Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Project Shapety Shape  (Read 69025 times)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Project Shapety Shape
Reply #450 on: March 06, 2012, 12:43:15 PM
Personally, I don't think she looks great
As it happens, nor do I, for what that snippet of information may or may not be worth, given that it doesn't seem to be part of the topic...

Far too much muscle for me.
Useful things, muscles, though.

Making love to her would be like going to bed with a cheese grater.
What a marvellously imaginative metaphor! But why would you be concerned about making love to her as though her qualifications in that department were the reason for posting her picture?

Women should be smooth and have curves.
And all Thals should be Neander, I suppose.

I think that you're going to get some responses to that, so I'll leave it open for those who want to post them...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #451 on: March 06, 2012, 07:27:28 PM
Useful things, muscles, though.

Indeed, as Frank Zane clearly demonstrates.

Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #452 on: March 06, 2012, 07:50:38 PM
haha ... well, just to be clear, I am not inherently attracted to that, either, but it's probably especially because I am not inherently attracted to the mindset that would live that way.  Perhaps that's falsely judgemental of me, as I actually have no idea what he is like as an individual, other than he obviously spends a lot of time in the gym - (what he's thinking during that time and his concept of life expression while there, is another matter).  Do I believe that's the way all men should look?  No, not necessarily (not literally in any way).  I also don't think that the only concept of female beauty should be an emaciated (often literally and truly), muscleless, brainwashed individual looking for approval from whomever.  I don't like the *mindset* and the mindset seems to govern the resulting appearance.  I also don't think the best use of masculine intellect is the one who is merely and equally brainwashed into believing that's the epitome of what is fulfilling to themselves as female beauty.  There's more to it than it being 'that simple', of course, but there's some truth in there.

So, fine, you people don't find muscular women to be attractive - in some cases that unattraction has much less to do with the object than it has to do with one's own insecurities.  I'm sure there are certain frames of mind who appreciate it, just as the average joe/jane doesn't truly stand in knowing awe and appreciation in what it takes to be a truly fine pianist ... while those who walk the road are probably capable of being the most appreciative in a fuller sense.

While I'm not aiming to be super muscular (and I think you actually only achieve that through body-building, specifically), I hate even saying that because I shouldn't have to assure anybody that "don't worry, I won't go too far into the realm of what you think is unattractive."  There are many types of bodies, not just one, and many types of feminine, many types of masculine.  I do appreciate intellect and individuality above all else, yes, I am quite sure about that.  But, as goes with anything, intellect and individuality are among those qualities where it matters not only what one has, but also how they are used.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #453 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:44 PM
haha ... well, just to be clear, I am not inherently attracted to that, either, but it's probably especially because I am not inherently attracted to the mindset that would live that way.  

There is a whole world of difference between Frank Zane and the roid bloated bodybuilders of today.

He is now in his mid 60's, in incredible shape for his age and busy coaching.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #454 on: March 06, 2012, 08:13:01 PM
And there is a world of difference between the photos of women that I am posting, and those who have truly just zaned out and gone freakishly muscular (by whatever means).  Most of the women I have posted are generally just highly developed athletes, who obviously put more time into it than I will ever plan to do (unless something changes).  Of course people are 'using' even in straight up athletics, and I certainly don't know all about that, but most of the women I have posted are just athletic and are *not* body builders, and so far there is no open-mindedness to that as being just as representative of female beauty as any other natural occurrence.  It's very possible that I myself will have more muscle definition (as fat is shed) than I do now because I am naturally built with muscles (who desire to be used daily) and unless I literally starve myself so that it literally dies away completely (or rather gets eaten away by the rest of my body), there is nothing I can do about that fact.  And, personal aspects aside, somebody would seriously find the latter more attractive??  That's seriously sad on so many levels, and even though it's strange sometimes to go against the norm, I can't say I am intellectually attracted to somebody who would prefer me as the latter, especially since it's most likely that person's own insecurities rather than the fact that I live my life naturally.  What on earth mindset in men (or in friends of either gender) should I emotionally or intellectually be attracted to, who requires my own mindset to be so depleted that I would prefer myself physically as the latter, just so as to appeal to the lower mindset of that individual?  That is unattractive to me and seems closed minded in most ways that I can imagine.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #455 on: March 06, 2012, 09:03:39 PM
You have lost me with that one foxy.

Thal :-*
Curator/Director

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #456 on: March 06, 2012, 09:11:49 PM
You have lost me with that one foxy.

Thal :-*

Yes, and they are also taking the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #457 on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:33 PM
i've caught two colds in the past 3 weeks each taking me out for the count for several days a piece, that's essentially two weeks of work (i.e. 3-4 days training per week to two total weeks or 1 training week). this sucks. i'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. my diet has stayed in check so i'm still leaning out but i'm not getting stronger, strength is always a goal.

oh i'll second the nod to mr zane. amazing figure athlete.  he had incredible symmetry and size and proportion ratios that i don't believe have been matched to date.  he was one of the greatest and last few in a line of 'golden age' bodybuilders that actually cared about aesthetics and athleticism (vs the mass monsters today).  i've always been a fan of his lines, also stemming along a tradition that the late and great steeve reeves really helped start.
zane

reeves

i mean c'mon the man was hercules, that made him an official bad a$$ for life

on the ladies side, i do think modern female bodybuilding although i admire the work and dedication it they show, has also found itself misguided like the mens side, but at least the sport of 'figure' which strives for 'muscularity' (i.e. body fat ratios to leaner less exagerated still feminine lines) with a beauty orientation i think is a step back in the right direction.  many of those ladies are quite pretty and some are damn good athletes/sports competitors too.

jalena abbou

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #458 on: March 07, 2012, 01:04:32 AM
i've caught two colds in the past 3 weeks each taking me out for the count for several days a piece, that's essentially two weeks of work (i.e. 3-4 days training per week to two total weeks or 1 training week).

I usually continue training to roughly 50% if I have a cold or minor illness. Unless I am running a temperature, in which case rest is the only option, I don't feel happy doing nothing, but the puffing and gasping involved certainly make things very unpleasant.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #459 on: March 07, 2012, 05:18:25 AM
i've caught two colds in the past 3 weeks each taking me out for the count for several days a piece, that's essentially two weeks of work (i.e. 3-4 days training per week to two total weeks or 1 training week). this sucks. i'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. my diet has stayed in check so i'm still leaning out but i'm not getting stronger, strength is always a goal.

Sorry to hear that!!! Take care, we've been missing you in the forum....

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #460 on: March 07, 2012, 08:33:09 AM
Yes, and they are also taking the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary.
Sorry to butt in on a subject of which my understanding seems to be more or less proportionate to my interest in personal involvement therein, but who are "they" is the above context and by what specific means do you see "them" as doing this?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #461 on: March 07, 2012, 12:24:33 PM

oh i'll second the nod to mr zane. amazing figure athlete.  he had incredible symmetry and size and proportion ratios that i don't believe have been matched to date.

Well said that man.

I wonder how many of today's bodybuilders will be enjoying a robust health in their 60's, if they ever reach that age of course.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #462 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:44 PM
I wonder how many of today's bodybuilders will be enjoying a robust health in their 60's, if they ever reach that age of course.
I don't wonder that personally because I don't really care and couldn't do anything about it even if I did, but you have a valid point nonetheless.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #463 on: March 07, 2012, 06:50:45 PM
I don't wonder that personally because I don't really care and couldn't do anything about it even if I did, but you have a valid point nonetheless.

I do have some sympathy for those with an occupation that has a short life span and you are over the hill at 30.

Us composers can still peak in our 90's and 100's should we live long enough and still be in possession of our wits.

There is a nice lead for a Carterful post.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #464 on: March 07, 2012, 08:56:18 PM
I do have some sympathy for those with an occupation that has a short life span and you are over the hill at 30.

Us composers can still peak in our 90's and 100's should we live long enough and still be in possession of our wits.

There is a nice lead for a Carterful post.
Then Carterpe Diem and write one!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #465 on: March 12, 2012, 03:13:53 AM
Strange... I lifted some weights a bit a few weeks ago.  Did that more than normal.

I've got stretch marks on my upper arms.  Haha.   Same place on each arm.  Maybe I just never noticed it before but I would think I would have noticed that.  That is strange....
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #466 on: March 15, 2012, 01:54:43 AM
Gorgeous, amazing, very cool, and pretty crazy!

https://www.wimp.com/eigerrecord/

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #467 on: March 15, 2012, 04:25:27 AM

Some might argue we're more likely to be in possession of our wits at that age due to the brain activity required to compose..

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #468 on: March 18, 2012, 01:50:07 PM

gosh and here i was wasting my all my time not stuffing my pie hole with junk and actually getting up and moving about and such...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #469 on: March 18, 2012, 01:51:59 PM
Possible the most ridiculous and worthless product I have ever seen.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #470 on: March 18, 2012, 02:36:19 PM
And no need for it if you have a brown Sharpie marker.  You can just draw those ripped abs on.

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #471 on: March 19, 2012, 06:20:51 AM

gosh and here i was wasting my all my time not stuffing my pie hole with junk and actually getting up and moving about and such...

Welcome back, Enrique!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #472 on: March 19, 2012, 03:58:11 PM
Kind of reminds me of hamburger patties with pre marked grill lines.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #473 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:18 AM
Kind of reminds me of hamburger patties with pre marked grill lines.
well if paired with a set of these beauties we've got steamed um...franks covered as well i suppose...

in all shapety shape seriousness (if i can even be that when headed int he direction i seem to have derailed things), i am soo incredibly happy to be off that stupid winter daylight savings krap...if anyone lives in a part of the world that doesn't mess with this nonsense count youself lucky. good riddence, i love having actual sunshine in the afternoon it makes training outstide so much more bearable, an honestly most of my best sessions are done  at a rugby field at the university nearby.  hurray for spring! and sprinting weather!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #474 on: March 21, 2012, 03:36:26 AM
I guess they didn't go for the "Swamp Ass Pants" name idea.

I've heard hot tubs can cause infertility.  I think those pants would ensure that the intelligence of the wearer isn't going to be passed down to future generations.

*Bob stills considers buying them anyway.*  And they're probably only $19.95 and you'd get extra stuff or two pairs or something.

Birght orange sweat filled shorts.... bulging belly with wired mesh marks... That's a quite a look.

For Daylight Saving Time, we just started it I think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
It's shifted an extra hour of daylight toward the evening.
I'd take that.  I'm looking at June 20th.  June 20th at 7:09pm (whatever time zone) is the summer soltice.  If we didn't go on daylight saving time the sun would be up too early, before I wake up for sure.  For that for me it works.  I don't like losing that hour of light in the evening in the fall though.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #475 on: March 21, 2012, 10:50:59 AM

For Daylight Saving Time, we just started it I think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
It's shifted an extra hour of daylight toward the evening.
I'd take that.  I'm looking at June 20th.  June 20th at 7:09pm (whatever time zone) is the summer soltice.  If we didn't go on daylight saving time the sun would be up too early, before I wake up for sure.  For that for me it works.  I don't like losing that hour of light in the evening in the fall though.
that's what i meant, i can't even keep the stupid name of the one in the spring straight vs the fall one...i understand what they're trying to do but it's dumb, just set half an hour between the two and leave it alone once and for all, we can just do something people did for thousands of years just fine, roll and adjust with the seasons accordingly. i just like the sun and bein out in it , don't mind me....

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #476 on: March 21, 2012, 12:13:37 PM
`

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #477 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:32 PM
i have had a great week or two lately now that i'm not in class (i had acouple weeks break to sleep, practice and exercise, life is good), i'm done with my busy spring term (my summer classes begin soon but at least they are only long in hours not so much heavy on needing to study and homework, that comes around again in august) piano summer term i'll start in july....

i have really enjoyed reconnecting with my inner shapety shape  as i had all but gone into maintenance and damage control mode a whole bunch as of late :o. but alas i am greateful i made it out with relatively little collateral damge (just some slight degradation on certain strength/gymnastics skills, but relearning is super duper quick!), a little loss in total or absolute strength, but almost no loss of relative strength. i think actually working out less helped me come in to may/june w a bit more muscle mass than i thought i would but i'm not quite as lean as i would hope to be by this late in the season. i'm still lean in that i have better than decent definition and muscularity but things are just not popping or as sharp as i like for this type of weather (it is bikini season after all ;D).

been watching some of this guys videos lately i normally scoff and make fun of the physique focused crowd (i steer my boat with performance oriented metrics and health goals on nutrition, the body just looks a certain way as an afterthought or happy side effect). still he has some sound and creative and effective stuff.

love this for it being so short and simple i.e no equipment, i think this way as i only left weights for a few exercises and play with bodyweight stuff the rest of the time.

good stuff here

edit i forgot to say this is great for the guys and gals.
same for her stuff, it's not just for the ladies, guys can benefit for the movements she demos here, here she does a nice job of tutorial breakdown to really help folks understand the movement mechanics properly

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #478 on: May 24, 2012, 05:59:08 PM
Thank you, Enrique, great videos!!!! I was just trying to organize a fitness routine for my next three months in Sardynia, trying  to save what can be saved from ageing and decaying  :'( :'( :'(   

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #479 on: May 25, 2012, 04:33:58 AM
I seldom see it spelled with a "y" but but will you have an internet connection out there? I never saw the reason to go that far so I stayed on shore in Positano. Fabulous!
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #480 on: May 25, 2012, 04:46:01 AM
Sardegna (it's the Italian name) is my native island. It's famous for its fabulous sea and beaches, rated among the first top ten in the world..."Chiare, fresche, dolci acque", and the smells, the colours: I love my land with all my heart!!!!!

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #481 on: May 25, 2012, 06:57:43 PM
I learn something new everyday. So I take it that you guys speak a kind of dialect out there or is it a literary language? I know that at one time before Italy became a country it had hundreds of local languages.

When I first came there in 1972 we only had RAI Uno in black and white. Then RAI due started up. The idea was to unite the country with the one language that was being broadcast by RAI uno.

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #482 on: May 25, 2012, 07:57:14 PM
A law of 1999 has recognized the status of language, and not a simple dialect, to the idiom spoken in Sardinia  (the ancient Greeks called the island Ichnusa), 400 years before the Italian language was born. This language has a structure, a syntax etc. of its own...So we are a linguistic minority :) :)

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #483 on: May 26, 2012, 04:51:14 AM
You see how things change. In the 70's the word was unification, especially in the journalistic circles that hung out in the bars around Pza Mazzini.

I'm all for preserving language and culture from the past. I'm not in favor of fostering a country within a country.

My friends and I would go to Frascati every Sunday for lunch. My native Italian friends gave up trying to be understood and we foreigners just spoke English with perfect results.

Hve fun out there!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #484 on: May 26, 2012, 02:49:48 PM

Me summer bike is now ready for action, so no doubt I will burn immense calories tomorrow.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #485 on: May 26, 2012, 04:55:24 PM

Me summer bike is now ready for action, so no doubt I will burn immense calories tomorrow.

Thal

That is just gorgeous! Don't forget to invest in some lighting. I like those cheap LED blinking ones that you wear.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #486 on: May 26, 2012, 05:10:20 PM
I took the lights off. Too much weight.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #487 on: May 27, 2012, 01:02:53 PM

Thal
dude, that is a sweet a$$ friggin' ride! rock on man!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #488 on: May 27, 2012, 05:55:53 PM
Did a short 10 mile ride today. No doubt me gears will take a little while to settle in and I have never had a bike with SRAM gears before.

Thinner tyres mean a slightly more uncomfortable ride, but this beast runs like a dream and gearing is idea for the "heavier" ride.

600 calories have been burned according to me Garmin.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #489 on: May 30, 2012, 12:55:27 PM
yesterday's impromptu workout was better than i initially thought it was. i woke up with some great soreness and fatigue where i meant for but more of it overall than i anticipated. a few achy spots in places i didn't think would hurt are also barking at me quite a bit today.
success!

here's how it went down
as usual this was an outdoors afair with little in the way of training equipment just my gymanstics rings and an empty 55 gallon steel drum they use for a trash can.

did it in cyles for approx 20 minutes, total cycles didn't count i use time but probably on the order of 6-9
these are the rings i use, best piece of equipment i have purchased ever!

i would like for it to have been heavier but it oh well, it was super hot out (about 99 F) so the heat factored into the fatigue a bit, still a decent w.o
1- 1x slow ( non kip) muscle up
2- 3 barrel snatches with full dephth overhead squat catch
rest a short bit, repeat before fully rested

finisher-50 yard bear crawls, 3x rest 30 seconds between.
then a 45 minute walk for extra fat burn .

in other shapety shape thoughts, i always admired apollo creed, i mean sure rocky gets all the glory but it says a lot about his character to take an enemy like rocky and become best friends..also his physique to me remains one of the most balanced symmetrical and functional (i.e. no disproportionate amount of development that would hinder mobility or performance) of the whole series...

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #490 on: May 30, 2012, 05:35:27 PM
I'm impressed by your training routine  :o :o :o....and I agree, Apollo is GORGEOUS  :P :P :P :P :P

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #491 on: May 30, 2012, 10:55:07 PM
I'm impressed by your training routine  :o :o :o....and I agree, Apollo is GORGEOUS  :P :P :P :P :P
nothing all that impressive really. those steel barrels only weight about 50 lbs.

todays was arguable much more 'brutal' and relatively unglamorous.  again i prefer the heat of the day (part of conditioning to be used to high work output in hot conditins).  did 5 sets 200 yard sprints/fast runs at the rugby  field (100 yard length 2x). that's it. it sucked.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: Project Shapety Shape-russia
Reply #492 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:03 PM
more proof that everything russian/former soviet is just plain more hard core. here i go for a run or workout out and call it good. there? meh deaf defying life on the line stroll on the neighborhood crane is just another afteroon. i dont know ... i grew up w this silly notion of valuing my life. i'm such a whimp.

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #493 on: June 02, 2012, 03:11:24 PM
... i grew up w this silly notion of valuing my life. i'm such a whimp.

Please, promise us that you'll keep on valuing your life....

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #494 on: June 03, 2012, 12:17:56 AM

https://www.crossfittakeover.com/
entry on 5/31/12

the keen eye will notice she was in the middle of a sprint between olympic weightlifting and some other probably just as hard activtiy (the oly lifting shoes are the giveaway clue).  

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Re: Project Shapety Shape-russia
Reply #495 on: June 04, 2012, 03:27:52 PM
more proof that everything russian/former soviet is just plain more hard core. here i go for a run or workout out and call it good. there? meh deaf defying life on the line stroll on the neighborhood crane is just another afteroon. i dont know ... i grew up w this silly notion of valuing my life. i'm such a whimp.

You won't me up there! My friend rents those cranes. He will only trust himself to put the pins in correctly on final assembly. For him it is a daily walk.

Euro Cup starts this week in the Ukraine. Does anyone know who the favorites are?

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #496 on: June 04, 2012, 07:42:55 PM

Euro Cup starts this week in the Ukraine. Does anyone know who the favorites are?

Not Italy, I'm afraid  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #497 on: June 04, 2012, 10:09:24 PM
My two heritages NL-DK play each other Saturday with the son of a family friend wearing #2 for NL. I'm a split fan...

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #498 on: June 05, 2012, 10:27:24 PM
new school schedule sucks. stuck in a classroom all freakin day so i am having to make a mad scramble to rearrange my piano practice schedule and my training split to make sure i prioritize the primary goals and just let the smaller goals and side work either fall off to the side or only hit it if and where there are pockets of 'extra' time.  hope to have it squared away soon as it will be crazy nuts busy on my end till some time in august....

still i caught a quickie 20 minute strength circuit yesterday and am actually sore from using a movement i seldom utilize. also am considering adding weighted barbell glute bridges back into the strength mix on hip dominant days.  next to sprinting, lunging, squatting and deadlifting, it's prolly the single most effective 'accessory' movement i can use in terms of bang for the buck, and with time a priority i need to choose movements carefully.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #499 on: June 06, 2012, 04:02:46 AM
I've discovered where that fat went that got raptured away so long ago.  It's reappeared.

*Bob ponders this while eating another yogurt.*

You see what it means though, don't you?  My fat can time travel.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert