Considering what you have said, I would be more assertive next time, dressing formally and presenting myself as the centre of attention with a more flambouyant playing style. Yeah, the headphones were goofy, and I should have gone out and rented a powered monitor. There WAS a piano, but let's just say it was less than serviceable. You are right about programming, and I wouldn't have played Fur Elise at all, but I felt needed to gain some attention at that point or totally lay an egg.

The problem was the client not knowing what they wanted, but adamant to maintain control over the event. There were over 100 people there, and not a high school diploma among them... shortly after my program was the corn shucking contest. A tough crowd, but I am not in a postion to turn down work, and getting stiffed by an angry client is a drag. On the upside I did get some nice compliments, and that is why I persevere.

Allan;  it sounds like we share an affinity for bringing the classics to the masses. But you are right, this was not an audience with the desire or capacity to be educated.

Offline monk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 06:49:47 PM
O.K., JR, let's summarize it simply:

It was a poorly planned event (like so often), and you were poorly prepared.

What you can learn is not to expect anything of value of such circumstances. I.e., not to expect that you're playing well or that your playing is really appreciated. For such results, another setting, another kind of preparation and another frame of mind is necessary.

The whole thing has only peripherally to do with the musicality of the audience.

Best Wishes,
Monk

Offline IllBeBach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 05:07:22 PM
Hmm, sounds like my family....you wouldn't happen to be related to me would you, hmm?   ;)

Unfortunately, I've found that bringing culture to the relatives is a difficult endeavor.  Speaking in terms of my own:  They like only the most well-known and lightest of classics.  If it's been in a well-known movie they might know it, and if they know it they'll like it.  Bach preludes and fugues are never going to go over very well unless you play them very fast or you play the famous Organ prelude in D minor that everyone knows from Halloween.

You'd probably do better to stick to things like:

Beethoven   Fur Elise
                   Moonlight Sonata
Schumann    Traumerei
Chopin          Revolutionary Etude, Op. 10, #12
Chopin          Etude in E, Op. 10, #3
Liszt              Anything Flashy + Liebestraume

and-----         piano arrangements of popular classical tunes like Rossini's "William Tell" Overture, Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, etc. etc.   :-X

Then in the midst of all this "fluff" mix in something new and interesting like a Debussy Prelude, etc., etc.  It helps if it has a story or programmatic  elements that you can explain in a short sentence to the listeners.  

And for heaven's sake....

Don't play:

Schoenberg
Later Scriabin
Webern
Berg
Ginastera

In short anything that is dissonant, requires concentrated listening for than 3 to 5 minutes continuously, or anything without a pretty melody.  :P

I wish that I had cultured relatives with which I could discuss things like classical music and art.  Why are people so resistant to learning new things and expanding their knowledge?
Soli Deo Gloria

Offline monk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 05:46:33 PM
Why are people so resistant to learning new things and expanding their knowledge?

They aren't always.

But when they listen to music, they don't want to learn. They just want to be pampered with sound or want to dance.

Just like with holidays: Most people don't want to learn about different cultures etc. in holidays, but just hang around at the beach, get drunk in the evening and f*ck strangers.

For them, learning means: boring; sitting in a classroom; something needed to not become unemployed.

So, tell normal people: "hey, you have the great chance to learn something!", and they will flee and call you a boring nerd.

Best Wishes,
Monk

Offline liszmaninopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 09:19:30 PM
In my experience, though, non-musical people do grow to understand some pieces eventually.  For example, when I started working a while back on Prokfiev's toccata, I heard numerous complaints such as "Why do you always play such ugly stuff?" and "why don't you play something nice, dear?".  Now that it's polished and my family is used to it, they actually rather enjoy the rythm and excitement.

However, as a rule, non-musical people don't like unfamiliar things.  It makes me wonder how they ever got to appreciate any music at all-the first time they listened to their favorite music, it was unfamiliar then...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert