Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Austrian Contemporary Composers  (Read 2418 times)

Offline PeterPan

• PS Silver Member
Austrian Contemporary Composers
on: January 02, 2003, 05:51:15 PM
Hi, all & Happy 2003!
All of you know & play Austria's great old masters, but are you also familiar with Austria's great composers of today? I want to recommend you two of my personal favourites whose piano compositions in my opinion are truly worth to be discovered and played around the globe.
JENOE TAKÁCS (born 1902 - yes, he became 100 last year!): Probably the most famous living composer in Austria. Lots of great compositions for piano (recordings available)! Besides being a composer & pianist & travelling the world, Takács was also a piano teacher (1927-34 Philippines, 1934-37 Egypt, 1939-48 Hungary, 1952-70 USA at the University of Cincinnati).
ROLAND BATIK (born 1951): Great piano music for all of you who like Cross-Over & Jazzy influences. Batik also performs his music (recordings available). I LOVE his Piano Concerto No. 1 which is played quite often in Europe. This is one of the rare contemporary pieces, where concert audiences give standing ovations and cry for repeats of whole movements - I swore... it's amazing!
Both composers are published by the Viennese publisher DOBLINGER. If you want more information, let me know or check out their homepage www.doblinger-musikverlag.at
All the best,
PeterPan

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Austrian Contemporary Composers
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 05:54:56 AM
What about Shoenberg, Berg and Webern?
Do you like their music??
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert