Piano Forum logo
December 17, 2017, 06:06:16 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Sigismond Thalberg’s 200th Anniversary

The recent anniversaries of Chopin and Schumann in 2010 and Franz Liszt in 2011 inspire us to once again travel back in time and set focus on another tremendously important, yet almost forgotten virtuoso pianist from this golden era of pianism: Sigismond Thalberg. Read more >>

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project 27  (Read 16152 times)
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »

Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2011, 04:30:02 AM »

"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2011, 10:39:57 AM »

From my practice session today, slow run-through of op 10 no. 1 and op. 10 no. 2
I think it was a good idea to start recording these on video, I noticed many weird positions and habits, I am currently trying to fix them, but obviously there are still problems and I must keep myself back from speeding because then I tend to cheat a lot Tongue

pianisten1989
PS Silver Member

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »

From my practice session today, slow run-through of op 10 no. 1 and op. 10 no. 2
I think it was a good idea to start recording these on video, I noticed many weird positions and habits, I am currently trying to fix them, but obviously there are still problems and I must keep myself back from speeding because then I tend to cheat a lot Tongue

I've played that etude (not to perfection, but I could play it kind of evenly in a quite good tempo) and it really helps if you over-do the wrist movements, jsut as exercise. You could also angle your hand a bit more. Chopin wrote a lot like that - turn your hand slightly to the right when you go up, and then go out with your elbow when you're going down...
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »

That's interesting. I had noticed that I angled the right hand way too much, and tried now to bring the wrist more behind the fingers that are just playing, especially the outer fingers 3-4-5, in both etudes. I had been "afraid" of putting weight on these outer fingers, but both etudes emphasize on these fingers, so I thought I need to train them more, so I can more rely on them.
roxyroo98
PS Silver Member

« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2011, 03:58:22 AM »

Hey I will learn op 25 no 5!  Grin
cygnusdei
PS Silver Member

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »

Cool, welcome to pianostreet, and to the pianostreet chopet hall of fame!
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »

pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »

When I first started again to practice op 10 no. 2 a few weeks ago, 5 minutes were actually too much! Now I consider my progress solely in that I am now able to practice it up to one hour a day without damaging my hand Tongue But that's part of the process with this etude, the hand needs to adapt to it step by step. So I think you are on a safe path Smiley
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2011, 01:15:24 AM »

nyiregyhazi
PS Silver Member

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »

Personally, I'd recommend much more legato between the thumb and fifth on the way down. Although this is not necessarily possible at speed, it's an excellent way to prepare for the final product when working slower. The thumb needs to get a feel for clinging on as long as possible to maintain stability. I'd work on connecting it literally to the fifth (by dragging the whole arm across with the thumb underneath)- or could feel like a very big hop when you go faster. When you feel a connection from the thumb, there's scarcely any sense that the fifth is leaping anywhere. When the thumb lets go early, it feels like the fifth has to be thrown across a massive distance very quickly, and without anything to stabilise it.

cygnusdei
PS Silver Member

« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »

Don't tell him, show him!  Tongue

Inviting all lurkers - come join the fun!
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »

@Nyiregyhazy: Good remark, I'll try it out, thank you Smiley
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »

@Mayla: thank you for posting! I am following every note with great interest Smiley
I remember Scherbakov said that Naoumov called this an etude for the left hand. That sorta stayed with me during the years Smiley
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »

pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »

Hi Mayla, no I didn't intend to indicate anything about the balance of your hands Smiley I would have said this directly. I feel differently with these recordings of you, it's more like I were standing besides you and just being touched by your playing, and following along as you go further Smiley I just wanted to share because I was aware of the background that you describe, at least regarding Marik, because I had read it in one of his posts.
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »

ongaku_oniko
PS Silver Member

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2011, 02:27:17 AM »

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I have to go back to toronto for summer school and thus will not have a piano the whole summer. As a result, I will have to withdraw from this.

I'm sorry for any inconvience, I really would've liked to participate.
cygnusdei
PS Silver Member

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2011, 03:58:04 AM »

Hi ongaku - that's too bad, but it's OK, I bet Mayla will snap your etude in no time Smiley

Anyway, here is my "before" version of Op. 25 no. 2. Comments please? My Henle urtext shows the left hand lines as one part polyphony, but I've seen other edition with the bass notes held.

Listening through, it seems like I don't do either way consistently. How would you play it?

* Etude in F minor, Op. 25 no. 2 (05_0.mp3 (1911.94 KB - downloaded 28 times.)
furtwaengler
PS Silver Member

« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2011, 05:42:52 AM »

That op. 25 no. 2 Sounds great!

I've been wrapping things in my work accompanying. Tomorrow we have the last juries, and then I'll be able to really start on these etudes. I've been looking forward to it, and have gotten in some bits in the mean time. I will be doing op. 10 no. 8 in addition to the others I listed - I tried it out and could not put it down.

Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »

Hi ongaku - that's too bad, but it's OK, I bet Mayla will snap your etude in no time Smiley

Anyway, here is my "before" version of Op. 25 no. 2. Comments please? My Henle urtext shows the left hand lines as one part polyphony, but I've seen other edition with the bass notes held.

Listening through, it seems like I don't do either way consistently. How would you play it?

Please cut your fingernails... it's a major distraction from trying to listen to this lovely piece which you did play quite flowingly.

cygnusdei
PS Silver Member

« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the feedback  Kiss I think I have a rough idea what kind of 'sound' I should aim for in this etude - interesting how the da capo bar with all the c's, d♭'s, and b's needs sustaining pedal throughout. I'll make sure to cut my nails shorter next time - but I think it they need to be cut pretty far in to eliminate the clicking noises.
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »

That or you're curving your fingers a little too much.

liszt1022
PS Silver Member

« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »

Are you feeling the triplet 8ths in the right hand?
.|-.|-.|    .|-.|-.|
versus
.|-.|    .|-.|      .|-.|

(I can't tell from the recording)
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »

cygnusdei
PS Silver Member

« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2011, 02:05:18 AM »

The overriding metre is 2/2 cut time as indicated in the time signature, so the pulse follows triplets in the left hand. If Chopin had intended the pulse to follow the right hand, the time signature would have been 4/4, I think.

One of these days I'm gonna buy me a nice concert grand and hire a sound engineer so he can place the microphones away from my pesky nails!

PS: Mayla - you are the mother of all (orphan) etudes!
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2011, 02:19:37 AM »

liszt1022
PS Silver Member

« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2011, 03:39:25 AM »

The overriding metre is 2/2 cut time as indicated in the time signature, so the pulse follows triplets in the left hand. If Chopin had intended the pulse to follow the right hand, the time signature would have been 4/4, I think.

One of these days I'm gonna buy me a nice concert grand and hire a sound engineer so he can place the microphones away from my pesky nails!

PS: Mayla - you are the mother of all (orphan) etudes!

If Chopin didn't mean triplets in the right hand, he would not have grouped them in triplets. Godowsky's studies all make a big point out of the triplet feel of the running RH.
It's possible to feel RH triplets just fine, just mash down on the first of every 3 notes until it feels natural. I think it's one of the points of the etude.
cygnusdei
PS Silver Member

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2011, 06:02:11 AM »

But of course Chopin meant the triplets on the right hand. Just as he meant the Presto, the molto legato, and the slurs connecting whole pages into but a few continuous phrases. Just as he meant the triplets on the left hand, and the 2/2 cut time signature.

I'm not too familiar with the Godowsky studies, but hey, let's do Project 53 next year!
liszt1022
PS Silver Member

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »

I'm not too familiar with the Godowsky studies, but hey, let's do Project 53 next year!
Don't get me excited :(
It's possible to do but I don't think there are enough people willing to go crazy.
This used to be 25/11...

cygnusdei
PS Silver Member

« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:16 AM »

Something tells me we shouldn't underestimate MonstyMachine  Tongue
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »

quantum
PS Gold Member

« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2011, 05:32:20 AM »

Wasn't signed up for this particular one, but I started learning it around the time this thread was posted.  Decided to set a goal so it would get done.  This was programmed as a postlude in church.  

Spring has arrived here, thus the weather is having its effects on the piano's tuning.  Some colorful pitches resulted Cheesy

* May-08-2011_op25-12.mp3 (3567.39 KB - downloaded 29 times.)

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »

Wow, welcome! Unleash da fury  Grin. I am also working on this one...and two others, and just started to learn op.10,5...but so far I officially stick to my three etudes. I am slowly progressing. Problems with speed and accuracy...I need patience. Omm -_-
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »

pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »

Oh oopsies...nevermind  Smiley

@Pianisten 1989: stay here! That's an order!! Angry

Grin
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »

pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »

Oh oopsies again, I have edited too LOL  Grin But now we'll keep it there, do we? Smiley
Yeah that's exactly it Smiley
furtwaengler
PS Silver Member

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »

My old high school choir teacher put me on the spot yesterday, so I thought I'd try one of them Chopin etudes. It did hurt my head...

(BTW, had I been expecting this, I'd of had the Zoom with me. I had the voice recorder in my pocket again.)

* op. 10 no. 7.mp3 (1054.73 KB - downloaded 23 times.)

Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2011, 01:38:14 PM »

pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »

Oh  Cry.  No biggie.  But, I really liked what you wrote.  Can I keep the quote up?  Smiley

Yes of course Smiley

Dave I love this etude, it's on my longterm list. Seems you are on a very good way!

Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »

floydcramerfan
PS Silver Member

« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »

Oh, you rock, man.  BTW, is the awesomeness that is Chopin's Etude in E Major on this thread?

I don't practice.  I call it play because I enjoy it. --A quote by Floyd Cramer.
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »

Oh, you rock, man.  BTW, is the awesomeness that is Chopin's Etude in E Major on this thread?

Quantum has signed up for that one. But there's no recording yet on this thread, I think. And you are welcome to contribute Smiley

Btw you are "not into classical" and call this awesomeness? I sense an upcoming addiction to "classical"  Grin Cool
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »

Okay, here is Op. 25 no. 1 update.  From memory, but obviously still a work in progress.  

In very good progress I think Smiley
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »

Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:58 PM »

pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »

Sure it needs a lot of work, but you'll do it Smiley Go Monsty go Smiley

you know what? I have actually managed to get one measure of op 10,2 up to speed.One measure. Twice. And a couple of half measures. That was a huge thing, yesterday, I mean today in the wee hours of the morning  Cool
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »

floydcramerfan
PS Silver Member

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2011, 10:33:39 PM »

Wolfi, I have a very weird reaction to classical.  I love some of it and then some of it I don't really dig, but you'd have to be a straightie headed straightie not to want to play the Etude in E as loud as it will go.  I used to play part of it when I played classical, but dang it if I didn't forget how to play it.  I get part of the way through it and then have a brain fart and can't get any farther, so I switch to the gospel song that sounds very similar to it.  And I don't even let my teddy bears hear me play classical, so I sure wouldn't let you experts hear it.  It would probably be comedy gold.

I don't practice.  I call it play because I enjoy it. --A quote by Floyd Cramer.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: