Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Chromatic scales in thirds  (Read 1998 times)

Offline super_ardua

• PS Silver Member
Chromatic scales in thirds
on: August 13, 2004, 06:22:31 PM
What is the most effective fingering for you,  major and minor?
We must do,  we shall do!!!

Offline in_love_with_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chromatic scales in thirds
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 07:00:16 PM
On the right hand descending in minor thirds I use 2-4 and 1-3 for thirds that are a white and a black key, and for thirds that are both white keys I use 3-5. Descending major thirds....it depends on what third you're starting on, how long the sequence is, etc. I use some awkward fingerings. Right hand ascending minor thirds I use again 2-4 and 1-3 for thirds that are white and black keys, and 1-5 for thirds that have two white keys. Again, my fingering for ascending major thirds varies.

On the left hand descending minoir I use 1-3 and 2-4 for the thirds with white and black keys, and 1-5 for those that are both white. Descending and ascending major the fingering varies, and ascending minor I use 1-3 and 2-4 for the white and black thirds, and 3-5 for the both white thirds.
wOOt! I have a website now! It's spiffy!

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chromatic scales in thirds
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 09:10:22 PM
This website should help with minor thirds: https://www.leopoldgodowsky.com/jonas5.pdf

I use a different fingering for ascending in the right hand though.  The easiest one i have found is: (starting on C and Eb) 13, 24, 15, 23, 24, 13, 24, 13, 24, 15, 23, 24, 13 (starts over).  The 23-24 is simply a slide on the second finger.  For descending in the right hand I have never had to do it, so i would probably just use one that is listed on the website.  Or same thing for the left hand.

Major thirds I have never messed with.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert