Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: piano affecting your technique?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
piano affecting your technique?
on: August 12, 2004, 05:24:11 AM
i was just thinking- does the type of piano you practice affect your technique? like if you practice on a crappy piano will your technique disinegrate into badness and vice versa with a bril piano?
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline Fingerz_Xtrodinair

• PS Silver Member
Re: piano affecting your technique?
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 07:53:29 AM
I actually happen to believe that yes, the piano that you play on day in and day out will eventually catch up with you and will inhibit you from reaching your full technical ability. This is only true however to a certain point, the fine line where the problem is due to the instrument, or the musician playing the instrument.

Offline Fingerz_Xtrodinair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:01:37 AM
I believe that yes in fact the instrument that you play on day in and day out will eventually catch up with you and it will inevitably inhibit you from reaching your full potential as a musican and from reaching your full technical ability. I however, also believe that there is a fine line that is almost undistinguishable and that is the line that defines the problem as being the musician or the musician's instrument.

Offline jr11

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 06:19:48 PM
I believe that is a huge problem, no matter if your piano is top of the line or junk. All instruments behave differently, and it is always intimidating to play on an unfamiliar one when it counts... like an exam or competition.

About the only way to aid this problem is to try to practice on as many different pianos as possible, good and bad.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert