Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: schumanns kinderszenen  (Read 9513 times)

Offline gradedpiano

• PS Silver Member
schumanns kinderszenen
on: June 03, 2011, 04:04:37 PM
could anyone tell me what grade the pieces included in schumanns kinderszenen are, mainly about strange lands and people. Im going to play a few for a music exam i have at my school, they have to be grade 6 or above abrsm standard. thanks

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Re: schumanns kinderszenen
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:39:23 PM
Aren't the grades/levels mentioned here in the sheet music section the same as abrsm? Doesn't abrsm have a website or official list?
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline gradedpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:10:17 PM
i had looked on the abrsm site but couldnt find anything, as for this site it seems to use a level system which seems a bit off to me

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 05:02:37 PM
It strikes me that an institution making a requirement to play pieces of a certain level must have access to some sort of list. Otherwise how will they know if what you prepare fits or not?

I think they must tell you where that list is located.

BTW the life of a student is no bed of roses. During my 20 years as a student I was constantly confronted with vague or unspecified requirements. Many good hours were spent trying to figure out what they meant. Sometimes a formal complaint had to be filed with the dean of students.

I also play that piece displayed in your post and I'm no Horowitz.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 11:45:08 PM
It strikes me that an institution making a requirement to play pieces of a certain level must have access to some sort of list. Otherwise how will they know if what you prepare fits or not?

I think they must tell you where that list is located.

BTW the life of a student is no bed of roses. During my 20 years as a student I was constantly confronted with vague or unspecified requirements. Many good hours were spent trying to figure out what they meant. Sometimes a formal complaint had to be filed with the dean of students.

I also play that piece displayed in your post and I'm no Horowitz.

Indeed I also couldn't find a general list referring to the ABRSM grades. And I have searched a lot.

Probably that has to do with their marketing strategy. They make up new lists every other year and publish music according to these, so you have to buy their editions, because there are no other pieces allowed than those in their lists, as far as I know.

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:09:19 AM
AMEB, which I believe is similar to ABRSM, has Kuriose Geschichte at Grade 5 and I think that's the only piece they have!

The ABRSM syllabus is here
https://www.abrsm.org/regions/fileadmin/user_upload/syllabuses/pianoComplete11.pdf

and doesn't mention kinderszenen at any level!

The 1986 AMEB syllabus has No. 10 and No. 5 for sixth grade.

The NZMEB syllabus
https://www.nzmeb.org/download/Syllabuses/Performance_Piano.pdf
has No. 1 Fremden Lane und Menschen and No. 2 Kuriose Geschichte at grade 5 and at grade 6 No. 5, 7, 3 and 6.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 03:53:42 PM
Now I know why a piece I'm trying to play is so difficult. I found it on the grade 8 list!

It's going to be a while before it is ready...

Thanks for finding the syllabus.

Offline amie_de_chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:22:30 PM
I thought "About strange lands and people" was one of the easiest in the collection...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert