Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Ravel's Une Barque sur L'Ocean help?  (Read 6661 times)

Offline arvhaax93

• PS Silver Member
Ravel's Une Barque sur L'Ocean help?
on: May 29, 2011, 02:38:23 AM
I am currently learning this piece and I do not find it too difficult, except for the part where I have rapid multi-note tremolos in the right hand while the left has quick ascending arpeggios.  I am not sure how to organize the rhythm of the tremolo over the arpeggio.  In each bar, the left hand arpeggios are separated into 3 groups and at the beginning of each group marks where I believe the tremolo would be on the beginning notes (B and D#). 

For the 3 separate groups in the left hand, the first 2 have 9 notes, the 3rd has 13.  How should i organize the rhythm of the tremolo over it?  How should I practice it slowly? 

I'm also aware that this piece has many of the tremolo over arpeggio type of deal, but they vary in different keys and the left hand is organized differently (especially in the ones near the end of the piece)  Is there anything different I should do when approaching those?

Also, what fingers would you recommend I play the tremolo with? (The tremolo that alternates B and D# with E#)
Currently Learning:
Mozart Sonata in D Major K. 284
Chopin Etude Op. 25 No. 1 "Aeolian Harp"
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 1 in F# minor, Op. 1

Offline mcjanes

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ravel's Une Barque sur L'Ocean help?
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:11:27 AM
You're thinking too much and getting bogged down in the rhythm. The tremolo in the right hand isn't measured...just play it! Barque isn't supposed to have a clear pulse...it's mimicking ocean waves, remember - the rhythm has to be VERY free, otherwise it would sound too technical.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert