Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Favorite nonmusical artists  (Read 1442 times)

Offline madvillain

• PS Silver Member
Favorite nonmusical artists
on: April 15, 2011, 05:21:20 AM
I've really enjoyed Dostoveysky and virginia woolf, I just finished the idiot and it was very interesting!
My two favorite painters are probably Van Gosh and Kandinsky
I recently watched this movie Mishima that had a very strong impression on me, and the writter also wrote Taxi driver, also a wonderful film! 
Lets talk about art!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favorite nonmusical artists
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:45:57 AM
Van Gosh?!  Any relation to Van Gogh?
Caravaggio, Monet.
Hermann Hesse and Carlos Castaneda have most influenced my life, though I wouldn't consider the latter a great writer.

Offline madvillain

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:55:57 AM
yes van Gogh! ha
Caravaggio is interesting, i haven't taken as much time to appreciate and familiarize myself with that older barque style, though I remember doing a school project on The Birth of Venus, what a beautiful painting!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:07:30 PM
 I think the birth of Venus you're talking about is the one by Botticelli  in Florence.  Caravaggio painted a completely different genre.  Mostly regligious works but with a very real emphasis on the human condition.

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 12:19:42 AM
Good thread!  I love movies and TV shows.  Some of my favorite directors: David Lynch, Brett Sullivan, David Fincher, David Cronenberg, Stanley Kubrick.

Favorite actors: Jeremy Irons, Emily Perkins, Tatiana Maslany, Brad Pitt, Jodie Foster, Lance Henriksen.

Favorite TV shows: Monty Python's Flying Circus, Twin Peaks, X-Files, Millenium, Da Vinci's Inquest, Bones

And more!

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:32 AM
Authors: James Joyce, particularly Finnegans Wake, Aldous Huxley, Guy de Maupassant, M.R James, Algernon Blackwood.

Painters: Maxfield Parrish, most of the impressionists, the luminists, much naive art and outsider art, mathematical and algorithmic art.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:51 AM
William Blake!
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline madvillain

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 05:17:28 AM
mathematical and algorithmic art :o sounds interesting.  I remember telling someone i liked math rock and they laughed quite a bit :)

what was Finnegans Wake like Ted?  I know its famously "difficult"  what sort of an impression did it leave?  I started portrait of an artist once but never finished

Daivd lynch is wonderful, mulholland drive is such a beautiful movie!  What are your personal favorites cherub?

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 06:57:38 AM
Algorithmic art has been an interest for years. I became tired of fractals and wanted to develop purely heuristic code which produced interesting results more quickly, not necessarily involving deep mathematical principles.

Finnegans Wake is Joyce's final and culminating novel. In it, he uses what might be called word music, an abstract vocabulary of his own, which nonetheless has meaning based on the reader's reaction to the words in terms of sound and association. It abounds in multilingual wordplay, puns and every linguistic device you could imagine, plus many of his own creation. It is a long book, to be read slowly and savoured, but is as "difficult" as you wish to make it. I was lucky to have a close friend who was a very well read Dubliner and he explained its many historical and literary references to me. However, just as you can read Ulysses and get much out of it without an intimate knowledge of the parallel mythology, so it is not crucial to understand all the strands of meaning within Finnegans Wake. It is also very humorous in parts, a fact which seems to escape most of its serious devotees.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline balfour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:43:31 PM
Well I have two most favorite Non-Musical artists in my life . That are as below

Stephen Kasner
Rozz Williams

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:10:52 PM
mathematical and algorithmic art :o sounds interesting.  I remember telling someone i liked math rock and they laughed quite a bit :)

what was Finnegans Wake like Ted?  I know its famously "difficult"  what sort of an impression did it leave?  I started portrait of an artist once but never finished

Daivd lynch is wonderful, mulholland drive is such a beautiful movie!  What are your personal favorites cherub?

My favourite works of Lynch would have to be the Twin Peaks show, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.  I stumbled upon Lost Highway for the first time, back in the late 90s because the soundtrack had some tracks by Nine Inch Nails and Smashing Pumpkins on it.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:25:02 PM
Favourite non-musical artist???

Lang Lang      ;D

Just kidding... Da Vinci - a man who took the time to put the most incredible amount of beauty, detail and time into his works.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert