Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: New Improv 27/5/11  (Read 1705 times)

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
New Improv 27/5/11
on: May 27, 2011, 10:58:59 PM
A new improv that i think expresses alot of emotions and thoughts going through me right now, which is afterall what improvising is all about. Please comment and enjoy

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: New Improv 27/5/11
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:35:44 AM
That was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this. what sort of piano do you have? I'm thinking of upgrading my own eventually (though, using pianoteq is helping me produce nicer recordings without having to get a new instrument). I know it is digital but I forget what make. I'm really enjoying your new "bravura" that you've introduced into your style.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:16:11 AM
This is easily the most Chopinesque of all the improvs I've heard from you, Chopinatic! It is a very interesting layering effect you've got going, and some playing that is even purely virtuosic. There seems to be a new, intensely dramatic voice emerging from you! Quite a thrill indeed!
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:22:38 AM
This is exquisite. This is very,very good. It is everything fine romantic piano music should be:  nostalgic, longing, a psyche attempting to recapture a state of ecstasy, which feat it knows is impossible, but which it is powerless not to desire. That moment, the change, at precisely 1:50 is beautiful. How I wish I could execute things like that more often.

I suppose one must attempt the objective part. I felt spontaneous opportunities for counterpoint could have been seized more often to energise special moments. But personal improvisation is, after all, just that, and this observation is more of the nature of what I would have done, and in that sense is possibly invalid.

This is one for my CD.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:20:43 PM
Derek:
Thanks for listening. Yes sadly I use a digital piano, although it is great to play, as near as i can get to the real thing on my budget. It is a Yamaha Clavinova CPL 240. Their slightly dated now and can be picked up at a bargin price. I record using a lexicon alpha modulator box hooked up to my laptop using cubase software! Again, all on a budget! "bravura"? Thanks, i think im just developing more confidence in my improvising, daring to try new things and more virtuoso type techniques, but i still like to keep some element of simplicity in the music.

furtwaengler:

Thank you, i feel that being away from the piano for a while and coming back has somehow made me push my abilitys, playing and exploring to a new level, theres a long way to go, but as long as i dont shy away from the emotional and melodic side of my improvising I will continue to push myself. Thanks for your kind comment

Ted:

Thank you Ted. It would be an honor to be included in your CD.
I wish I could execute the change at 1:50 more ofen also, its strange how easy it is to sometimes stumble upon a phrase or change that was not intended but somehow works. I'll take your objections into account into my next improv, although sometimes i dont think musically, i just let my hands do the talking and thinking, when i over think my improvising they tend to come out very badly.
Thank you for listening and commenting

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:11:28 PM
A response to chopinatic's lyricism.

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 03:01:30 PM
Great stuff, I liked the melodies in there, really reflective feel for the most, beautiful and thought provoking. I especially liked the ending of the first part before changes to the block chords. Thanks for sharing
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert