Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Haydn Piano Sonata No. 62 in E-flat major, Hob. XVI/52  (Read 6062 times)

Offline can

• PS Silver Member
I'm looking forward to your comments/suggestions. Thank you

Mov. 1

Mov. 2

Mov. 3
“Perfection itself is imperfection.”<br />Vladimir Horowitz

Offline pada

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn Piano Sonata No. 62 in E-flat major, Hob. XVI/52
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:18:10 PM
Very solid playing!

Just had in mind, that maybe you could think about the registers a bit more. Especially in the second movement the melody sometimes drowns in the chords. Maybe let the upper register ("diamond" of the instrument) sparkle more and beware the middle/low registers because they overwhelm so easily. The low strings of a grand make more sound to the audience because they are thicker and closer to the cover. I´m just a student myself but I always enjoy getting/giving opinions regardless of the level. Enjoyed the sonata :)

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn Piano Sonata No. 62 in E-flat major, Hob. XVI/52
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:49:43 PM
Very entertaining!  I guess that, after doing Chopin opus 48 no. 1, this Haydn sonata was like "Mary Had a Little Lamb" to you, by comparison.  Perhaps you were a little nervous, though, because I could tell the score was not exactly followed in a few places.  The G-minor chord at measure 56 could have been held a little longer for better effect, I think.  I couldn't tell what fingering you used for the right hand at measure 17, 18, etc. -- I guess you can do whatever you please -- but I found, when I studied this piece, that I did better putting the 3rd, instead of the 5th finger on the high C, and then going 214321232.  This had the desirable effect using the power of the thumb for the first beat of measure 18, at the same time that the repeated octave is thundering in the bass looking for balance.  Oh, and by the way, this is a great piece to show off at parties.  I've done it thus.  Of course, that means memorizing it!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert