\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Rachmaninov Prelude in D Major, Op. 23 no. 4 (Read 10159 times)

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
Rachmaninov Prelude in D Major, Op. 23 no. 4
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

piano sheet music of Prelude

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninov Prelude in D Major, Op. 23 no. 4 (kinda wild)
«Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
Hey, there's nothing wrong with improv.  You should play from your heart.  It sounded good.
I don't practice.  I call it play because I enjoy it. --A quote by Floyd Cramer.

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
Re: Rachmaninov Prelude in D Major, Op. 23 no. 4
«Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:13:21 AM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:53:43 PM »
You want notes that aren't on the page, let me play for you.  I'm allergic to playing notes on a page, lol.
I don't practice.  I call it play because I enjoy it. --A quote by Floyd Cramer.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
Mayla, it's beautiful . . . What is this magnificent instrument you are playing on?  And just out of my own curiosity, what is the recording device you used?

Mike

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »
Heck yeah, Yamaha!!!  And yes, I'm allergic to playing by a score.  It makes me claustrophobic like I'm in a box.

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 05:22:15 PM »

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »
I'm no expert by any means, but I know what sounds good and that definitely did.

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 06:10:13 AM »
It's been a long time since you've been in here (other than the Abegg). :)  I love listening to this, and I've listened to it several times.  I'm hearing much in your playing that I've never heard before, and that is exciting.  The big passage (2:35) is terrific.  The beauty in your playing. :)  You do play it quite faster than what Rach calls for.  I would slow it down and let it ooze more.    

You're going to be a great pianist. :)

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
Mayla!  Right now I am on a Les Adieux sonata kick, and find that the strains of it, especially the last movement, come on so strong in my mind that all other thoughts about music get completely eclipsed.  I probably offended a lot of people when I wrote, in another forum here, that I thought Chopin's opus 10 no. 8 was no Les Adieux sonata.  But thanks for sharing your rendition of this prelude, and whenever you want to post something in the audition room, feel free;  I will appreciate it very much.  I think Rach op. 39 no. 6 might even get past the Les Adieux sonata.

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »

Offline can

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
Wonderful..
But rather than improvisation.. I prefer to call it articulation of feelings. It also happened to me sometimes. Your interpretation is so natural, spontaneous, and full of emotions. Bravo
“Perfection itself is imperfection.”<br />Vladimir Horowitz

Offline mnmleung

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:31:52 AM »
I love it, thank you Mayla
learning
Chopin etude op 10 no 6
Chopin mazurka op 24 no 4
Szymanowski prelude op 1 no 1

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »

Online thalbergmad

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
Nice playing Foxy, I am well impressed.

Although I am not in a position to comment as I am not in your league, I hope you don't mind me saying that I thought it just a little fast in sections.

If something is that beautiful, is it not worth hanging on just a little longer?

Luv

Thal

Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »

Online thalbergmad

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »
I can understand where you are coming from.

Recently, I recorded the first movement of a Sonata by Woelfl and I was amazed how different the recording was to how I felt when I was playing it.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 01:35:38 AM »

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »

Online thalbergmad

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »
Does it mean you are considering posting it?  :)

Never in a million years.

Posting recordings is just too personal for me.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
I really love your playing Mayla!  8)  :) I was listening to your recording and at the same time looking at some other things on the internet and then all of a sudden I didn't even know what I was doing and exactly where I was cause your playing made me feel like I was in another world or something!  :P  8)  :)

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 02:31:20 AM »

Offline mnmleung

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 05:18:38 AM »
I have not listened to the new sound clip yet, Mayla.  I look forward to it.  Just want to share some thoughts after hearing your first recording (more than once).

I am not a very good swimmer, but I tried to do 600m every time I went to the pool.  That was a couple of years ago.  To help me count, I would mentally listen to Rakhmaninov's op 23 no 1 during my first 100m, then op 23 no 2 the 2nd 100m and so on up to op 23 no 6.  But I have not swum for a while now, and last week I started again, initially with 300m (while our 3 year old has his 30 mins swim class).  Today is the 2nd time I swam 400m and it is the first time I got back to listening to Rakhmaninov's op 23 in my head during the swim.

Something in your phrasing or shaping stood out because it was something I had not heard before, and I like it.  And I was going over it during my 4th lap.

I actually performed op 23 nos 4 and 6 about 20 years ago at a concert (plus 2 other pieces).  I had two copies of the music so I spread them out, and played from copy, without having to page-turn.  I think it is far better to tell the story from memory as you did, and "risk" having the odd "adventure" in the middle, than play the printed notes, but not necessarily have a strong feeling how the story goes part of the way ...

I have been reading about Scott Ross http://scott.ross.voila.net/srconfng.html
"You can't play music if you're too preoccupied with false notes".

Looking forward to listening to the 2nd sound clip when I am done with today's work.

Ming
learning
Chopin etude op 10 no 6

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »

Offline mnmleung

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 12:38:44 AM »
I have listened to the 2nd clip once.  I like both, congratulations.  And it is interesting to hear the improvisation.  I doubt if the Mayla-sections will play in my head when I go for a swim next time :)  Apologies if what I say implies I want to nit pick: I thought I'd share my initial reaction and hopefully you will take whatever is of use, and discard the rest.

The impression I have (for now) is that there is again a lovely line and a sense of direction, even at a slowly tempo.  I find more instances of slowing down in the new clip: I actually found the 1st clip flows better not so much because it is faster, but fewer stop/starts.

In the 2nd clip sometimes the non-melody-parts get loud enough to compete with the melody line, for example in the 3rd beats of bars 13 and 14.  I went back to the 1st clip and I think I did not notice it as much because it was moving faster.  Less time for my mind to wander ?!

The 1/8th notes + 2x 1/16th notes against triplets (like the 3rd beat in bar 5) figures feel more like triplets in the 2nd clip: I miss hearing them as written.  I tried doing it myself but I find it very tricky.

That's all from me.

You got me looking at the score and trying bits out on the piano ... thank you Mayla.
learning
Chopin etude op 10 no 6

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »